2021 - McCarty Models change tuners again?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by SlapTappy, Mar 9, 2021.

1. eightamrock

eightamrock New Member

Im a new (21') Standard McCarty owner. Hoping I didn't make a mistake not getting the 594, but I have a few LP's on the wall with that same classic tone so hoping I'm not missing out on too much.

I was really stressing about not getting the adjustable bridge or the locking tuners with my 21, but after reading this I feel much better that the vintage tuners will be fine. I have am old Korean made PRS SE with the wrap around non-adjustable tail that intonate's without issue, I cant imagine my SE would intonate and my Mccarty wouldnt....

DISTORT6, LSchefman and shimmilou like this.
  2. CrimesAgainstMusic

CrimesAgainstMusic New Member

3. doublescale1

doublescale1 doublescale1

a long time ago I found the vintage Kluson keystone tuners but with a locking center post - just use a dime to tighten/loosen - they look like vintage style Klusons but have a locking post - that was a good find for my '06 Goldtop McCarty

LSchefman likes this.
  4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I liked the old winged cam lockers. They were a weird-but-cool touch on PRSes, though getting the unwound strings tight enough to get the wings to line up right involved a bit of a learning curve.

However, they drove lots of people batty. I understand why PRS changed the design.

The current tuners make string changes fast and simple, as does the 594 bridge design - a brilliant, simple, well-engineered thing - but I have no problem with the vintage style tuners. There's no wrong answer to this equation.

5. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

They were really pretty great, and like Les said already, uniquely PRS. String changes were super quick and easy if you grokked the way the wings worked. But they confused a lot of people, so PRS dropped them, which was the right decision.

If I build a private stock one day, it may have to have winged tuners.

DISTORT6, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.