2017 PRS SE Zach Myers really bright

gablett

So I love this guitar. Hands down my favorite guitar. Ive owned it for 6 months now and I've really tried to like the pickups. Im not one to jump right into changing anything about a guitar. But Im struggling with them, particularly the bridge. The neck tone is really nice, but not the best I've heard. The bridge just seems searingly bright and pretty low output. Like palm muting just doesn't have anything behind it. I play mostly blues, classic rock, to hard rock. Not much metal or super high gain. Maybe some metallica once in a while.

So Im looking for some suggestions. I dont want to spend a fortune on pickups. Maybe the $200 range for a set. I like that paf vintage les paul sound quite a bit. Pearly gates and 36th anniversary P pafs were on my radar but Ive also seen people say PG are little thin and bright. I've also seen some pictures where people put pickups in these with covers and it looks killer, so I would probably go that route. What do you guys think?

Before you spend any money, make sure you've tried adjusting pickup, and pole piece, height. They are pretty sensitive to minor changes. Most are shocked what a difference a quarter turn can make.

Having said that, there are also lots of guys that drop in different pick ups. I did on my Bernie. I just don't care for the zebra look. I don't have any experience with the 36th Anniv, but have heard good things about them. I'm a fan of Bare Knuckle pick ups.

I’ve tried messing with the pickup height from really close to really far and even with each individual pole. Can’t seem to fix the issue.

I’ve looked at bare knuckle but they are pretty speedy.

I’ve looked at bare knuckle but they are pretty speedy.

I'm assuming speedy = pricy?

If price is an issue, there's lots of good lower cost makers: Dragonfire, Iron Gear, GFS, etc.

I have Dragonfire Phat Screamers in one guitar, basically overwound modern PAFs with chunky polepieces for more...something. They also make Invader clones in a bazillion bobbin colors...

My ZM came, used and minty, with covered Duncan Antiquities, and I am super-impressed with the tone and responsiveness in every way. Can't get enough of that guitar.

I also have a set of Seth Lovers in a non-PRS single-cut, and its different but equally glorious. IMO. Ha. I think my problem lately is finally discovering the beauty of a great lower output pickup.

Good luck with your search.

When I got my ZM I found the pups to be nice and aggressive, well suited to that Shinedown sound. Maybe that is what you are calling "too bright"? Anyway, for aesthetic reasons I decided to put covers on my pickups, and that slightly tamed the edge. Maybe that is something cheap, easy, and reversible to consider?

When I got my ZM I found the pups to be nice and aggressive, well suited to that Shinedown sound. Maybe that is what you are calling "too bright"? Anyway, for aesthetic reasons I decided to put covers on my pickups, and that slightly tamed the edge. Maybe that is something cheap, easy, and reversible to consider?

Yea I guess I didnt know covers would tame the tone. I can give that a shot. Still open to other pickup advice as well.

I have been suggested on another forum to try the slash APH2 set. Anyone have any experience? They are also long leg buckers, so will they fit?

Back