2017 line up!

What is different about the gen 3 trem?
From the website
  • The Gen III trem also has a few notable updates that further support the fidelity of the guitar’s tone and maximize sustain.
  • E. The mounting screws have been redesigned with larger thread and a larger custom head. This added mass creates more contact from the screw to the bridge and the guitar’s body, resulting in greater sustain.
  • F. Grooves have been added to the bridge plate. The grooves are radiused to match the radius of the height adjustment screws, again so there is more contact and a better fit.

The P245 seems to be the bigger loss as the SC594 is really the evolution of the SC245 in some ways.

I don't see a single semi-hollow in the core line, although there are still three in the S2 line. Can I just say I really hate that they don't even keep the previous year's guitars up? They should keep the previous year's guitars up, until at least most of the stock is sold off.

Whilst I am sad that the 513 and SC HB II are gone, I also know there are probably enough extant instruments of each model that I can probably find one in the color/features that i want, eventually, on the used market.

I found a nice 305 earlier this year, despite it being a long-discontinued model.

The dropping of the P245 (SH especially) is unfortunate - it hasn't been around very long, and I guess it wasn't selling, so that means there are very few individuals in existence.

Yeah, that's probably the attitude I should adopt -- I can always get what I want on either the used market or via private stock.

509 does not have artist package options? That's weird, I'd figure a maple neck would be sufficiently sought after in all models that it would be an artist package option. Perhaps it's just an oversight.

Also, I wonder if the electronics are different so they are less troublesome...? Hope so...hmmm...maybe I should keep my 513...
The link is at the bottom of the product page.

http://www.prsguitars.com/products/2016
Thanks! That makes me feel better.

Are they going to come out with a new Brent Mason model? It looks like it has been retired. Brent is still listed as a signature artist so we shall see i guess.

@Dusty Chalk,
Are you kidding? No question to me keeping my 513. I admit that the electronics of the 509 allows setting options a 513 can´t fullfil: keeping on side of the guitar in a different pickup mode than the other on and switching between them just by the 5-way-switch.
But - as a matter of fact - after more than 1.800 repetitions in switching through modes and PU positions, I´m at the level of automatism to get the requiered voicing quicl enough.

Since it seems like 594 may be replacing 245 as the preferred shorter scale length, I wonder whether we'll see P594/SH models released at some point in the future. Working on a piezo version of the two-piece bridge might explain the delay.

Of course, that's nothing but wild speculation.

I don't see a single semi-hollow in the core line, although there are still three in the S2 line. Can I just say I really hate that they don't even keep the previous year's guitars up? They should keep the previous year's guitars up, until at least most of the stock is sold off.

I have a P245 Semi-Hollow in my closet, in the shipping box unopened, waiting for my 40th birthday next year. Something in my gut told me to get it early. Glad I did, as it truly is my dream guitar. Only thing I feared was that they'd maybe come out with a Trem model, which would make the guitar 100% ideal for my needs.... I didn't expect the whole thing to disappear from the line-up completely. Ha ha!

Like someone else mentioned though, the fact that these guitars are discontinued doesn't make them any less amazing. And, there will be some out there, ready to be purchased still...new and used.

Yeah, that's probably the attitude I should adopt -- I can always get what I want on either the used market or via private stock.

509 does not have artist package options? That's weird, I'd figure a maple neck would be sufficiently sought after in all models that it would be an artist package option. Perhaps it's just an oversight.

Also, I wonder if the electronics are different so they are less troublesome...? Hope so...hmmm...maybe I should keep my 513...Thanks! That makes me feel better.

I wondered same re the Artist Package, but I think it's just an oversight on the site. None of the new models have that detail, but all the old ones still do.

509 with maple neck would be excellent! I will have to keep reminding myself I love the guitars I have.

Glad I got my P245 as well @Gman77! You will like it when you finally open it.

Also noticed that the SC594 and the Tremonti are the only two SC's in the Core lineup. I guess its enough with the 24.594, 25 and 25.5 scale lengths represented. 25.5 for a short time anyway.

As noted, so is the 513. I don't understand that - the 509 is "most" of a 513. Why not keep the 513? i really don't see the point.

I think the point was to make it more user friendly by moving away from the five way plus three way and use the 5way with the Brent Mason/Pauls guitar mini toggle set up for each bucker. The individual switching is pretty easy to get your head around.

I will be looking at adding an SC594 and a Santana Retro to the fold in 2017......

Ooh! Good point, that actually does make a lot of sense.
@Dusty Chalk,
Are you kidding? No question to me keeping my 513. I admit that the electronics of the 509 allows setting options a 513 can´t fullfil: keeping on side of the guitar in a different pickup mode than the other on and switching between them just by the 5-way-switch.
But - as a matter of fact - after more than 1.800 repetitions in switching through modes and PU positions, I´m at the level of automatism to get the requiered voicing quicl enough.
Yeah, I know, I just have too many guitars, man. And there's something psychologically overwhelming about one as versatile and nuanced as the 513, which makes me never play it, as opposed to something simple like the Archtop or the SC-J, which I play all the time.

I wondered same re the Artist Package, but I think it's just an oversight on the site. None of the new models have that detail, but all the old ones still do.
I clicked on one at random -- the 408, since it was right next to the 509 -- and it did have an Artist Package. So that was the entirety of my statistical sample -- one yes, one not.

Back