2018 PRS SE Standard 24 Locking Tuners

Tharnid

Hello...I have searched the site and this is a widely discussed topic. I have a 2018 PRS SE Standard 24 and I love the tone (first PRS...not the last one guaranteed). I had SW put in a TUSQ nut installed after reading that there might be some tuning issues (on previous versions anyway). I now want to replace the stock tuners with locking tuners because tuning has been an issue. SW told me I would have to drill to use Grove 502c's (which they recommend), but I noticed on a thread in this forum someone mentioned Graph Tech Ratio Locking tuners because they come with InvisioMatch mounting plates. I know another locking tuners question, but I did not find the answer for my specific model so forgive me for starting yet another thread. I appreciate any suggestions you can provide me.

The stock tuners will work fine IF you string them the right way. This is not new but many people don't yet know it. This is from the PRS website (2nd set of instructions):

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/tuners.html

Saves drilling. I use it on all my vintage tuners and it's as good as locking tuners.

For Grovers that you don't have to drill for, I have 406c on a few SEs. The tuner buttons are dinky, but you can swap the stock buttons on to them.

I agree, locking tuners are great and sexier, but not required to get a stable system, IMO.

I'm a well known fiend for Graphtech open back locking tuners with the UMP plates, and no drilling. They also have an 18:1 tuning ratio and are American made. PM John Beef for photos of the installation. And, best of all, they're not expensive.

Thanks for all replies :) I thought the resale or trade ability would increase with locking tuners. I will try the stringing method first and go from there.

For Grovers that you don't have to drill for, I have 406c on a few SEs. The tuner buttons are dinky, but you can swap the stock buttons on to them.

Regarding the 406c tuners, how do they lock the string? They don't lock from the back by turning a wheel/screw. By the way, thanks for tip about being able to use the stock buttons ;)

Thanks for all replies :) I thought the resale or trade ability would increase with locking tuners.
Honestly (and from experience) upgrades to an SE have little to no impact on the resale value. Save the original tuners, and put them back on if/when you sell the guitar. Chances are you will make more money selling the used locking tuners that way.

Regarding the 406c tuners, how do they lock the string? They don't lock from the back by turning a wheel/screw. By the way, thanks for tip about being able to use the stock buttons ;)
The post has a sleeve that rotates around the main post and locks it in.

You align the holes, feed string thru, pull tightish, tune up and it grabs. Clip the ends and rock.

The post has a sleeve that rotates around the main post and locks it in.

You align the holes, feed string thru, pull tightish, tune up and it grabs. Clip the ends and rock.

That sounds easy enough, thanks! I may have to put a set of these on the new SE CU24 I just ordered :)

Schaller M6 Locking tuners and you have not to drill. I have Schaller on my PRS SE Custom 24 and they are great

Honestly (and from experience) upgrades to an SE have little to no impact on the resale value. Save the original tuners, and put them back on if/when you sell the guitar. Chances are you will make more money selling the used locking tuners that way.
He's talking truth. Add upgrades because they're worth paying for to you, not the next guy.

http://store.guitarvaultusa.com/MannMade_PRS_Locking_Tuner_Set_Modified_Phase_II_p/7030.htm

... as mentioned a few posts prior; the MannMade ones are a direct 'drop-in' replacement. And they work perfectly!
These are definitely my favorite option out there. I have some for my SE245 (originally bought them for my SE Cu24, but I ended up selling it) and I love them. Maintains the sweet PRS look, no drilling, and makes string changes easier. What's not to like?

These are definitely my favorite option out there. I have some for my SE245 (originally bought them for my SE Cu24, but I ended up selling it) and I love them. Maintains the sweet PRS look, no drilling, and makes string changes easier. What's not to like?

Any reason to prefer the top locking style vs the thumb screw on the back style?

Any reason to prefer the top locking style vs the thumb screw on the back style?

Top locking tuners make the SE look more like a USA PRS and to me is easier to lock while holding the string at tension through the peg. Some may not like having to tighten/loosen the small bolt head though.

I have the back locking on my Strat and the front locking on my CU24 and much prefer the front locking. Much easier to manipulate and you can take a pick to the top screw head to make them nice and snug

Top locking tuners make the SE look more like a USA PRS and to me is easier to lock while holding the string at tension through the peg. Some may not like having to tighten/loosen the small bolt head though.

Can you tighten them up enough by hand?

I have the back locking on my Strat and the front locking on my CU24 and much prefer the front locking. Much easier to manipulate and you can take a pick to the top screw head to make them nice and snug

I hadn't thought of using a pick :)

Back