2019 Model Cancellation thread

John Beef

Opaque
With all the new models, something is bound to get cancelled. What do you think?

Looking at what's available, I'm guessing SE CU22 semi-hollow.

It seems like they would be given all the new recent models! I wonder if the 408 will go since Paul's guitar makes it a bit redundant.

I have it on good authority that PRS are discontinuing artist package for most of their core line up.

I fear the standard (non-594) McCarty leaving the lineup. This would make me sad, as I prefer it greatly over the 594 (don't flame me, bro!).

Strangely, too, I notice not a lot of DGT's in stock a lot of places. I wonder if it's getting phased out, or modified soon. But how 'about the CU24 Floyd? Ya don't hear much chatter about them, either.

Edit: Also, please please don't touch the 408. I love mine and I think the unique pickup approach is genius--good for Paul for breaking that mold.

I still don't like the LP control layout on a PRS.

Personally I love the LP layout. The 3 way on the upper horn section - whether its a DC or SC - feels the most optimum place for it and don't have to really break strum movement to easily flick it between PU's. Not only that, I like having independent Tone and Volume pots for each pick-up. I know some see it as nothing more than a way to do that killswitch thing by muting one pick-up and using the the 3-way - but it can be used to blend the bridge and neck PU's together and change the tone of one in that blend which opens up a whole lot more potential for just a 2 pick-up guitar.

I don't like switches behind the bridge as some have it - like the McCarty, DGT etc and even some 5-way blades and tone pots seem a bit too far back for the optimal ergonomic movements. The 4 pots are positioned in such a way that you can roll both up or down with one movement.

I know its what you get used to so people will have differing opinions on what works for them. I am sure if people were more used to the switch at the top, the blades at the bottom would take more time to adjust and vice versa. For me, swapping between my PRS guitars, the thing that takes the most getting used to is the layouts of each pot and switch....

Yeah, I get it. Especially if you grew up on LP's. It would feel more natural. But I grew up on the PRS diamond, so to me THAT is the natural layout. I do like the switch on the upper horn and if I had the DC I think I'd get used to the look. It's the diamond that I don't care for.

Yeah, I get it. Especially if you grew up on LP's. It would feel more natural. But I grew up on the PRS diamond, so to me THAT is the natural layout. I do like the switch on the upper horn and if I had the DC I think I'd get used to the look. It's the diamond that I don't care for.

As I said, it really does depend on what you become accustomed to. I was always Camp Gibson - at least before PRS became part of the 'big 3'. When I started, you were either camp Gibson or Camp Fender and even other brands like Ibanez for example were more on the Fender side or Gibson depending on model and spec - scale length, set or bolt-on necks etc.

I started with a Les Paul - albeit an Epiphone version of the LP Custom so that certainly shaped my preferences in terms of layouts and options. Its not just the Switch on the top which I find more ergonomic for me, the diamond - or more importantly, the tone/volume pots for each Pick-up offered more than just a master tone/volume. The ability to shape the middle selection by adjusting the blend (different volumes for each Pick-up) as well as the tone of each gives a lot of variation. Having one pick up more prominent or one with the tone rolled down more does give a lot of different sounds from just the middle selection.

With my Epiphone, the knobs were a bit stiffer, more resistance to turn so it wasn't as easy to roll up or down both volumes or both tones with a single movement. The diamond arrangement and zero (or at least extremely low) resistance arrangement on the 594 does enable me to roll both pots simultaneously. The fact they are not 'square' feels more comfortable and more natural. If they sat square, its more uncomfortable to do both at the same time. Of course with a master tone/volume, it doesn't matter so much where they are placed but adding an extra and considering how to adjust both simultaneously, the diamond is the more ergonomic.

Quite a few guitars I notice do have a double volume for double humbucker guitars to adjust the blend in the middle position but it also helps to do that killswitch trick with the 3-way - if you don't mind replacing it when it breaks lol....

I fear the standard (non-594) McCarty leaving the lineup. This would make me sad, as I prefer it greatly over the 594 (don't flame me, bro!).

I've always loved the simplicity of the McCarty. There are a few more sounds available with the 594 but I like 2 less knobs. I also feel that the McCarty should have vintage tuners like it did for years after it's release. The Phase 3 tuners seem odd on that model.

It seems like they would be given all the new recent models! I wonder if the 408 will go since Paul's guitar makes it a bit redundant.

I have it on good authority that PRS are discontinuing artist package for most of their core line up.

The 408 is no longer listed on the PRS website.

I've always loved the simplicity of the McCarty. There are a few more sounds available with the 594 but I like 2 less knobs. I also feel that the McCarty should have vintage tuners like it did for years after it's release. The Phase 3 tuners seem odd on that model.
According to a FB post from Brian's Guitars, the McCarty remains, slight redesign to use TCI 58/15LT pups, with nitro finish.

Oh, here it is on the PRS site:

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/mccarty_2020

Honestly if I were PRS I would market a little bit differently. I would remove the CU24 Floyd and 24-08 models and make them "upgrade options", same Piezo, same with the Grainger bass 4 or 5 string, and I would do the same with the McCarty 594 and make DC or SC options, also not sure why Paul's guitar is listed under both "specialty" and "signature".

Back