2017 SE Custom 24 vs US Custom 24?

MichaelG

Hi all!

My new PRS SE Custom 24 will be here next week (very excited!) and I am just curious what the differences are between that and the US made Custom 24 (2017)?

I already purchased a set of the locking tuners from John Mann’s site and they look amazing. Can’t wait to get them installed - I am a total locking tuners convert.

I know the pickups are a Korean made version of the US ones, but what are the other differences? Different tremolo bars, etc?

Thanks! Can’t wait to be a PRS owner :)

Hardware is USA-made instead of Korean made (pickups, bridge, tuners, electronics, etc.). Some of the hardware is a little different in design as well as materials rather than simply place of manufacture.
The neck carves, if I'm not mistaken, are a little different as well. The SE's use the specs from older PRS guitars (Wide Thin or Fat) vs. PRS USA which are now using Pattern, Pattern Regular, Pattern Thin, etc. The specs are pretty close, the main difference is width at the nut. The newer 'pattern' style on the USA PRS guitars is slightly smaller in width at the nut.
The body carve will be different as well. The SE's have a much shallower body carve.
Of course wood selection and quality are also going to be different. American PRS guitars will have a full maple top and not just a maple top+veneer like the SE's.
That's most of the differences that I can think of off the top of my head.

With that being said,

Oh nice thanks for the reply! Just trying to see if there is anything I can mod or upgrade to bring it closer in line to the US version. Though from what I heard (and the models I played at the store), they are pretty amazing on their own!

You've got tuners already. I'm a locking tuner fan as well. Mostly because I'm lazy! I'd suggest a Core nut. Cheap, and easy to do. Greatly improves tuning stability.

You've got tuners already. I'm a locking tuner fan as well. Mostly because I'm lazy! I'd suggest a Core nut. Cheap, and easy to do. Greatly improves tuning stability.

Well I HAVE to take that advice, simply based on your avatar!!! :)

Any special guides for replacing the nut, or is it the same as any other guitar?

When I upgraded my SE, I only changed the tuners, the nut, and the pickups/electrical components/wiring. I thought these changes improved the guitar to its best state. There were things that couldnt be upgraded (wood quality and neck shape) to the US built PRS level but the changes you can make will make a big difference.

My luthier believes the nut is the single most important part on most guitars. I have him put the nuts on my guitars, and do much of the other work myself.

My luthier believes the nut is the single most important part on most guitars. I have him put the nuts on my guitars, and do much of the other work myself.
Ooh can of worms opening....
Bridge type, material it’s made of, 0 fret, string break, break angle, pickup height, type of pickup. In the words of the great man himself “I could go on and on and on and on”.

Discuss!

Enjoy!

:D:D

Cheeky I know.

Just got my new custom 24! One issue is it will not stay in tune when I do any trem dives whatsoever. I am going to try changing the strings and using some nut sauce (like on my other guitars). I got it from Sweetwater and had them set it up for 10 gauge strings. Looks like they are sticking a bit in the nut :(

obviously it wasn't set up for 10 gauge strings. there are a lot of thing that are important on a guitar as well as anything else. also many opinions on what to change. maybe you can save up and get a us custom 24. you'll love that for sure. I have a couple SE s and I play them and love them for what they are.
Right off the shelf they are far better than a lot of other brands.

obviously it wasn't set up for 10 gauge strings. there are a lot of thing that are important on a guitar as well as anything else. also many opinions on what to change. maybe you can save up and get a us custom 24. you'll love that for sure. I have a couple SE s and I play them and love them for what they are.
Right off the shelf they are far better than a lot of other brands.

Yep, it has to be that. I called my local guitar shop I trust and they are pretty sure of the same thing. I did install the Mann locking tuners on it and it looks so beautiful. Plays amazingly, now just need to keep it in tune!

Here she is...

IMG_4890.jpg

Agreed! Intonated perfectly and plays like a dream - until I do a big bend or trem dive, which pretty much convinces me it’s indeed an issue with the nut

Exact same problem I had with my new SE Custom 22 - had it shipped with 10s, so don't know if the stock 9s were any better with holding the tuning. My older CU22 SE had a wraparound bridge, and the tuning was rock-solid, so I was really bummed about the tuning on the new SE. I widened the nut slots a little, but not much improvement. Replaced with a PRS U.S. nut, and a big improvement. Then added a little graphite to the slots (pencil lead) and tuning is excellent now - I think as good as it's going to get with a trem. Don't have locking tuners. Good luck, and enjoy the new guitar!

Just got my new custom 24! One issue is it will not stay in tune when I do any trem dives whatsoever. I am going to try changing the strings and using some nut sauce (like on my other guitars). I got it from Sweetwater and had them set it up for 10 gauge strings. Looks like they are sticking a bit in the nut :(

The SE nut is cut for 9s. You gotta expand the slots or replace the nut for 10s.

I went with USA PRS nut on my SECU24. It's not as deep tho, so the trussrod cover doesn't come flush to it. You can see a little of the neck behind the nut too, but a black sharpie fixes that.

I wound up getting a Tusq XL Graph Tech nut and installed it myself. Very easy. It was an exact fit for the PRS SE Custom 24 and the tuning issues are gone! I can actually *gasp* bend notes and use the trem now :)

IMG_4923.jpg

Back