2020 Silver Sky QC issues

I don't think anyone is blaming PRS. These seem few in number for issues, but I'm sure PRS would be happy someone is bringing it up. We all have faith that PRS will fix the issues and address these things especially with the stores.

Yes, the OP specifically blamed PRS QC. Did you not read the OP?

The bent vintage style saddles are almost always like that. They aren't the nicest feeling against your hands. Sometimes I love the zingy sound the bent saddles provide, other times I prefer the solid saddles. I've owned a few guitars with them, and on one I ended up swapping them out for solid regular saddles.

You can however find 3rd parties selling replacement screws, or indeed screws and saddles. Raw Vintage come to mind. I'm fairly sure the RV saddles come with two sets of screws (longer vs shorter) so you can attempt to minimise the amount of thread poking through by a combination of screw length and saddle height. And I stumbled on a guy on YouTube who recommended buying different lengths of these to suit your needs. Looks like Callaham sell them in 3 different lengths too.

These Highwood saddles look pretty cool. They have recessed screws to alleviate the problem completely.

saddle_highwood_alone_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help zerolight, I'll probably see if I can get some new screws.

I have bought several guitars from MF and never had a problem.

In my experience they do not ship GC store inventory to customers. I’m guessing they
do not mix inventory between the two.

When you buy from MF you are not getting small luthier owned store attention. It’s obvious, but it doesn’t make it a blame worthy company to deal with. At least as far as damaged guitars and poorly controlled quality.

I bet MF guitars see less human handling than most prs dealers before it ends up in the customers hands.

“Caveat emptor”... when buying from MF, Especially since the bankruptcy. They do ship from GC store inventory, both new and used. ( the MF website reflects this ) I’ve had two bad experiences with them, (which I won’t go into in this thread) and I’ve learned that I will only buy accessories or factory sealed small items from them.

MF is GC, same company, MF is online only.
Yes! I've been buying from ZZounds for a while am convinced they are affiliated with AMS, as I've received boxes with AMS written on them.

The only QC issues I had were def manufacturer defects. Finish bubbles and bad wiring...on S2 models. Imports have been great!

The only " problem" I've had buying from MF and I've bought alot from them and and GC and Sweetwater too, was a scratch and dent cheapo Ibanez GIO GAX 70. Got it for like 80 bucks because of a nick on the headstock. After about a month the fretboard cracked and separated from the neck at the 1st fret. Called MF ,they had me send it back and they refunded my money.
I'm actually waiting on a blem SE 245 right now, I'll keep using them until they give me a reason not to.
That said, the set screws on the bridge of the guitar in this thread would really bother me at this price point. Being able to feel them and actually having them scratch your hand, to me, are very different things. I have Squiers that don't scratch my hand from playing them. To me it would be a little upsetting at that price. I'd call MF and tell em about it, they may discount a little and I'd fix it myself. I wouldn't return a guitar I otherwise liked just for that but I'd be less than pleased.
Beautiful guitar BTW!

Stop buying from MF and GC, they are horrible with handling and storage of their equipment, especially from their "warehouse". I would only buy from them things I can inspect before purchase, unlike most all other retailers. It is insulting to blame PRS for GC problems, which most of this seems to be.

I’m kinda the opposite, at least over the last year when stores have been closed. If you buy from warehouse stock then usually the guitar hasn’t been handled since it left the factory (or played and clumsily placed back on its hook in the store by some over exuberant prospective buyer) which means any defects can be simply traced back to the manufacturing/packaging process.

Sure, if you can play an instrument and verify that it’s pristine before buying then great, but buying from store stock if you can’t play it first... bit of a no-no for me. Yes, two supposedly identical guitars can feel quite different to each other, but at the end of the day there aren’t many things that can’t be adjusted to your liking.

Just received my 3rd one from Musicians Friend, and its worse than the first 2.

Black specs in the clear coat, rough finish near the neck joint, and some kind of yellow stains splattered near the neck. So frustrating that they are sooooo sloppy. Loose jack and loose strap holders on this one too.

Guess im just going to pump the brakes in my Silver Sky GAS for now.

Just received my 3rd one from Musicians Friend, and its worse than the first 2.

Black specs in the clear coat, rough finish near the neck joint, and some kind of yellow stains splattered near the neck. So frustrating that they are sooooo sloppy. Loose jack and loose strap holders on this one too.

Guess im just going to pump the brakes in my Silver Sky GAS for now.
That's ridiculous.
I'd be willing to bet that if you polled every SS owner here, you'd get a less than 2% problem rate. The idea that you got 3 bad ones in a row is nuts.

Yep it was three in a row for me too...I kept the last one and fixed the wiring myself. Each one had something different "wrong".

I also aquired 3 more PRSi since then with no issues.

I just got back from a guitar center that had a SS Maple. It looked really good. The saddles and frets were well done. No sharp edges.

For the people having issues, contact the stores first to try and resolve it (another guitar, repair work credit, etc). If that doesn't work try PRS and see if they will warranty it.

I doubt the issues your having are the norm.

I can only think you guys are getting returned , used guitars being sold as new other wise this makes ZERO sense. I have never even gotten 3 used PRS in a row that were bad let alone 3 new bad PRS. I would contact PRS directly at this point they will get you sorted.

Back