2017 S2 Standard 22 - what pickups do I have?

Tone Meister

EDIT: PRS identified my S2 Standard 22 pickups as #7s.

After many years not playing PRS guitars, I recently acquired an S2 Standard 22 in charcoal satin. Going solely on what my research had revealed, I expected it to come with a set of 85/15 "S" pickups.

On stage I found them to be quite mid forward and bright, which isn't what I expected from the 85/15. These pickups are covered, and because they have covers I was told these might be #7 rather than the 85/15 "S" models.

How do I tell for sure without pulling the pickups? Both pickups have nickel covers and the bridge measures about 8.6K and the neck about 7.8K.

Last edited:
I have one from the prior year they should be #7s though to answer your question...I have 2 Standard 22s love em but the pups are just OK, good but not great but they do the job, I haven't changed them out myself but I did get a chance to play a Standard 24 with a JB and 59 set up and it def sounded more 3D than the #7s...

I got it mixed up somehow then. For some reason I had it in my head that the 2017 S2 Standard 22s came with the 85/15 "S" set.

I do plan to change them, and I'm looking at some combination of Pearly Gates, '59, and Alnico Pro II. Most likely a Pearly Gates for the neck and either a '59 or Alnico Pro II in the bridge.

I'm looking for versatile and the JB is just too hot for what I want.

The #7s had covers, when they started doing the 85 15s they took off the covers until this year 2020 models are 85 15s with covers again...what do you think of the guitar otherwise btw? I think theyre the best value out there and they play as well as any US made guitar out there!

The guitar is really nice, and it does sound great, just not what I'm looking for.

The high-midrange response from the pickups is the only issue I have with the S2. I'm going to swap the pickups and never look back. Nothing wrong with the #7s, but they aren't what I want from this guitar. This S2 is definite a keeper, and I could easily see a second S2 in my future.

Last edited:
The guitar is really nice, and it does sound great, just not what I'm looking for.

The high-midrange response from the pickups is the only issue I have with the S2. I'm going to swap the pickups and never look back. Nothing wrong with the #7s, but they aren't what I want from this guitar. This S2 is definite a keeper, and I could easily see a second S2 in my future.
Just swap them. Keep the originals just in case, but make it a guitar you love.

I felt exactly the same way about mine, didn’t care for it in the bridge but did like the neck. Swapped the bridge pickup for a 59/09 and haven’t looked back.

I felt exactly the same way about mine, didn’t care for it in the bridge but did like the neck. Swapped the bridge pickup for a 59/09 and haven’t looked back.

I think these pickups are fine, just geared toward another type player. Certainly no complaints.

Thanks for the responses.

I am curious also. I just picked up a new S2 Custom 24 with covered pickups … the writeup and sales guy at GC says they are 85/15 pups..

I am curious also. I just picked up a new S2 Custom 24 with covered pickups … the writeup and sales guy at GC says they are 85/15 pups..

Mine is a 2017 and all my reasearch led me to believe they'd be a 85/15 "S" set, but I can't be sure until I pull them.

Trying to decide now what to pickups to install in place of them.

They should be 85/15 s pickups. Sound great in my S2 custom 24. No need to change anything.

I've decided to go with a Seymour Duncan 59/Custom hybrid for the bridge and a regular '59 in the neck for now. Won't be able to get to it until the end of the week, but I'll report back when I do.

Psyche! Decided to go with a set of 57/08 after receiving an incredible artist discount from one of my favorite PRS vendors.

If they don't do it for me, I can always resell them and give someone a great deal without losing any money. Win! Win!

Psyche! Decided to go with a set of 57/08 after receiving an incredible artist discount from one of my favorite PRS vendors.

If they don't do it for me, I can always resell them and give someone a great deal without losing any money. Win! Win!

They will!

I've decided to go with a Seymour Duncan 59/Custom hybrid for the bridge and a regular '59 in the neck for now.
I see what you did. o_O:p

Indeed win! Tone report required. :cool:

I see what you did. o_O:p

Indeed win! Tone report required. :cool:

I actually had intended to install the Duncan set I had on hand when I wrote that. But circumstamces fell into place for the 57/08 set and I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to try those.

Last week I traded @gush for a one-piece 2000NOS John Mann trem unit in black nickel, so I'll install that as well while I have the guitar open.

The #7s just weren't my cup of tea. A bit too much in the high mids for my tastes amd style, enough that even the FOH guy noticed it.

I'm stoked about the 57s ...

Back