2021 Studio First Gig

Patrick Montgomery

Just one more...
I got to take my new studio to it’s first gig this weekend and let me say...wow! We haven’t practiced since I got it, so this is the first time I got to hear it in a mix and I cannot recommend this model enough. The 2 position with the 58/15 split was clear, articulate and quacky. The 4 position with the volume rolled back was perfect for SRV tones, and was super full and great for clean solos with the volume at 10. The bridge position cut through the mix perfectly and was great for heavier stuff, while tapping it had a sweet crunch sound. So many options here, I highly recommend it! Here are some pics I snapped at the gig.

P.S. We’ve all been vaccinated and wore masks when not on stage

Dk5ji4n.jpg

lmayTnZ.jpg

Yes sir! I can't wait to get back out there. I just got fully vaxxed. My singer just had surgery. So by the time she is all healed up in a few weeks, we should be ready to at LEAST get back to some rehearsals. Kinda jealous here :rolleyes:

Yes sir! I can't wait to get back out there. I just got fully vaxxed. My singer just had surgery. So by the time she is all healed up in a few weeks, we should be ready to at LEAST get back to some rehearsals. Kinda jealous here :rolleyes:
Our bars and restaurants still have restrictions.. but personally I like playing 8-11 instead of 10-12!

Sure are! We were playing in Lexington, but the band lives in a few surrounding counties.
Had some great times in Lexington on a couple of golf trips back in the late 90s. Stayed right across from Rupp. I thought it was a Raddison, but looks like a Hilton now. An afternoon at Keaneland, and some stupid nights at places like Pure Gold, Club A1A, and some bar close to downtown with a great patio. Can't recall the name of that place, or the really nice place across from the hotel. On the corner of Main and Broadway. Great bourbon selection. Doesn't look like its there anymore. Oh, and along some railroad tracks running next to a golf course, is my 7 iron. Snapped in two after I threw it and it bounce off a tree. :p

I used Dr. Z Prescription, Friedman BE-50, Soldano SLO-100, and some /13 amp I like but forgot the model. I wanted to have a performance with different profiles for every song but the other guitarist complained about it a lot when I did that before.. ‍♂️
Nice! Why the other guy snivel about different profiles?
Also, were you in the PA/FOH or just using the Kabinet?

Nice! Why the other guy snivel about different profiles?
Also, were you in the PA/FOH or just using the Kabinet?

I was just through the Kabinet, we only had vocals and kick in the mains - it was a very small room. Personally, I would prefer to run the head straight into the PA and never bring the kabinet. At 95% of our gigs the monitors are so loud I can’t hear the little cab anyway... but he complains about that too and says it just doesn’t feel the same (even though he’s not playing it) lol.

He didn’t like the individual profiles because he said it was “too jarring.” With that endeavor I used the amp profiles (or modern equivalents like Friedman) that were actually used in the cover songs we do. I spent a ton of time tweaking them to the exact tones/effects/dynamics, setting levels of 60+ songs with a dB meter and my ears. But when some people complain enough you get tired of hearing it! He also really hates when I have any mids in my tone (like even at 12 o’clock). But I prefer peace, too many bands break up for stupid crap and sometimes it’s not worth it. Although next gig I’m thinking about going back to the individual performances to see if he even notices lol.

Good thing they were there! The stage is only as big as the picture, and was about 4ft high. There was no room for stands!

Yeah I wouldn’t leave a guitar like that on a stand on a 4ft stage!

Oh, and along some railroad tracks running next to a golf course, is my 7 iron. Snapped in two after I threw it and it bounce off a tree. :p

For me, it would be my driver on the train tracks beside Monifieth Golf course!;)

I was just through the Kabinet, we only had vocals and kick in the mains - it was a very small room. Personally, I would prefer to run the head straight into the PA and never bring the kabinet. At 95% of our gigs the monitors are so loud I can’t hear the little cab anyway... but he complains about that too and says it just doesn’t feel the same (even though he’s not playing it) lol.

He didn’t like the individual profiles because he said it was “too jarring.” With that endeavor I used the amp profiles (or modern equivalents like Friedman) that were actually used in the cover songs we do. I spent a ton of time tweaking them to the exact tones/effects/dynamics, setting levels of 60+ songs with a dB meter and my ears. But when some people complain enough you get tired of hearing it! He also really hates when I have any mids in my tone (like even at 12 o’clock). But I prefer peace, too many bands break up for stupid crap and sometimes it’s not worth it. Although next gig I’m thinking about going back to the individual performances to see if he even notices lol.
Jeez... I've got maybe 30 different profiles I use and it doesn't bother anybody. Dude sounds picky AF.

Jeez... I've got maybe 30 different profiles I use and it doesn't bother anybody. Dude sounds picky AF.
Yep, he has a nickname that sounds like Tone not see. And he plays a Katana out, and IMO the Kemper is 400x better. His thing is he wants it all to sound like the same amp, and I can see where he’s coming from but it just seems like a waste to me. He is also the best musician in our band so he can get away with a lot. I know I’m making him sound like a jerk but he’s not, he’s actually one of my best friends.

Back