2017 Summer Concert Anticipation

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
Alright, we did this last year. What's everyone got lined up, and looking forward to, for summer shows?

Me, I started in March with a warm up. UFO and Saxon. Great show. I've been a Saxon fan since 1980. Saw them in '86 and then again in 2015 opening for Priest. They still sound great live and are a good torch bearer for the NWOBHM (not that it is New anymore). UFO, my first time. I've seen Schenker a bunch of times, and he always plays several UFO songs. But, I've never heard them live with "that" voice. They were solid. I didn't care for the mix. Phil's vocals should have been pushed up in the mix (IMO). I struggled to get his voice at times. At least clearly. Love Vinnie Moore, but I could have done with a little less of him in a couple of spots. Still, a great show!

Summer line up:
Iron Maiden/Ghost
Paul Shaffer and the World's Most Dangerous Band
Paul McCartney
Ted Nugent
Deep Purple/Alice Cooper
Hamilton

Thinking about adding:
Pat Travers/Rick Derringer
Toto
The Dead Daisies

Been to a handful of shows already, most recently Sabaton/Eyes Of Leaves/(we missed the first band because of the line at the venue).

Will be leaving momentarily to head to Styx about 90 minutes away. Nice small venue, and we got pretty good seats. Even sprung for the VIP march package.

Tom'w night is Mastodon, but it's supposed to be chilly and it's an outdoor show, so I think we're going to see Mitch Fatel instead.

Sunday - Buddy Guy.

Tuesday - possibly Fozzy.

I've had to lay low on the concert front because we have Penguins tix, and I have to be wary of the playoff schedule. Plus my wife and I both have upcoming surgeries, so that has some impact (fortunately very minor this time). But I have locked in Olivia Newton-John, Marshall Tucker Band and Davy Knowles later this summer. Just found out UFO is coming this fall, so that will depend on next season's hockey schedule. Looking into the possibility of a Detroit/Indy overreach in October to catch a couple Vintage Trouble shows, too.

Went to Tampa Bay Blues festival Buddy Guy, Tab Benoit, Albert Cummings, and many more.
Saw Popa Chubby at Capital Ale House in Richmond
I'm going to see Ritchie Kotzen Tuesday at the Beacon theater in Hopewelland
Anna Popavic on Saturday at the Tin Pan in Richmond.

Earth Wind & Fire and Chic in July, Santana in August, and The mother f@cking Time in October.

Kraftwerk in June
Midnight Oil in July
Steely Dan in October

I'd see Toto in a heartbeat if they played London, but their entire tour is North America only at the moment...

Last edited:
Alright, we did this last year. What's everyone got lined up, and looking forward to, for summer shows?

Me, I started in March with a warm up. UFO and Saxon. Great show. I've been a Saxon fan since 1980. Saw them in '86 and then again in 2015 opening for Priest. They still sound great live and are a good torch bearer for the NWOBHM (not that it is New anymore). UFO, my first time. I've seen Schenker a bunch of times, and he always plays several UFO songs. But, I've never heard them live with "that" voice. They were solid. I didn't care for the mix. Phil's vocals should have been pushed up in the mix (IMO). I struggled to get his voice at times. At least clearly. Love Vinnie Moore, but I could have done with a little less of him in a couple of spots. Still, a great show!

Summer line up:
Iron Maiden/Ghost
Paul Shaffer and the World's Most Dangerous Band
Paul McCartney
Ted Nugent
Deep Purple/Alice Cooper
Hamilton

Thinking about adding:
Pat Travers/Rick Derringer
Toto
The Dead Daisies

I added Morris Day and The Time to my list of shows. I twisted a buddies arm into seeing them.

Currently on my BandsInTown calendar:

5/21 - Skillet & Starset
6/15 - Icon For Hire
6/24 - Skillet at Kingsfest
7/1 - Skillet at Creation Festival
7/26 - Skillet (on the Korn/Stone Sour tour)
7/27 - Skillet (on the Korn/Stone Sour tour)
8/1 - Linkin Park
9/15-16 - Skillet and Lacey Sturm at Uprise Festival

One venue around here just announced five shows for later this year - Ann Wilson, Huey Lewis, Robert Cray, an oldies show w/Gary Puckett and several others, and Whose Line Is It Anyway with Ryan Stiles and Greg Proops. Whose Line is close to a definite for me (have to check a conflict).

Another venue announced UFO - I have to wait until the new hockey schedule comes out before I can commit to that.

One venue around here just announced five shows for later this year - Ann Wilson, Huey Lewis, Robert Cray, an oldies show w/Gary Puckett and several others, and Whose Line Is It Anyway with Ryan Stiles and Greg Proops. Whose Line is close to a definite for me (have to check a conflict).

Another venue announced UFO - I have to wait until the new hockey schedule comes out before I can commit to that.
Robert Cray is the top of my list of guys I haven't seen live but want to.

So far...

Tears for Fears + Hall & Oates(this one is not my pick:))
Tool(addict)
Roger Waters(bucket list - never been)

I'm feelin' I need some blues of some sort. It's been a good while since I've seen a good band. Couple fests coming, I'll have to scroll thru lineups.

Earth Wind & Fire and Chic in July, Santana in August, and The mother f@cking Time in October.
Hmmm, Santana is tempting. I'd been hoping for a IV lineup tour to happen & roll this way. Have you been to that venue before?

Back