2019 Custom 24 w/ piezo

mateias

Hi all,

Just have to chime in on t'tinternet to say how amazing my 2019 Custom 24 in Trampas green is. Good on PRS for producing such high quality instruments.

I wasn't entirely convinced when I picked it up... I bought it w/o trying, as it was from a dealer in Florida and I'm in England. I figured I'd try my luck as PRS quality control seems very good, and I'd tried one in London that I liked a lot.

It took me a little while to get used to this guitar. It has a unique, almost hi-fi, character to the upper frequencies that my other guitars don't have. It wasn't until I started using it in my studio that it came alive.

It is such a nice sound, not overly hot - actually very twangy with a fullness that isn't overpowering. Backing off the volume, the sound cleans up and becomes smooth, glassy - but not ice pick territory. If only my playing could do it justice.

Anyway - I got this particular model as it had a piezo - and a lovely top (the one in London had a so-so top and no piezo).

Other than Carlos himself, I've not heard a lot of major artists using PRS that had tone I liked. I recall a load of nu-metal bands using them - and I didn't care for that tone.

I really like the 85/15 pickups - I wish my Santana Retro had one in the bridge position instead of the 58/15.

I haven't even tried the piezo yet through my Fishman preamp - I am looking forward to that.

Congratulations on your new PRS!
I'm sure we'd all love to see pictures.
I have two piezo equipped PRS, a P22 and a CU24 piezo. one stoptail and one with trem. They are almost all I play with my band, as they are so versatile and save changing guitars as often.
You definitely want to use your preamp, or a acoustic amp or PA for the piezo signal. I use one of the signal paths in my Helix to process the piezo signal with IRs and route it to my PA system. It sounds very convincing like that.

Congrats! While I don’t have a C24 currently, I also prefer the 85/15 to the 58/15s - just sounds more smooth and sweet to my ears. Rolling off the volume or tone works very well on the C24 and I love having the piezo - I have a P22 and P245T I love.

Back