2017 line up!

Wow... I can't believe the 513 is gone. My favorite model. I'm surprised we haven't heard from @Dancing Frog on this malfeasance.

I wish PRS would publish some details about how the 509 and 513 pickups are different in terms of output and voicing. All I've heard are anecdotes that the 509 pickups are "a little more tele'ish in the bridge and strat'ish in the neck".

I think they're the same pickups. If they're voiced differently, it may have more to do with the electronics than actual subtle shifts in the pickups.

Dancing Frog owns one of the GOM 509. I remind that he stated that they did some additional effort to the sound of the pickups.
To get more or less telish or stratish behaviour Customer Service (PTC) recommends to flip the active singlecoil position at treble or bass. At treble the active coil near to bridge is supposed to bring more snappiness (more Tele).

Since it seems like 594 may be replacing 245 as the preferred shorter scale length, I wonder whether we'll see P594/SH models released at some point in the future. Working on a piezo version of the two-piece bridge might explain the delay.

Of course, that's nothing but wild speculation.
This would be a great evolution of the line. It would make sense, use the one set of jigs for all SCs so they have a 24.594" scale length.

Speaking of similar guitars...

I saw John Wesley last night - he opened for Steven Wilson (for whom he toured with as second guitarist in Porcupine Tree). (Awesome show, by the way, for both Wes and Steven+band.) He played his SingleCut Trem 22 fret Piezo. It has the classic LP control layout, as far as I know, but an added set of controls for a piezo. That would be a great model to produce as the combo of the McCarty SC 594 and our now-missing piezo-equipped SC models. I don't know if John is "big enough" or considered brand-loyal enough (he also plays LPs and other stuff) to warrant a signature model, but man, he would deserve it. Here's a pic (dunno if the link will last forever, but it is quite old now, so hopefully will stay around...)

John-Wesley-620x400.jpg

This would be a great evolution of the line. It would make sense, use the one set of jigs for all SCs so they have a 24.594" scale length.

Speaking of similar guitars...

I saw John Wesley last night - he opened for Steven Wilson (for whom he toured with as second guitarist in Porcupine Tree). (Awesome show, by the way, for both Wes and Steven+band.) He played his SingleCut Trem 22 fret Piezo. It has the classic LP control layout, as far as I know, but an added set of controls for a piezo. That would be a great model to produce as the combo of the McCarty SC 594 and our now-missing piezo-equipped SC models. I don't know if John is "big enough" or considered brand-loyal enough (he also plays LPs and other stuff) to warrant a signature model, but man, he would deserve it. Here's a pic (dunno if the link will last forever, but it is quite old now, so hopefully will stay around...)

John-Wesley-620x400.jpg

I tried getting that done for my Private Stock, but PRS wouldn't do it. Apparently John Wesley's is truly a one off. Maybe they will do it now, who knows.

Regarding the discontinuing of the 513 and announcing of the 509, it´s sad that PRS sacrifices an Unique Selling Point guitar. The USP is the electric no other guitar on the market has.
The 509 comes with the same layout likewise the Brent Mason. Indeed, other pickups at treble and bass, but coil tapping seperately on bass and treble is there possible aswell. Yes, other materials by same scale length, other neck joint. But an unique, easy-to-use-switching has been sacrificed.

A 509 would become unique, too, If bass and treble pickup could have been mixed in their different modes together, despite and additional to the middle pickup. But as a production line model it won´t deal with that.

Last edited:
A question concerning the "retro" Santana:

The product description says the following:

Several unique design elements are reintroduced on this model, including a deeper body carve, original style heel, and the original headstock shape and nut placement.
(Bold my emphasis.)

I cannot discern a difference in the headstock or nut placement between the 2017 and 2016 models, based on the photos on their product pages. Maybe the 2017 has an ever so slightly shorter headstock - the distance from the top tuners to the top of the headstock looks possibly a touch shorter. Can someone please point of what must be blindingly obvious to everyone else?

A question concerning the "retro" Santana:

The product description says the following:

(Bold my emphasis.)

I cannot discern a difference in the headstock or nut placement between the 2017 and 2016 models, based on the photos on their product pages. Maybe the 2017 has an ever so slightly shorter headstock - the distance from the top tuners to the top of the headstock looks possibly a touch shorter. Can someone please point of what must be blindingly obvious to everyone else?

I have PS versions of both, and I think you basically have it. The headstock is maybe 1/8" shorter or so. Also at least the PS retro Santanas has a slightly thicker mahogany back, and mine has a really rich fat tone.

I have PS versions of both, and I think you basically have it. The headstock is maybe 1/8" shorter or so. Also at least the PS retro Santanas has a slightly thicker mahogany back, and mine has a really rich fat tone.
Perhaps we could one day see the body profiles between Santana core 2015-2016 vs. Santana retro (and McCarty 594). If Santana retro has a body profile similar to a LP, then the difference is quite significant (wood-wise at least).

Perhaps we could one day see the body profiles between Santana core 2015-2016 vs. Santana retro (and McCarty 594). If Santana retro has a body profile similar to a LP, then the difference is quite significant (wood-wise at least).

I don't have an LP on hand, but I suspect surface area of the top the Santana shape is similar to an LP. the retro is not nearly as thick as an LP though.

PRS got me over the allure of binding all those years ago, now it looks weird.
Same here.
The old and famous metaphor/comparison between guitars and violins from the man himself, made the non-binding neck a good match to the whole package (at least from my humble point of view).

Here are some shots to show the difference in thickness, sort of subtle maybe only a 1/16" - 1/8" difference? the second shot is the retro.

Back