2021 - McCarty Models change tuners again?

SlapTappy

For 2020 the McCarty models all changed to the vintage Kluson-style tuners but I just played a 2021 model with the previous style chrome/metallic looking tuners. What's the story?

I'd hate to be the guy on the cusp of that transition with three or four locking tuners and two or three vintage.

thats-not-how-this-works.jpg

I have to be one of the world's worst string changers. I have installed SE Lockers on my 2 SE's and assuming I get my Hollowbody, will install a third set.

BUT... My S2 McCarty Thinline (a super sweetie), came with the Vintage Style Non- Lockers... but these were 3 curious things about them.

They come with beautiful brass shafts to lock the string around.

From the Factory, they came strung with a MINIMUN number of winds on the posts (like they were lockers )

They "feel" better than the SE Lockers in making micro adjustments...

So when I got brave enough to change the strings from 10's to 8's (reduced string tension, with no negative impacts on tone, sustain etc)

The Factory string job looked so pretty, I didn't want to mess with it. But I dutifully watched Skitchy's video in the PRS Tech Center. learned how to Wrap... Now I'm a "Wrapper" ...and I'll be keeping the "Vintage jobbies" which hold tune as well or better than the SE lockers on the guitar...

Are Pflaze III Lockers waay better ? I dunno, they look cool enough, but man they have to be some of the most expensive lockers on the market ...

My S2 McCarty Thinline (a super sweetie), came with the Vintage Style Non- Lockers... but these were 3 curious things about them

They come with beautiful brass shafts to lock the string around.

From the Factory, they came strung with a MINIMUN number of winds on the posts (like they were lockers )

I agree. The minimum winds look very elegant. And the tuning stability of these are rock solid. I thought for sure I would be swapping the stock vintage style out immediately for either the phase 3 vintage style locking tuners or some ordered by John Mann. But these vintage non locking hold tune better than the typical low mass locking tuners of CE or S2 class. The brass shaft is a nice touch. I enjoy the classy appearance without the black thumb screws.

Back