2015 5 way blade question

goat-n-gitter

Dismembered
I searched, but didn't see this covered - so here goes.
I absolutely love the sounds from my 30th CU24, but my one wish would be to have the neck pickup alone in single coil mode. I looked at the blade switch schematics, but they don't really show the wiper, and I'm lazy, so...

My ideal would be for position 2 (closest to bridge HB position) to be both pickups split, and position 4 (closest to neck HB) to be neck single only. Can the wiring/jumpers to the blade be modded to accommodate this?

My second choice I guess would be to add a push/pull tone control to split the neck (or both) pickup independently. I can live without the current position 2 combination of bridge HB+neck split.

Anyone tried this?

Tom

I normally respond to posts like this but I haven't ever worked with the PRS 5 way blade. You can probably accomplish what you're looking for with a replacement 5 way superswitch... you can basically wire up anything with one of those. Places like GuitarElectronics.com actually draw up custom wiring schematics, too. Sorry to not really answer your question.

At one point, the PTC offered a mod where they would add a push/pull tone control to add 2 or 3 more settings. I know that neck only single coil and bridge only single coil were both available with this mod. It's probably worth an email to ask. I think the price was reasonable as well. I'll try to see if I can find the old thread.

Your first choice can be achieved pretty simply by making a couple of minor changes to the current switch. Have a look at the schematic here: https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2015/custom_5wayblade.pdf

On the 'ground side' wafer layout on the left at the bottom of the schematic, the second, third and fourth lugs are shown connected to the black bridge pickup conductor, and the fifth to the red bridge pickup conductor. If you remove the red conductor from the fifth lug and solder it to the third lug in place of the black conductor, that'll give you both the changes you're looking for - neck and bridge single coils in position two and neck single coil alone in position four.

On the 'hot side' wafer layout on the right, you don't have to do anything but you can desolder the white bridge pickup conductor from the fifth lug as it's no longer in use.

Your first choice can be achieved pretty simply by making a couple of minor changes to the current switch. Have a look at the schematic here: https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2015/custom_5wayblade.pdf

On the 'ground side' wafer layout on the left at the bottom of the schematic, the second, third and fourth lugs are shown connected to the black bridge pickup conductor, and the fifth to the red bridge pickup conductor. If you remove the red conductor from the fifth lug and solder it to the third lug in place of the black conductor, that'll give you both the changes you're looking for - neck and bridge single coils in position two and neck single coil alone in position four.

On the 'hot side' wafer layout on the right, you don't have to do anything but you can desolder the white bridge pickup conductor from the fifth lug as it's no longer in use.

Thanks ADP!,
This is exactly the setup I was after. I will give it a try!

Tom

Back