2017 Custom 24 with pickup covers???

Jesse Segovia

I have a line on a beautiful 2017 Custom 24 that looks completely legit, with two-tone hardware, blade pickup selector, volume and tone knobs, etc. But it has nickel pickup covers. The seller says most top-end PRS guitars come with pickup covers but I know it's not that simple. It seems there are some specific models that do and lots of people have customized their guitars with covers or with completely different pickups that come with covers, but the stock 2017 Custom 24 seems to never include covers.

Is it even possible to put pickup covers over the 85/18 pickups with the larger bobbins?

Does anyone else know of any other stock Customer 24s with pickup covers?

Thanks!

Jesse

Also, it looks in the photos that the pickup screws are chrome, not gold as I believe they're supposed to be. Does this means they're replacement pickups?

I would love to ask the seller to remove the pickup covers but I doubt he would.

There have been a number of completely-legitimate dealer-ordered Customs that seem to have stuff like covered 57/08 pickups (most of these are on Custom 22 guitars, currently at authorized new retailers) or sometimes covered 59/09 or oddball stuff like that.

Now... covers on the 85/15 pickups--no, I've never seen that at all. The 58/15 have covers, as do the 58/15 LT, but not the 85/15.

Might bear clarifying with the seller (or ask for a clear picture of the paperwork that accompanied the guitar) because the general guitar-playing public cannot even keep the names of these pickups straight.

Thanks very much for those links. I notice in the newer guitar it has gold pickup screws like an uncovered newer 85/15, but this one has chrome screws.

I do have a picture of the hang tag (not sure how to upload photos in this forum) but it's very small. For pickups they both say 85/15 but after that for the first pickup it might say '5M' or 'TM' and for the last pickup it might say '4M' or 7M.' I'm probably wrong about that, though. I went online to try to find some hang tags I could compare this to but I couldn't find any.

Thanks very much for those links. I notice in the newer guitar it has gold pickup screws like an uncovered newer 85/15, but this one has chrome screws.

I do have a picture of the hang tag (not sure how to upload photos in this forum) but it's very small. For pickups they both say 85/15 but after that for the first pickup it might say '5M' or 'TM' and for the last pickup it might say '4M' or 7M.' I'm probably wrong about that, though. I went online to try to find some hang tags I could compare this to but I couldn't find any.
It would be 81/15 TM (for Trade Mark). I didn't know they ever made covered versions of that pickup. I have had two Cu24s that both had covered pickups. A 2014 with 57/08 and a 2020 with 58/15LT. As long as they are etched with 85/15, I'd say they're legit, and that guitar was a custom order. Maybe a WL, or AP. You are also correct in your thinking. Usually hybrid hardware would have gold screws.

I'm going to have to pass. I asked if he could send me pictures of the underside of the pickups and he got upset and said 'I'm not taking the guitar apart!'

Ah well .. it wasn't meant to be.

I'm thinking it's more of a case that the seller didn't know or could not clearly communicate exactly which pickups were in the guitar. Understandably, for those who do not obsess over gear specs (yes, those people exist, and believe it or not some of them can be great players too!), this sort of specific information is either (A) not as clearly obvious or (B) doesn't matter to them anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the seller didn't really know what he has. He says he looked into it a bit more and believes the guitar has the USA Metal pickups on it. I looked at the photos and I don't see the characteristic '\m/' marks on the pickups covers but maybe PRS made them without those marks, or maybe it's somebody else's covers, or he could be wrong.

I'm not into metal so I don't think this is the guitar for me. I just wanted to be sure I was buying what was advertised.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the seller didn't really know what he has. He says he looked into it a bit more and believes the guitar has the USA Metal pickups on it. I looked at the photos and I don't see the characteristic '\m/' marks on the pickups covers but maybe PRS made them without those marks, or maybe it's somebody else's covers, or he could be wrong.

I'm not into metal so I don't think this is the guitar for me. I just wanted to be sure I was buying what was advertised.

Don't be fooled by the \m/ name - yes, they do that sound very well, but they also clean up very nicely. They're very versatile pickups - they cover a lot of ground. Definitely not one-trick ponies.

Back