2017 PRS SE Zach Myers electronics upgrades

Hoove

Long time reader, first time poster.

1. So, I have been pretty happy with my purchase. However, the pickups seem to lack a little life, so I am ordering Seymour Duncan JB / Jazz set.

2. Like many others, I have had tuning problems. So, a Tusq XL nut is on the way.

3. Lately, I have also been experiencing issues with the toggle switch cutting out on me (yes, both volume knobs were turned up). Anyone else have this problem? Is it bad wiring or a bad switch?

4. At this point, I figured that I would go ahead and upgrade the pots and get a push/pull split for the coils. Anybody know what's compatible for this model?
photo.php

3. Lately, I have also been experiencing issues with the toggle switch cutting out on me (yes, both volume knobs were turned up). Anyone else have this problem? Is it bad wiring or a bad switch?

IMHO, it's probably the switch. The switch on mine was temperamental as well (it would spontaneously pop into the middle position), but the PRS dealer from whom I bought it replaced it with another PRS SE OEM switch under warranty.

My switch started cutting out after about a year and I swapped it with a switchcraft. All my other wiring has been totally fine so I’ve left it.

Actually, I have three SEs (including a Santana and a C22 Semihollow) and those two both needed their toggles replaced, same cutting out thing, very randomly occurring. Now they’re fine. Thankfully, my ZM hasn’t given me a problem yet, but it also came to me modded with a sweet set of Antiquities, so for all I know, the switch had already been swapped too.

Each of my SEs are really great guitars, but still, I have to wonder if the samething will happen with my “next” SE (an inevitable acquisition, I suppose). ‘Tis their (surprising) weak link, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
Actually, I have three SEs (including a Santana and a C22 Semihollow) and those two both needed their goggles replaced, same cutting out thing, very randomly occurring. Now they’re fine. Thankfully, my ZM hasn’t given me a problem yet, but it also came to me modded with a sweet set of Antiquities, so for all I know, the switch had already been swapped too.

Each of my SEs are really great guitars, but still, I have to wonder if the samething will happen with my “next” SE (an inevitable acquisition, I suppose). ‘Tis their (surprising) weak link, at least in my experience.

I did notice this on the Torero I bought. It has ALL prs electronics now so problem solved!

Thanks for the replies, all.
One thing that I was wondering was whether or not the standard PRS installed Singlecut electronics are compatible with the SE Semi-Hollow ZM Singlecut.

Thanks for the replies, all.
One thing that I was wondering was whether or not the standard PRS installed Singlecut electronics are compatible with the SE Semi-Hollow ZM Singlecut.

The Torero had a 3 way blade switch and the USA 5 way switch fits perfect. I had to enlarge the holes for the USA pots to fit. I used a fine rasp tool and it didn't take much to make them fit
I also put a usa jack plate assembly on but it didn't quite cover the 2 screw holes from the original plate. The sides and back are black so I'll fill in the holes and color them black. No biggy as its not an expensive guitar, just better than stock.

I have had the same toggle problem on my ZM that you describe. Very odd and inconsistent. I am probably going to install a Switchcraft. Mostly, the switch works fine. Then, it will cut out when switching to the bridge pickup. But, it always comes back. It is just unreliable.

Exactly!
It just happens randomly, but comes back after messing with it for a minute. Need to get it swapped before I try to take it to a gig!

Which model switch does it take, long shaft or short??

Long time reader, first time poster.

1. So, I have been pretty happy with my purchase. However, the pickups seem to lack a little life, so I am ordering Seymour Duncan JB / Jazz set.

2. Like many others, I have had tuning problems. So, a Tusq XL nut is on the way.

4. At this point, I figured that I would go ahead and upgrade the pots and get a push/pull split for the coils. Anybody know what's compatible for this model?
photo.php
I have had the same problem on same guitar. My bridge pickup cuts out due to switch problems. PRS support has been nothing short of incredible! ! Replacing 3 way toggle now with a ACC-4118 upgrade switch from PRS. It isn't loose in the middle position, nor does it rattle like se switch does is middle posistion. There is a noticeable difference in the two switches which you can compare on PRS website. Also notice the upgrade is a switch craft. Hope to get to install it this weekend on my 2017 Zach. Love this guitar!
It has 10-46 Nyxl strings on it and stays in tune very well. Hope this helps.

Exactly!
It just happens randomly, but comes back after messing with it for a minute. Need to get it swapped before I try to take it to a gig!

Which model switch does it take, long shaft or short??
It comes with the short. Long will fit. : )

My switch was doing the same thing as described above and today it completely broke. Guitar is stuck in the middle selection. Purchased in July of 2018. Should be covered by warranty, right??

Update: The switch fell apart and I had the local guitar tech replace it with a quality switch. I think it is time to upgrade the pups now...

Last edited:
Back