2017 SpEculation thread.

Well, now I'm excited. Adding another awesome SE to the stable seems like a no brainer to me. The wife, however, not so much.:D

I think it's definitely in the realm of possibility. Maybe not violin tops but definitely more beveled. They are already way further ahead of ESP LTD models and anything schecter puts out though. It would be icing on the cake

Um...no. Heck no. This is fanboy-ism. PRS has fallen way behind in the overseas made guitar market. Companies like Schecter are putting USA pickups, high quality nuts, tonepros bridges, and other improved hardware in that 600 to 900 map range. You can even get guitars with stainless frets for under 1000. PRS needs to revamp the SEs to compete.

You have understand that contract guitars made by WMI are all using the same base materials. The mahogany is the same Luan from the Philippines. The maple is the same, wherever that is sourced from. So, it's design, features, and hardware that separate guitars from that part of the world and PRS definitely lags in that area.

Um...no. Heck no. This is fanboy-ism. PRS has fallen way behind in the overseas made guitar market. Companies like Schecter are putting USA pickups, high quality nuts, tonepros bridges, and other improved hardware in that 600 to 900 map range. You can even get guitars with stainless frets for under 1000. PRS needs to revamp the SEs to compete.

You have understand that contract guitars made by WMI are all using the same base materials. The mahogany is the same Luan from the Philippines. The maple is the same, wherever that is sourced from. So, it's design, features, and hardware that separate guitars from that part of the world and PRS definitely lags in that area.

You can call it "fan boy-ism" or an opinion. This is a PRS forum so obviously there will be biases.

You can call it "fan boy-ism" or an opinion. This is a PRS forum so obviously there will be biases.

I didn't mean to insult. I'm presenting a realistic point of view. I am a guitar fanatic so I keep an eye on all things guitar. I'm a fan of PRS, but I can also see that the SE line direly needed a makeover. PRS saw that too and kudos to them for recognizing it.

Are SE's perfect? No. Are they really good? Yes. More importantly, are they consistent? Absolutely, more so than their peers.

Also remember that the SE line isn't what PRS focuses on mainly. Their Core line destroys anything else on the market in my humble opinion. The SE line has come a long way from the first one I bought back in 2008, but sure it could use a refresh.

You can even get guitars with stainless frets for under 1000. PRS needs to revamp the SEs to compete.
You mention stainless steel frets as if they are a bonus. I don't believe that the reason these guitars, or any other PRS for that matter, omit stainless steel frets for the purpose of pricing or quality.

Kevin

You mention stainless steel frets as if they are a bonus. I don't believe that the reason these guitars, or any other PRS for that matter, omit stainless steel frets for the purpose of pricing or quality.

Kevin

If you do not think stainless is a bonus, then I don't know what to tell you. Parker was the first to do it in the 90s. There are guys who literally put 1000's of hours of play time on original Parkers and never saw a hint of wear, period. I wasn't saying PRS needs to go stainless. I was merely pointing on features you can get in that price range now.

If you do not think stainless is a bonus, then I don't know what to tell you. Parker was the first to do it in the 90s. There are guys who literally put 1000's of hours of play time on original Parkers and never saw a hint of wear, period. I wasn't saying PRS needs to go stainless. I was merely pointing on features you can get in that price range now.

I cannot think of any other company that makes as many guitars as PRS that puts even a fraction of thought into construction as PRS does. PRS doesn't even use SS frets on their core line.

Wow...the forum is touchy today :) I'll stop in this thread. Looking forward to the revamped SEs. Might grab a Floyd if they give it a carved top.

I remember when the SE line got major upgrades with birds, new pick up specs, hot new veneer's and colors. That was 2010. I didn't hear anybody saying SE's needed more to keep pace with the competition. I was hearing things like they were getting too close to the core models and maybe PRS shot themselves in the foot because folks would just buy the cheaper SE and not drop all that cash on a core. Now the lines are blurred even more with the S2's.

I saw a video a while back where Paul was telling someone that they don't put their products in buckets like that. They simply try to build the best guitar they can at the price point they are looking at. If they could make a core guitar at that price point they would. If they have found a way to put more into an SE, they will. So I don't think they are trying to "keep up" with the competition. I think they are just innovating as they come across new things to try at a given price point. Hopefully that does push the competition, but I don't think that is the motivation.

My speculation is that Paul will show up at my door Ed McMahon style with a P24, a 594, a 513, a 100 watt HXDA and Archon with matching cabs.

..,but there's a small chance I'm wrong on this one... ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing rolled edges on SE fretboards if they are reworking them though, and the previously mentioned headstock design update would also be welcome. :)

Many of us have been buying SE`s changing the nuts, tuners (to locking), and maybe the pickups. I bought an SE 30th CU 24 last year. New nut, new tuners, pickups were great. The 2 main areas could be addressed first. As their marketing gets more sophisticated, they should be able to predict when sales fall off on a particular model. That would be revamp or replacement time.

S2 versions of the SE One with a pattern wide neck.

CE24-V

Semi-hollow, 25.5" scale, singlecut with narrow 408's.

Core models with subtle forearm carve.

Tungsten trem blocks for Santana body style guitars.

Last edited:

The maple veneers likely come from the same place as the tops on Core instruments (after all, quilted maple notably only originates in the Pacific Northwest of N America...) - but of course they stretch one board so much further by slicing it wafer-thin. What would be a single top on a Core instrument might generate half a dozen or more on SEs.

The maple under the veneers could come from anywhere as it doesn't need to be figured and plain maple is plentiful and cheap.

I do like the idea of them doing USA pickups, and I don't even understand why they couldn't do exact Korean-wound versions of the classics - Fender manages it in Mexico with the Baja Telecaster and the results are pretty sonically spectacular.

Wow...the forum is touchy today :) I'll stop in this thread. Looking forward to the revamped SEs. Might grab a Floyd if they give it a carved top.
Drew, I think you're being a bit sensitive here. I believe that your points were generally valid. I was only quibbling with the 1 comment regarding stainless steel frets being a bonus. You and Parker obviously feel that way. Paul Reed Smith obviously does not, as he does not even include them on Private Stock guitars. That does not make you right, and PRS wrong. That just gives you a difference of opinion, much different than you were indicating.
("If you do not think stainless is a bonus, then I don't know what to tell you.")

Kevin

Back