I must say I'm not impressed again, the SE SVN is the only interesting one for me, with a pickup change I'm sure it would be just as id like it.
I agree that the 2018 line-up as presented is not earthshattering. However, I seem to recall that the basic switch over from year to year is rarely about a bunch of new exciting models, more like an evolution of stuff, like the SE-7 to SVN, the availability of the Chris Robertson and the 24-08 in the SE and Core lines respectively, and color changes. And dropping of certain models, often to much surprise.

The really flash new models would then tend to be separate announcements made over the course of the next couple of months, including NAMM, to help spread the PR events and get more overall interest.

e.g.: IMHO the most exciting models released by PRS last year were the RL Vela and CE. Those were announced in March last year. So out-of-cycle stuff, which may be more likely to be limited runs I guess, might be where to expect exciting new things.

Am I the only one that misses the stoptail bridge? Why does everything need a trem now? Do people not change tunings anymore?

I could look at the baritone but worried the scale length is too long. Should I try the 7 string or would the neck be too wide?

Glad I bought my 2016 SE Custom 22 stoptail when I did. Man I hate zebra pickups though.

Roll on 2019 press release... :(

Am I the only one that misses the stoptail bridge? Why does everything need a trem now? Do people not change tunings anymore?

I could look at the baritone but worried the scale length is too long. Should I try the 7 string or would the neck be too wide?

Glad I bought my 2016 SE Custom 22 stoptail when I did. Man I hate zebra pickups though.

Roll on 2019 press release... :(

Excuse to have more than one PRS! I love the stoptail on my HBII, but I like the trem even more on my CU24. It's easy enough to block of a trem as well if needed :)

I like the added binding on the Santana Standard. Still wish those adopted the control layout and 24 fret necks that his signature SE got... not that it makes a ton of sense to retool for exactly one sale but, still.

Am I the only one that misses the stoptail bridge? Why does everything need a trem now?

Should I try the 7 string or would the neck be too wide?
Nope, totally with ya; it does not; yes; possibly, but you won't know unless you try.

I could look at the baritone but worried the scale length is too long.
I find the baritone to be a good scale length. Part of the reason it's so comfortable is they moved the bridge further back to accommodate so the neck isn't too long. I had a S-body with a conversion neck baritone for a couple years there. The scale length was 28.675 and the neck was 24 frets with the bridge in the usual place for a 25.5" scale guitar. The neck stuck out quite a ways and the low frets were difficult to play. Since getting a 277 I feel like I'm playing more of a normal guitar.

The only thing I would change would be to move the bridge pickup maybe an extra pickup bobbin width away from the bridge so as to get some more low end in there and make the bridge pickup just a bit less sharp in its attack. But most people wouldn't agree with me.

The only thing I would change would be to move the bridge pickup maybe an extra pickup bobbin width away from the bridge so as to get some more low end in there and make the bridge pickup just a bit less sharp in its attack. But most people wouldn't agree with me.

Can you just flip your bridge pickup? Or does it not work that way?

No, more like this in my quick and dirty photoshop... or maybe not that far. I dunno. I just know that on baritones more so than regular scale length guitars, the tonal difference between the neck and bridge pickups is greater on the baritone. Bass guitars generally don't put the bridge pickup as close to the bridge as regular guitars because it wouldn't be a very bassy tone. You gotta move it out to where the string is vibrating more, moving more distance back and forth to capture more of those lower frequencies.

9aHDTkq.jpg

That said, I know the majority of baritone buyers are metal guys looking for super focused tones from low notes, and for that, the bridge pickup is in the perfect spot as it is.

The 245's still have stoptails.

I already have an SE Singlecut stoptail with the 25” scale length that I love. Came to PRS from Gibson for the longer scale length. I really dislike the SE 245, owned one briefly and do not miss it at all.

I’m still searching for the perfect double cut SE because PRS have not made it yet imho. I was hoping 2018 would see a new neck carve, something in between wide fat and wide thin and some better colour options with black pickups, like Sweetwater have special runs of (I’m in the UK).

Just a few weeks ago I was looking at my PRS collection and realized that only one of my SEs had a trem, the rest were stop tails or fixed bridges of some type: the Akerfeldt has a trem , while the ZM, SE7, Holcomb, baritones (2), and bass are all non-trem.

Weird how that works!

Anyway, why not try a Holcomb, just set it up for a normal tuning - not that much longer a scale length anyway than a CU24, 25.5" is strat territory! The flatter fretboard might be a showstopper for ya, though.

I though we might see more naple necks on the SE in the US like the European limited edition...

I though we might see more naple necks on the SE in the US like the European limited edition...

I love maple fretboards.. but I guess we should feel lucky that PRS is still able to put guitars out with rosewood everything compared to what fans of other guitar brands are getting now.

I love maple fretboards.. but I guess we should feel lucky that PRS is still able to put guitars out with rosewood everything compared to what fans of other guitar brands are getting now.

You are right... but that SE in blue looked really good, it is a pity that is only a limited edition in Europe.

You are right... but that SE in blue looked really good, it is a pity that is only a limited edition in Europe.

You could always order one from one of those dealers.. I say this as a guy that bitches about wanting Japanese SE’s and is too cheap to pay the shipping/import duties.

Anyway, why not try a Holcomb, just set it up for a normal tuning - not that much longer a scale length anyway than a CU24, 25.5" is strat territory! The flatter fretboard might be a showstopper for ya, though.

I did consider the SE Holcomb, but I couldn't bring myself to like the 'brisket burst' finish or quilt top - so I got a Schecter KM-6 instead (which I mostly like except for the toggle switch is too hidden behind the volume pot) - so naturally this made me more determined than ever to find my dream PRS SE double cut.I guess I should probably just mod my 2016 SE Custom 22 since apart from the wide thin neck carve, with mods, its probably the closest I will ever get to perfect. I was just hoping I could buy something stock from the SE line that didn't have so many compromises.

My only disappointment is pricing and no CE22.

I was hoping to stretch - and I do mean stretch - to a Custom 22 for my 40th which is now closer than i’d like. Last year is was just about achievable but prices have rocketed here in the UK over the past year. NOT PRS’s fault by the way.

Could possibly go used if one turns up in the shops in my price range and is in excellent condition. Would rather have gone new though for such a major purchase.

Nothing stands out but that’s a good thing. Solid offering and nothing being radically changed just for the sake of it. Will have to see if anything from PRS leaps out at me when I hit the shops and the guitar show in a few weeks.

My only disappointment is pricing and no CE22.

I was hoping to stretch - and I do mean stretch - to a Custom 22 for my 40th which is now closer than i’d like. Last year is was just about achievable but prices have rocketed here in the UK over the past year. NOT PRS’s fault by the way.

Could possibly go used if one turns up in the shops in my price range and is in excellent condition. Would rather have gone new though for such a major purchase.

Nothing stands out but that’s a good thing. Solid offering and nothing being radically changed just for the sake of it. Will have to see if anything from PRS leaps out at me when I hit the shops and the guitar show in a few weeks.

Bro, used Cu22, hit me up if you don't mind something that's seen a little PTC work. I may be your Huckleberry.

Back