2022 594 tuner replacement?

Jaysop

Hey all,
I have a 22 594 that has the vintage non locking tuners. They don’t really do it for me.
Somewhat gritty, the mechanism feels somewhat loose, and I don’t like the white plastic buttons. They do hold tune well though.

I love the look of the smoked black tuners on some of the wood library guitars.
What I’m looking for is locking tuners with blackish/dark colored buttons that have the same footprint of the vintage tuners.

Also willing to replace buttons on something like the locking klusons. Not a huge fan of the tulip shape, can that be changed for something similar in shape to the phase 3s?

Does such a tuning machine exist?

Yea my original plan when I was buying the guitar was to swap out to the phase IIIs
What I hadn’t considered was the imprint the bigger enclosed vintage style would leave.

I just read on Reddit that someone was able to swap out the buttons on a CE24 for kluson Revolution buttons. I’m wondering if I can get my hands on PRS shaped buttons and put them on the Revolutions

Not sure about Klusons, buddy. What I'm sure of is Gotoh selling Kluson-style tuners, though.

I had order a set of vintage style Gotohs. I don’t remember if the buttons were replaceable but they were very green.

You could reach out to John Mann, he offers a conversion service, to make your tuners into lockers.

He may also be able to help them be “not gritty”.

You could reach out to John Mann, he offers a conversion service, to make your tuners into lockers.

He may also be able to help them be “not gritty”.
I’ve looked at his. He has a locking black tulip set.
Unfortunately in the last 2 months of owning this guitar, PRS has been kind enough to replace 2 tuning machines from bad worm gears. I’m not against trying out a different manufacturers’s tuner.
PRS told me Gotoh makes theirs.

I have a love/hate relationship with the idea of loving that it was a brand new guitar but wishing it had the tuners of the original version.

I had to take 2 off of mine to swap out. The indents seem much deeper than yours but it may only look that way because the back of mine is black.
Do you think light steam (through a rag) would damage the finish at all?

You can swap the buttons on the klusons locking revolutions. They are not compatible to my knowledge with contemporary style buttons like phase 3. They sell tulip style and round style. I did full nickel for my silver sky se and have used full black in the past on a 594. Excellent smooth tuners.

For anyone interested, I installed a set of the Kluson Revolutions. The buttons from a take off set of Fender tuners fit perfectly. The button from a phase III did not.
With knowing those fit, I think I’ll try to order some time ninja R is rosewood. I think that’ll end up being the look I’m going for.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Back