2015 PRS Custom 22 or 2015 Gibson Les Paul Standard

Macmutt

Hey Guy's, I realize i'm in a PRS forum, but I was hoping some die hard lovers of the guitar in general could give me some honest opinions.
I'm finally able to afford to get my dream guitar and i'm kind of stuck and just can't decide between the 2015 LP standard or the 2015 PRS Custom 22.

I know I want the mahogany maple combo and slim profile neck, which both have, and i'm well aware of all the new bells and whistles the 2015 Les Paul has with the adjustable brass nut, and removable pick guard, the wider neck, the adjustable bridge while tuned....as for coil taps both PRS and the LP have it, and the Geforce tuning on the LP .is nice but not a decision maker for me.

I really prefer the double cut guitars, SG's, Strat's, PRS and so on but I need that mahogany & maple combo and I don't like the cherry finish on the new LP double cut, so i'm torn between the PRS custom 22 and the Les Paul standard.

I play blues rock mostly, Clapton, Allman Brothers, Gary Moore, Skynyrd, Buddy Guy, sometimes Guns n Roses, but I love and prefer the fat warm sound that comes from the combo of mahogany, maple and humbuckers.

Plus I should say I really dislike weight relieved guitars and most of Gibsons Les Pauls are weight relieved, except the Traditional model, but this years Traditional does not come with a slim Taper neck, so that's out.

Sorry for the long read but I would appreciate some unbiased, honest opinions and why you feel like you do about your guitar of choice.....thank you for any help you can offer.

Last edited:
I was in your Same dilemma not 3 months ago. Finally ponied up funds for my Dream guitar which was to be a Les Paul Traditional. Not being a fan of Gibson's new changes for 2015 AND the 30% price hike I started looking at better bang for the buck guitars. I have been enamored with PRS since I saw Neil Schon play one back in 2001. Long story short, I turned to Ebay and found a PRS McCarty MC58 with 58/08 pickups for half the price of a new Gibby Les Paul. I don't for one New York second regret my decision. The fit/finish, tone and playability of the PRS MC58 blow me away everytime I have picked it up. Mahogany body with Maple cap...I've got it! Have you considered a McCarty by chance?

.__480_855_PRS%20MC58%201.jpg

Good luck in your hunt...it's half the fun and either way you win no matter what you choose!!!

Steve

Last edited:
Go to a store and see what guitar is best for you.Two guitars of the same model can be different.Buy the one that speaks to you.Dont be suprised you leave the store with a DGT :)

Last edited:
I don't think you are going to get too much flack for considering a Les Paul. Many of us have one. I have two but they both say Heritage on the headstock.

Besides the stuff you mentioned, another goodie that the 2015 Les Paul comes with is a 28% price increase. That should make the Cu22 much more attractive. If you are willing to pay the increase, my advice is to play both and then choose.

I was in your Same dilemma not 3 months ago. Finally ponied up funds for my Dream guitar which was to be a Les Paul Traditional. Not being a fan of Gibson's new changes for 2015 AND the 30% price hike I started looking at better bang for the buck guitars. I have been enamored with PRS since I saw Neil Schon play one back in 2001. Long story short, I turned to Ebay and found a PRS McCarty MC58 with 58/08 pickups for half the price of a new Gibby Les Paul. I don't for one New York second regret my decision. The fit/finish, tone and playability of the PRS MC58 blow me away everytime I have picked it up. Mahogany body with Maple cap...I've got it! Have you considered a McCarty by chance?

.__480_855_PRS%20MC58%201.jpg

Good luck in your hunt...it's half the fun and either way you win no matter what you choose!!!

Steve

Didn't know they still made the Mcarty model...I will consider it...Thanks.

Hey Guy's, I realize i'm in a PRS forum, but I was hoping some die hard lovers of the guitar in general could give me some honest opinions.

My best advice is that the LP and the CU22 are different enough in form factor and in what they're supposed to accomplish that the only real way to decide is to play as many as you can of both, and get what you bond with. Either way, it's a decision you really can't screw up. Both are great guitars.

I'd suggest that the best of all worlds in your situation would be a PRS Singlecut, but the neck is the Pattern profile, not the Pattern Thin, so that is out given your preference for a thinner neck.

What you gain with the CU22 is that it can do coil splits with several alternative tones that are impossible with the Lester. What you're giving up with the CU22 is the oomph and bark that the thicker body of a Lester or a Singlecut can give to notes. Both guitars are distinctive sounding, and each has its charms.

What you also get with the PRS is in many cases greater playability and consistency of tone, and then there is the whole fit and finish thing, though I see that Gibsons are improving, I also still find their tone wildly variable from guitar to guitar, and the playability ranges from very nice to iffy.

Beyond that, however, I'm a longtime PRS player and I am biased.

I have a Les Paul. Love it dearly. But if I could get one of the two you mentioned it is the PRS. I don't have reason for that beyond personal choice. I'd check a MC58 like mentioned above here.

Unfortunately they don't make the McCarty anymore, hence Ebay is your friend!

Steve

I had a LP Classic in copper top natural back with the 500T in the bridge, it wouldn't produce old school classic tones very well but it would produce some wonderful aggressive growling tones that were great for most of the rock I was doing at the time. The copper top was very nice to look at and the hog they used for the back was really nice as well.

I bought it new in 2003 but no longer have it and here is why. I couldn't get it to intonate very well for one and it drove me nuts having to tune it ALL the time. The biggest factor is that a LP doesn't fit me very well and I would struggle to play it. No coil taps. Every so often I would take it to a gig and look forward to playing it but after a couple of songs I would run back to my PRS.

My wife got me a 2000 McCarty as a gift in 2005 and now I have 5 PRS guitars, that's all I play.

When I look at Gibson stuff now, I see a gazillion versions of the LP. I think they are killing the brand.

I still lust for an ES335 but I'll stick to my PRS. I bet the ones I played saturday night are in their cases still in tune!

I would get the PRS. Gibson has been doing downhill a lot lately and i dont like the 2015s AT ALL. they are more expensive and not worth it. Get a PRS that you know will come good to go out of the box.

The SC and MC58s have baseball bats for necks....I have an MC58 so I know. If you prefer a double cut, then the CU22 with the pattern thin neck is probably the way you want to go. You can't really go wrong either way. The 2015 LPs are nice. The main difference will be in the fret size. Gibson has downsized all frets on all models to vintage sized. The PRS will have medium jumbos. (.048 tall)

The SC and MC58s have baseball bats for necks

That may be overstating it a little...the difference between a Pattern and Pattern Thin I believe is only a 16th of an inch in depth, and there's no difference in width.

I've gone back and forth between the PRS neck carves, having more than one at the same time. I have Pattern on the McSC, had a Pattern Thin 408 at the same time, will have Regular on my incoming CU24 30th.

One can definitely feel the difference, even though it's not a very large difference. I don't have trouble alternating but some folks do.

Sorry if I missed it, but are you considering used guitars? Gibson made a ton of guitars over the last few years that should have the slim taper neck and I'm sure there are some available. The price increase for 2015 was harsh but not half as bad as the freakishly wide neck that now comes standard. I would guess some love it but not me. I'd go PRS all day if the choice is between new guitars. Good luck.

That may be overstating it a little...the difference between a Pattern and Pattern Thin I believe is only a 16th of an inch in depth, and there's no difference in width.

I've gone back and forth between the PRS neck carves, having more than one at the same time. I have Pattern on the McSC, had a Pattern Thin 408 at the same time, will have Regular on my incoming CU24 30th.

One can definitely feel the difference, even though it's not a very large difference. I don't have trouble alternating but some folks do.

You can't just compare pure wood dimensions. the MC58s came stock with jumbo frets which does make the neck feel more substantial in girth. And yes, I was probably overstating. A baseball bat of a neck would be the Jackson Phil Collen model. That thing is like trying to grip the barrel of a howitzer.

Last edited:
Well thanks for all the input guy's, and I've weighed all the pro's and con's of both guitars, from features to construction and price, and I've decided to go with the 2015 Gibson Les Paul Standard, it just offers a lot more improvements and innovations to ignore, and it's only $200 more than PRS's Custom 22 which features have not really changed over recent years.

Plus Gibson is in that same unique bubble as Fender where their guitars not only hold their value, but the value goes up as years go by, PRS's drop in value as soon as they leave the store, and continue to decline as years go by.....Heard it from a retail owners mouth myself.

So thanks again for all your advice, i'll share pics of the new setup when it arrives

Last edited:
I am in the same position as you but I am going with the PRS CU22. I waited until 2015 hoping they wouldn't have some sort of anniversary. I just wanted the classic look for an LP but the price increase annoyed me.
It's close to PRS territory. I went shopping… spent more than I wanted and now I want more PRS guitars!

Looking forward to your NGD update :)

Well thanks for all the input guy's, and I've weighed all the pro's and con's of both guitars, from features to construction and price, and I've decided to go with the 2015 Gibson Les Paul Standard, it just offers a lot more improvements and innovations to ignore, and it's only $200 more than PRS's Custom 22 which features have not really changed over recent years.

Plus Gibson is in that same unique bubble as Fender where their guitars not only hold their value, but the value goes up as years go by, PRS's drop in value as soon as they leave the store, and continue to decline as years go by.....Heard it from a retail owners mouth myself.

So thanks again for all your advice, i'll share pics of the new setup when it arrives
You should be able to work yourself a really good deal on the new Gibson's.

Back