2014 ZM SE Neck Maintenance

prs19

I have preordered a spalted maple 2014 ZM SE from Brian's guitars and had a question that I was hoping some of the owners (or others) could help me with. I know the back of the neck has a smooth feel but I'm not sure if it is a satin finish or if it has been 'sanded'. Either way, is there a special way to maintain/clean the neck? Just curious. Thanks!

The necks on the new ZM are "UNFINISHED". That means that it's just bare wood that's been sanded smooth. I personally love the feel of bare wood so much so that I sand finish off all my guitar necks. To clean them I just wipe them down once a week or after sweating a lot during playing one. The oils in your hands will actually treat the wood to protect it, the only problem with that, for some people, is that you get dark stains on the neck after quite some time. I saw an Ibanez Jem with a maple neck that some one used "Simple Green" to clean. I've never had this problem yet. If the neck gets an extremely dry feeling then I use a little 3-in-1 oil or fret board conditioner on a rag. Put it on and wipe all that you can off quickly.

Bottom line is just play it and wipe it down. If you need to use something natural products work the best to clean it.

P.S. This is my SE CU22 that I still need to do some clean up on, but you can get the idea.

20140306_060717.jpg

The ZM model has finish on the neck, but it's a non-sticky, satin finish. You would care for it just as you would any other PRS.

The necks on the new ZM are "UNFINISHED". That means that it's just bare wood that's been sanded smooth. I personally love the feel of bare wood so much so that I sand finish off all my guitar necks. To clean them I just wipe them down once a week or after sweating a lot during playing one. The oils in your hands will actually treat the wood to protect it, the only problem with that, for some people, is that you get dark stains on the neck after quite some time. I saw an Ibanez Jem with a maple neck that some one used "Simple Green" to clean. I've never had this problem yet. If the neck gets an extremely dry feeling then I use a little 3-in-1 oil or fret board conditioner on a rag. Put it on and wipe all that you can off quickly.

Bottom line is just play it and wipe it down. If you need to use something natural products work the best to clean it.

P.S. This is my SE CU22 that I still need to do some clean up on, but you can get the idea.

20140306_060717.jpg

Wow thats extreme, I was thinking of lightly taking some scotch bright to the neck of my SE C24 to remove the gloss and make it less sticky......can this be done with out destroying the colour?

Wow thats extreme, I was thinking of lightly taking some scotch bright to the neck of my SE C24 to remove the gloss and make it less sticky......can this be done with out destroying the colour?

If you just take the clear coat off it'll still have the same effect, just not to the effect that taking all of it off. If you look on the very end of the heel or the headstock you'll see that on my guitar it still has the color just a little duller, that's what it will look like. You could get more of those scratch marks out of it, I'm just not worried about it because I plan on taking that paint off also.

@ Shawn, Sorry, I was under the impression that they were unfinished.

Back