2021 PRS SE Zach Myers Pickup Rings? And Full Modification Update

anthonylbest

I dig music!
I recently purchased a new 2021 ZM with the intent to do massive upgrades. I have found there is actually not much at all that needs upgrading.

The first thing to note is the standard PRS SE nor the USA Core Pickup rings fit the Zach Myers, and I need to find cream rings that will fit. Any help here would be ... VERY HELPFUL!

Full Mod Report:

I have been taking a close look at the nut and comparing it to a Core USA nut and they look identical but I am not ready to say a USA nut is used, but to my eye, it looks different than SE nuts I have seen in the past. I have confirmed the nut on this is made out of the same material as the core nut and they are no longer using the cheap plastic nut. THANK YOU FOR LISTENING TO US! The nut DOES NOT need to be upgraded.

I upgraded the tuners from the stock tuners to phase 3 locking vintage tuners. ( I actually ordered non-locking but I won’t complain about the free “upgrade” ) and the phase 3 tuners dropped straight in without having to change the bushings and the markings on the tuners are identical. ( see photos ). So I honestly can't say that these NEED to be upgraded either unless you want locking versions.

The Truss Rod cover is a USA-sized cover. So if you want to replace it purchase one that is USA dimension.

The last upgrade will be a full electronics swap of pots and 5909 pickups. I will report back on that once I am done.

Really nice! I had the same nut experience on my SE PG.

The stock nut compared to the PRS store composite nut were the same in weight and material but the stock was definitely not made in USA.

That's interesting the core rings wont fit. I've never had a problem going from SE to core rings, very fascinating. Is the hole spacing wider? Perhaps you can get something custom made by Guilliford. Its gonna be a little 'spenvie, but John Guilliford is cool and will do custom fits.

Nice to know they ditched the SE nut. Thank the lawd.

If there is one more upgrade you can make that will be worth it, consider swapping the stock jack for a switchcraft. They hold your cord much better, and its a quickie to put one in.

BTW, sweet TRC. Palpatine would be pleased by your choice.

dumb question but did you drop test the nuts to confirm they are the same material? And were the slots cut the same as the core nut?

If you're looking for rings measure the spaces between the screws and then check amazon. They can be had for cheap. But yes they are different than core rings. This is a typical cream look. Slightly darker than that of bone or the ivory tuner buttons you have. This is what I installed on a previous ZM I owned and it fit well. But double check. The pics in the listing include the measurements.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TC62XYH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have a new PRS SE ZM, why do you want to do mods from the get go? Like, the nut composition only affects six notes. Whether its slots are cut correctly is another matter. The TR cover won’t effect your tone. Pup rings, indisputably, do not effect tone or playability at all. If you just want to play around with appearance matters of your new guitar, go ahead. But these things won’t improve your sound. Do what I do when I get a new guitar. Play it for a while and determine what, if anything, needs to be changed. And “appearance mods” don’t really go anywhere. My last gig (too old now) Iwent out in the audience and asked among the crowd “what sort of guitar was I playing”? Nobody knew. It was the most recognizable electric guitar. A Fender Strat! Of course, since then, I have “graduated” into PRS territory.

Hey old man get off this guy's lawn! lol

Good choice on the mods. I think the contrast looks great with the blue. The 59/09 are my favorite pickups. Probably out of all my pickups too, but they are in my best guitar.

let me know what you find out with the pick up rings. Waiting on mine to come in and that was something I was going to order. glad I found out they didn't fit

If you have a new PRS SE ZM, why do you want to do mods from the get go? Like, the nut composition only affects six notes. Whether its slots are cut correctly is another matter. The TR cover won’t effect your tone. Pup rings, indisputably, do not effect tone or playability at all. If you just want to play around with appearance matters of your new guitar, go ahead. But these things won’t improve your sound. Do what I do when I get a new guitar. Play it for a while and determine what, if anything, needs to be changed. And “appearance mods” don’t really go anywhere. My last gig (too old now) Iwent out in the audience and asked among the crowd “what sort of guitar was I playing”? Nobody knew. It was the most recognizable electric guitar. A Fender Strat! Of course, since then, I have “graduated” into PRS territory.

....cuz mods make getar look purty?

Has anyone been able to solve the problem with the pickup rings ? would like to change the rings on my Myers as well...

PRS SE pickup rings do not fit on the 2021 Myers :mad:
You need ones for stop tails, not trem. And the new Indonesian ZM has different parts than the older Korean model. I found this with getting a new truss rod cover - it’s shorter like US models.

You need ones for stop tails, not trem. And the new Indonesian ZM has different parts than the older Korean model. I found this with getting a new truss rod cover - it’s shorter like US models.

Bought the ones for stop tails. smaller than the ones mounted and the holes do not fit either…

So I have the older Korean made ZM model, I shouldn’t have any issues with core rings. Correct?

Or, just buy a guitar that you like in the first place...

I do find it interesting seeing what people consider to be ‘upgrades’ though. I think it’s a UK vs US thing, or maybe it’s just a PRS thing?

On the nut subject, I’m pretty sure the nut is exactly the same on my SE as my core, but the core one was cut and shaped massively nicer/better. It hasn’t affected playability at all, but visually there’s quite a difference. Obviously this just comes down to whomever did the work.

Or, just buy a guitar that you like in the first place...

What i like about the '21 Myers is that fantastic Myers Blue finish. looks absolutely stunning, especially with the matching headstock veneer.
What i really liked on the previous Trampas Green model was the creme/zebra look.

So for me personally it is combining best of both those guitars from a visual aspect.

Already changed the pickups and installed a zebra-pair of Duncans and changed the toggle switch cap for a creme one ;)

Looks cool, but definitely needs creme pickup rings...

Myers.jpg

I just picked up a 21 Myers. I used it to test the HeadRush MK5 last week, which I bought, I couldn't get the Myers out of my mind and felt compelled to go back and rescue it from GC. I already have an SE Custom 24 and Custom 24-08, both recent purchases of which I've already replaced the tuners with locking tuners. I changed the volume control on the custom 24 to one with a switch same as the tone control so can split the pickups individually like the 08 but was not willing to drill holes for toggle switches like in the 08. On both of these guitars I had to fix the nut slots as they did bind some. The fret leveling, dressing and polishing on these two guitars are superb, something that both Gibson and Fender could learn about from a guitar made in Indonesia. It was done so well that I lowered the action without any penalty of fret buzz or any need to level the frets some more.

My plan for the Myers is to replace both volume controls with ones with push pull switches so I can add individual split/taps. I will also add tone bleeds to both volume controls, something absent on the guitar. I will look in to locking tuners as well. The nut will also need a little attention, not a big deal.

Regarding the SE nuts, IMO the synthetic material seems to work well if it is cut properly

So far after one day, I declare this guitar a definite keeper.:)

Last edited:
I just picked up a 21 Myers. I used it to test the HeadRush MK5 last week, which I bought, I couldn't the Myers out of my mind and felt compelled to go back and rescue it from GC. I already have an SE Custom 24 and Custom 24-08, both recent purchases of which I've already replaced the tuners with locking tuners. I changed the volume control on the custom 24 to one with a switch same as the tone control so can split the pickups individually like the 08 but was not willing to drill holes for toggle switches like in the 08. On both of these guitars I had to fix the nut slots as they did bind some. The fret leveling, dressing and polishing on these two guitars are superb, something that both Gibson and Fender could learn about from a guitar made in Indonesia. It was done so well that I lowered the action without any penalty of fret buzz or any need to level the frets some more.

My plan for the Myers is to replace both volume controls with ones with push pull switches so I can add individual split/taps. I will also add tone bleeds to both volume controls, something absent on the guitar. I will look in to locking tuners as well. The nut will also need a little attention, not a big deal.

Regarding the SE nuts, IMO the synthetic material seems to work well if it is cut properly

So far after one day, I declare this guitar a definite keeper.:)
Love my 21 ZM. All I did was locking tuners, mostly b/c ease of restring and I don't like the look of the stock ones.

I would look into push-push pots. I put one on a project Jazzmaster and it's soooo much easier to use than push-pull.

Love my 21 ZM. All I did was locking tuners, mostly b/c ease of restring and I don't like the look of the stock ones.

I would look into push-push pots. I put one on a project Jazzmaster and it's soooo much easier to use than push-pull.
I have push-push pots on my Fender American Elite Strat, same as on the newer Ultra and do admit that they are much easier to use. I had a Fender (Mexican) Deluxe Roadhouse Strat which also had a push-push but the quality of the part was not the same. It was an interesting guitar, which I liked but I traded in for the PRS SE Custom 24 which is a much better instrument. I used a PRS push-pull tone control to replace the volume control so I could split coils on both pickups independently, I think I'm repeating myself.:)

Back