2017 Autumnal Concert Chronicles

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Decided to start a new thread since we're really stretching the meaning of summer at this point, and also a slight title change to reflect that we've been reflecting in the thread as well.

Last night was Jared James Nichols, Saxon and UFO. I don't believe I'd seen Saxon before. They were pretty good, but I was only vaguely familiar w/a couple of their songs. Add in that it was nearly impossible to see the band from where we were, and it meant much less impact.

We moved downstairs for UFO - much better vantage point. I'd only seen them once, opening for Cheap Trick in 1981 (maybe 1980), and even then, only saw two or three songs because my friend insisted he knew how to get from the bus stop to the arena - and he was wrong. After traipsing through town for half an hour, I finally got us there, past the heroin dealer and in for the final couple songs. Not last night - saw the whole thing, and I have to say, I thought they were much better than Saxon. Seemed to have more engagement and connection with the crowd. I'd never seen Vinnie Moore before, but he was fun to watch - clearly having a blast. Funniest moment to me was when Phil Moog said before the fourth or fifth song, "This is the title track from the Lights Out album." My immediate response (which I fortunately didn't blurt out) was, "That's not right - that would be 'Lights Out', and they're not going to play that this early." And I was wrong.

Jared James Nichols was the opener - if you like your music loud and guitar-heavy, this is a guy to keep your eyes on, kids. Only did about five songs, including a ballsy cover of "Stranglehold", but he was great. Made me want to come home and plug in, but that's not a popular idea at 1 AM (or wise when you have to get up for work the next day). My buddy bought me his CD and got it signed after his set, and I got a chance to chat w/him a little after it was all over. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for him.

Also found out last night that Rik Emmett is coming to a very small venue near me in November. Just waiting to hear if my buddy will be in town for that, although I might just buy two tix anyway. Will make a busy November even busier - looking at potentially seven shows in 20 days. Fortunately only one road trip.

Decided to start a new thread since we're really stretching the meaning of summer at this point, and also a slight title change to reflect that we've been reflecting in the thread as well.

Last night was Jared James Nichols, Saxon and UFO. I don't believe I'd seen Saxon before. They were pretty good, but I was only vaguely familiar w/a couple of their songs. Add in that it was nearly impossible to see the band from where we were, and it meant much less impact.

We moved downstairs for UFO - much better vantage point. I'd only seen them once, opening for Cheap Trick in 1981 (maybe 1980), and even then, only saw two or three songs because my friend insisted he knew how to get from the bus stop to the arena - and he was wrong. After traipsing through town for half an hour, I finally got us there, past the heroin dealer and in for the final couple songs. Not last night - saw the whole thing, and I have to say, I thought they were much better than Saxon. Seemed to have more engagement and connection with the crowd. I'd never seen Vinnie Moore before, but he was fun to watch - clearly having a blast. Funniest moment to me was when Phil Moog said before the fourth or fifth song, "This is the title track from the Lights Out album." My immediate response (which I fortunately didn't blurt out) was, "That's not right - that would be 'Lights Out', and they're not going to play that this early." And I was wrong.

Jared James Nichols was the opener - if you like your music loud and guitar-heavy, this is a guy to keep your eyes on, kids. Only did about five songs, including a ballsy cover of "Stranglehold", but he was great. Made me want to come home and plug in, but that's not a popular idea at 1 AM (or wise when you have to get up for work the next day). My buddy bought me his CD and got it signed after his set, and I got a chance to chat w/him a little after it was all over. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for him.

Also found out last night that Rik Emmett is coming to a very small venue near me in November. Just waiting to hear if my buddy will be in town for that, although I might just buy two tix anyway. Will make a busy November even busier - looking at potentially seven shows in 20 days. Fortunately only one road trip.

I saw this tour back in March. For me, Saxon stole the show. More energy, better mix. I love UFO, but the vocals weren't loud enough so you had to struggle to hear. While I like Vinnie, a lot, he could have dialed it down a notch. His playing was a little over the top at times. I may hold Schenker in too high regard and may be uber-critical due to that. At any rate, it was a great show that I would gladly see again.

You're right on the money about Jared James Nichols. He, and his band, were hot! I picked up the CD on the way out as well. I hope he has a bright future.

Last Saturday was Morris Day and The Time with Sergio and his girl, and a friend of theirs. Great show. Not really my cup of tea, but I had fun. Helps that the band was tight as all get out. He's a great showman. Nu Blu Band opened for them. Buddy Guy's daughter is the singer. She's got a good set of pipes. Band was good. I'd see them again.

The only thing I've got on the agenda for the fall is Dream Theater November 3rd. Since I'm going solo I popped for a meet and greet ticket. Should be a great show since they are doing Images & Words and Change Of Seasons in their entirety.

i saw Avatarium a couple of weeks ago. Great show, but not a lot of people were in the club. (made it more easy for me to grab a guitar pick and the set list after the show)
a week later i saw Evergrey in a sweaty club. pretty cool, but for a band that's been busy for all of those years i expected that little bit more

and i went to Alter Bridge last week for the 5th time in a year. as Always, it was a great show and besides the awesome guitar playing, i was again drooling all over the guitars.

next up is:
- Metallica with Kvelertak
- Mastodon with Red Fang
- StoneSour with the Pretty Reckless
- HIM - farewell show

Last edited:
Alter Bridge is still on my list for someday...if they ever play close enough. Five times? I thought I was doing good with a chance to complete the Davy Knowles hat trick next month!

We got tix for Rik Emmett next month, so if Davy Knowles happens, it'll five shows in ten days.

And I just got tix for another round of Robin Trower in the spring. Weird Al tix go on sale Thursday, also for the spring - this is the first time he'll tour focusing on his original music. And Emo Phillips is the opener. I saw Emo in the late 80s/early 90s at a comedy club, and I saw Weird Al in 1984/85 with Dr. Demento opening. That's right, I got to meet the Dr.!

Foo Fighters tonight!
Pretty sure Alter Bridge in December, working out details on that now. Should be able to get some sweet pics as those are VIP tickets.

Davy Knowles isn't going to happen - changed to a different city too far away to go and come back the same night. Might pick up Marshall Tucker again if Steppin Stones are with them again.

I didn't know Alter Bridge was going to do more US dates. Hopefully close enough for me!

Went to see Lulu of all people Monday evening. I was just a nipper when she was smashing it up,
and somewhat to my surprise she was really good!!! The voice was still booming and the band were excellent.
point to self (Don't criticize before an event)!!! Next up.
Uncle Bernie Marsden at the 100 Club (London) followed by Roger Waters (Hyde Park and Foo Fighters (London Stadium.

Went to see Lulu of all people Monday evening. I was just a nipper when she was smashing it up,
and somewhat to my surprise she was really good!!! The voice was still booming and the band were excellent.
point to self (Don't criticize before an event)!!! Next up.
Uncle Bernie Marsden at the 100 Club (London) followed by Roger Waters (Hyde Park and Foo Fighters (London Stadium.

You're in for a treat with Roger! I went and saw him on a Sunday. Liked it so much I took the wife to see him the next Friday as well (he did 3 shows in Chicago). It was my first time seeing him.

I also saw a show from the tour you mentioned. It is interesting to hear how people can view the same differently. For me, I thought UFO was great as well as Vinnie Moore's playing. He nails the vibe of the hallowed ground of Schenker and adds new twists and turns to the newer songs.
Saxon is not my cup of tea and I had a beer in the lobby during that part. Jared James Nichols was a VERY pleasant surprise.

Enjoy! I hear it was awesome! I didn't get to go. Had to be a good husband instead.

I was a good husband, too - left my wife at home for the night!

It was outstanding. I'm not a huge DT fan - I have probably five or six albums or so, but I'd be hard-pressed to identify a song (other than hearing the chorus of "Pull Me Under"). But I love Petrucci's playing, I have LaBrie's Mullmuzzler CDs, and I love Mangini. Had a blast - very cool to watch Mangini's interplay and goofing around w/the rest of the band. We were close enough to read his lips counting some of the odd measures, and at one point during a Rudess solo, we could see him telling Myung and Petrucci (while pointing at Rudess), "I'm following him!"

Petrucci was just a joy to watch - he makes it look so effortless. Made me want an EBMM 7-string Petrucci for the whammy bar and piezo.

First set was about 65 minutes, second set and encore was 100 minutes, so about 2:45 total. Sound was pretty good (vocals seemed a tad low in the mix). Crowd was a tad smaller than I expected.

I was a good husband, too - left my wife at home for the night!

It was outstanding. I'm not a huge DT fan - I have probably five or six albums or so, but I'd be hard-pressed to identify a song (other than hearing the chorus of "Pull Me Under"). But I love Petrucci's playing, I have LaBrie's Mullmuzzler CDs, and I love Mangini. Had a blast - very cool to watch Mangini's interplay and goofing around w/the rest of the band. We were close enough to read his lips counting some of the odd measures, and at one point during a Rudess solo, we could see him telling Myung and Petrucci (while pointing at Rudess), "I'm following him!"

Petrucci was just a joy to watch - he makes it look so effortless. Made me want an EBMM 7-string Petrucci for the whammy bar and piezo.

First set was about 65 minutes, second set and encore was 100 minutes, so about 2:45 total. Sound was pretty good (vocals seemed a tad low in the mix). Crowd was a tad smaller than I expected.

Great to hear! I've got all of their stuff, but don't find myself listening to it as much as other things. Love Petrucci as well. He does make it look effortless. Also agree about the low vocal mix. That seems to be the norm for them.

So bummed I missed them I'm thinking about G3 at the of February just so I can see him.

Great to hear! I've got all of their stuff, but don't find myself listening to it as much as other things. Love Petrucci as well. He does make it look effortless. Also agree about the low vocal mix. That seems to be the norm for them.

So bummed I missed them I'm thinking about G3 at the of February just so I can see him.

I was planning on G3, but they announced Hannah Wicklund and the Steppin Stones for the same night before the G3 tix were available. They won out. I was a little bummed because I was looking forward to Satch (even w/o Keneally, Beller & Minnemann) and Petrucci. I heard Phil Collen on a podcast a few weeks ago - great stuff, and it made almost wish I was going to that show instead.

I was planning on G3, but they announced Hannah Wicklund and the Steppin Stones for the same night before the G3 tix were available. They won out. I was a little bummed because I was looking forward to Satch (even w/o Keneally, Beller & Minnemann) and Petrucci. I heard Phil Collen on a podcast a few weeks ago - great stuff, and it made almost wish I was going to that show instead.

I think you just made up my mind!

I think you just made up my mind!

Satriani announced his touring band this week - Keneally, Beller and Joe Travers. Damn! They're about two hours away a week+ later, but it's mid-February. If the weather is good, I'll make that trip.

Back