2016 Challenge

OK. I'll play. I've wanted to play this song (Welcome All Again) from the first time I saw Collective Soul open with it. Bryan (Queencity), Markie, and I got together for a jam at Markie's last Saturday. I wasn't sure how to play the opening riff, so I asked Bryan, and he figured it out in about 45 seconds. (Thanks, Bryan!)

Anyway, I'm playing along with the sound track to give it some reference.

Sounds great, Steve! :cool: Nice guitar, by the way.

OK. I'll play. I've wanted to play this song (Welcome All Again) from the first time I saw Collective Soul open with it. Bryan (Queencity), Markie, and I got together for a jam at Markie's last Saturday. I wasn't sure how to play the opening riff, so I asked Bryan, and he figured it out in about 45 seconds. (Thanks, Bryan!)

Sounds like you got it. Nice work!

Nicely done. I've always liked Collective Soul. I appreciate them more now than I did 15 years ago. Ed Roland writes some good songs!

Hello everyone! My contribution to the "2016 Challenge" is a freshly recorded cover of "Running Down A Dream." This has always been one of my favorite songs by Tom Petty, so it was a lot of fun to record it. I'm usually a death metal guy (read: all my other covers of songs like Billie Jean, 25 or 6 to 4, Abracadabra, etc. are death metal), but I purposely tried to keep this more in the "hard rock" domain. This is the first time I've ever recorded vocals other than growling, so hopefully they aren't too terrible. Rhythm guitar tracks were all recorded with my PRS Custom 24 rosewood neck. Hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/edward-bernard/the-wet-dark-running-down-a-dream-fade

Pick a song and/or a solo that you don't already know, learn it, record it, and post it here, in this thread, sometime in 2016.

I am glad that we have all year to do this. :rolleyes: Postings to date are impressive! Oh I forgot, that also means I have to learn how to record???o_O

I am glad that we have all year to do this. :rolleyes: Postings to date are impressive! Oh I forgot, that also means I have to learn how to record???o_O

Yeah, I started this, but I need time myownself! I'm in the midst of recording something, but by my own rules it doesn't qualify for this since I started it last year. So I have to find something, learn it and record it. Now, if I'm in the same spot in November...

Learning to record? Not necessary. The medium is not the message, although that shouldn't discourage you from doing so. But it doesn't matter if it's recorded into a DAW, on on answering machine, a cell phone video or even a wax cylinder (Les's medium of choice!) - the journey is the important thing, even if it never gets posted. But posting it is the icing on the cake.

No one told me there would be cake.

There will probably be cake. It's going to depend on what you use to record your submission. Cake, as most of us know, is incompatible with some recording devices.

You can't have your cake and ADAT, too.

There will probably be cake. It's going to depend on what you use to record your submission. Cake, as most of us know, is incompatible with some recording devices.

You can't have your cake and ADAT, too.
Rim shot followed by heavy groan....o_O

And the clock is ticking...........
Status update - In a moment a rare creative "brilliance" (???:eek:), I created a bass backing track for the Huey Lewis song Heart and Soul. I also learned the basic riffs / licks that are played by the lead guitarist on the song. Next step is to put an organ and rhythm guitar parts on the track. Then I will play a combination of licks or chords over the track. Stay tuned......Still have to record all this. I think someone (above) said something about "cake". Still thinking about that???????

Hey good job man! That song looks like allot of fun to play. By the way are those 57/08 pickups in you single cut?
Again good job!

Hey good job man! That song looks like allot of fun to play. By the way are those 57/08 pickups in you single cut?
Again good job!

Thanks! It is a fun song; that opening riff is all about the cadence. The pickup you are hearing is the bridge and it's a 59/09. The neck pup is a 57/08.

At the end of that Collective Soul song are a couple of others on YouTube that are live with my band, Spirit of Roth. "Life is Good" is a tune I wrote and the vocals are mine.

Back