2021 - McCarty Models change tuners again?

Im a new (21') Standard McCarty owner. Hoping I didn't make a mistake not getting the 594, but I have a few LP's on the wall with that same classic tone so hoping I'm not missing out on too much.

I was really stressing about not getting the adjustable bridge or the locking tuners with my 21, but after reading this I feel much better that the vintage tuners will be fine. I have am old Korean made PRS SE with the wrap around non-adjustable tail that intonate's without issue, I cant imagine my SE would intonate and my Mccarty wouldnt....

a long time ago I found the vintage Kluson keystone tuners but with a locking center post - just use a dime to tighten/loosen - they look like vintage style Klusons but have a locking post - that was a good find for my '06 Goldtop McCarty

I liked the old winged cam lockers. They were a weird-but-cool touch on PRSes, though getting the unwound strings tight enough to get the wings to line up right involved a bit of a learning curve.

However, they drove lots of people batty. I understand why PRS changed the design.

The current tuners make string changes fast and simple, as does the 594 bridge design - a brilliant, simple, well-engineered thing - but I have no problem with the vintage style tuners. There's no wrong answer to this equation.

Whoa ! Who the heck designed those things ? I had to "see", so I Googled them. What a mess !

They were really pretty great, and like Les said already, uniquely PRS. String changes were super quick and easy if you grokked the way the wings worked. But they confused a lot of people, so PRS dropped them, which was the right decision.

If I build a private stock one day, it may have to have winged tuners.

Back