2020 Silver Sky: Continuous but inconsistent Tuning Issues

Danny Beauregard

Hi all, hoping I can get some advice on what to do next.

I bought a new 2020 Silver Sky from a PRS Dealer (Lauzon Music in Ottawa) over the holidays (December 23rd).

Beautiful guitar, love the sound, the size, the weight.

Almost immediately there were tuning issues. It would stay in tune for 10 minutes or more, and then I couldn't keep it tuned for more than a pick at a time for an entire day. Some nights I leave it in the bag and it's perfect the next morning, some days I'd take it out and it's a full step off. Sometimes flat, sometimes high.

I returned it to the dealer, asking them to lower the action a little and look at the tuning issues. The guitar was returned with a wonderful setup but with continuing tuning problems.

I went-about double checking everything. I changed the strings - I keep my music room at 70 degrees and my humidity between 45 and 50% RH but I bought new hygrometers to verify everything was accurate.

I kept the guitar in different rooms, I went over every screw, I bought a new tuning pedal; I was using a Boss TU-3 so I picked up a new Polytune. I even used a clip on as a back-up.

I handed it to my guitar instructor for a night and he had the exact same issue. Also to note: the Silver Sky lives next to a Les Paul that literally hasn't gone out of tune in a month, no matter how hard I bash on it.

After doing all of this, I brought it back to the dealer for a second time and explained the situation. About a week later they sent me a message saying their tech looked at everything and my contact himself played the guitar for 30 minutes without any tuning issues. I was told to pick it up and that was it. Nothing more they could, or would do.

So here I am. The dealer says there's no issue, I'm experiencing it, my guitar instructor saw it and I have a $3,000 guitar that is incredibly not fun to own or play because it's so unreliable. I don't even want to touch it because I have no idea what it's going to do.

Essentially, I now own a $3,000 wall hanger.

I feel like an idiot and I feel stuck. I don't have tons of experience with guitars in the first place and it's my first PRS and Strat style guitar. I was trying to find another tech in my area that knows PRS but there isn't any and the closest, other, PRS dealer is 6 hours away.

So, like I said at the start. Any helpful advice on what I could try next would be amazing. I'll try pretty much anything now.

Thanks guys, sorry for all the text. I just wanted to be detailed.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Sometimes there's a simple fix and sometimes not. Can't say I'm surprised by the Dealer's response, but the buck doesn't stop there. Try contacting PRS' customer service and discussing with them.

One question -- did you try to float the tremolo, mess with the springs or claw, etc., or did you keep it as-is and use the same size strings?

I've never played a Silver Sky, but I have a Strat (my first electric). You may have already tried these, but in case, most tuning issues I had with it were either binding at the nut or the trem not returning to pitch.

For the nut I make sure the slots are right and use a little graphite when changing strings. For the trem I added a fourth spring. I also have the (vintage-style) bridge flat against the body, so I can lower pitch but not raise it, which seems to help. I don't know if the PRS bridge will work that way.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Sometimes there's a simple fix and sometimes not. Can't say I'm surprised by the Dealer's response, but the buck doesn't stop there. Try contacting PRS' customer service and discussing with them.

One question -- did you try to float the tremolo, mess with the springs or claw, etc., or did you keep it as-is and use the same size strings?

I haven't messed with the trem whatsoever. My first electric was the Les Paul, it's been amazingly stable. I have no experience with tremolos.

Haven't touched the springs but, with very limited experience, looked everything over and it all looks very secure.

I did change the strings for sure. I took the stock ones off and put a new set of NYXL 10's on it. They're what I use on everything. I changed them a second time as well, just in case for some reason I got a bad set.

I will try to contact PRS, Ty.

I second the “check the nut” for grabbing possibility. Also, every guitar I own goes out of tune a half step or so from day to day. Three are PRS core models, including a Silver Sky and the fourth is a tele.

I second the “check the nut” for grabbing possibility. Also, every guitar I own goes out of tune a half step or so from day to day. Three are PRS core models, including a Silver Sky and the fourth is a tele.

My assumption would be that the tech from my PRS dealer would have checked the nut. My basic understanding, when I look at it, looks fine. What do I know though...

I understand what you're saying about to day falling out of tune. If that was my only issue, I'd be beyond happy. My assumption is that going out of tune within moments of playing on a regular basis is not normal.

8 of 10 times, I can't get through basic songs in tune. That doesn't feel right.

Another thought -- are you familiar with locking tuners? Are the screw heads tightened enough? I don't mean to over-do-it, but that's a possible culprit.

You're definitely using good strings, so assuming the trem is still decked, the tuners are properly adjusted, and the neck is relatively straight, there shouldn't be any issues, barring a bad neck -- or some other adjustment made along the way by someone at the dealer, or prior owner (if returned).

Yeah, not holding tuning through a normal song is something you should discuss with the PRS PTC.

Do you stretch strings? Tune to pitch, give it a few light tugs (don't be He-man), tune again, repeat the process a few times.

Another thought -- are you familiar with locking tuners? Are the screw heads tightened enough? I don't mean to over-do-it, but that's a possible culprit.

You're definitely using good strings, so assuming the trem is still decked, the tuners are properly adjusted, and the neck is relatively straight, there shouldn't be any issues, barring a bad neck -- or some other adjustment made along the way by someone at the dealer, or prior owner (if returned).

Yeah, not holding tuning through a normal song is something you should discuss with the PRS PTC.

First, you're not overdoing it, I appreciate you trying to pass some thoughts my way.

I double checked with the locking tuners and I think I've done them right. Fish the string through, do a single wrap downwards (not around all the way, just out and down), finger tighten the lock and give it a final twist with a coin to tighten. Stretch string as per normal.

Would they need to be VERY even compared to that?

Set up an infra-red motion sensitive camera in your music room. Dollars to donuts you have some gremlins that scurry out and mess with it when you're gone, because that's what they do. Just like in the movie. They're probably laughing about it right now! :eek:

Just play it more and harder it will settle in ( I have 2 )
Most every NEW PRS I have ever had took some time to settle in.
PLAY it hard , use the trem hard , tune up to pitch do it again. it will get better.
BUT it will most always be out of tune when you put it in the bag. Thats just how Gig bags are.

^this... and if it does seem to stay in tune when not playing, check the usual friction spots (nut and saddles, trem edges). Are you getting any pinging while playing? And to with with Rider, have you just given it some good hard bends and some Vai-like vibrato workouts?

Maybe not the popular opinion, but I don’t wrap my strings around the tuner, I just pull tight through the slot, tighten the lock, and tune. My silver sky definitely needed a bit of Big Bends Nut Sauce when I first got it as well. Doesn’t hurt to also put some on the saddles. It was cranky about staying in tune the first couple of days but now it’s amazingly solid.

^this... and if it does seem to stay in tune when not playing, check the usual friction spots (nut and saddles, trem edges). Are you getting any pinging while playing? And to with with Rider, have you just given it some good hard bends and some Vai-like vibrato workouts?

Sometimes it stays in tune when playing, sometimes it doesn't. Very inconsistent.

As for pings or sounds: on Monday I tuned it up, again and this time the low E and d wouldn't stay in tune. With the D, I brought it all the way back to a B and tuned back D. As I was turning the tuner there was an audible.string noise. Not sure what it was, like something let go a little. Not a ping think though.

Maybe not the popular opinion, but I don’t wrap my strings around the tuner, I just pull tight through the slot, tighten the lock, and tune. My silver sky definitely needed a bit of Big Bends Nut Sauce when I first got it as well. Doesn’t hurt to also put some on the saddles. It was cranky about staying in tune the first couple of days but now it’s amazingly solid.

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of different opinions on how to work the locking tuners. Which is par for the course in the guitar world. I just tried to follow the instructions on the PRS website.

I just got some big bends yesterday. It's been suggested a few times. I'll give it a shot x my fingers.

I definitely recommend some form of lubrication for the nut, just in case that is the issue.

Just for giggles, have you tried a different brand of strings? Maybe there is something inherent about your favorite brand that doesn't "work" with that guitar's set-up. Stock PRS strings are basically D'Addario, so maybe try that brand?

And one thing maybe you might try that wouldn't occur to you coming from a fixed bridge: when you tune, push the whammy bar a bit every time you adjust. It seems to help find that stable spot - more important on floating bridges than the Silver Sky's "flush" set up, though.

For reference, I find my Silver Sky to be stable in tuning. But all my guitars are stable, even all the PRS SE models that folks love to complain about.

I definitely recommend some form of lubrication for the nut, just in case that is the issue.

Just for giggles, have you tried a different brand of strings? Maybe there is something inherent about your favorite brand that doesn't "work" with that guitar's set-up. Stock PRS strings are basically D'Addario, so maybe try that brand?

And one thing maybe you might try that wouldn't occur to you coming from a fixed bridge: when you tune, push the whammy bar a bit every time you adjust. It seems to help find that stable spot - more important on floating bridges than the Silver Sky's "flush" set up, though.

For reference, I find my Silver Sky to be stable in tuning. But all my guitars are stable, even all the PRS SE models that folks love to complain about.

Thanks for taking the time.

The only strings I've tried (I've done 2 strings changes so far, both same brand) are the D'Addario NYXL 10's. I use them on my Les Paul and my SG. My SG is a little finicky when it comes to tuning but I can get through an hour or a bit of heavy playing without really worrying about tuning and my Les Paul is a rock.

Would you recommend trying different strings altogether? Something like EB Slinky's or something?

Not sure what you mean about the bridge though: I don't use the bar in the trem at all. I just wanted it to be stable so I never set it to floating. Not really my thing in the first place. So, even like that, should I put the bar in and move-it-about a little to try to "settle" it in?

Again, I appreciate any advice, I just have very little experience with floating trems and even less experience with PRS's.

Thank you.

When I got mine the strings on it didn't stabilize as far as tuning, but I quickly changed out to EB Slinkys and it has been fine. I typically like a little wobble now and then use a trem with my other Strat, which is truly decked on the body. Since PRS has its bridge resting tail-end on the body, but not completely flat, I didn't like the feel of the downward trem bar action and took it off. So that's my experience. Also, I have a softer hand and if you are a hard strummer, that might have something to do with it.

Back