2014 Zach Myers upgrades

Hello Wardog, cool guitar! Before you take off the studs, take a look on the Graphtech site: "Our Resomax Wraparound bridges currently ship with imperial posts and bushings. However a metric option is available upon special request (contact [email protected]).
*Typically North American made instruments are equipped with imperial, and International made instruments are equipped with metric posts and bushings.
Sweet, email sent. Thanks scarso!!! I did check the graphtech site and found nothing. I have to give a serious nod to the folks in Korea making these gems. Those dang post are in there good. They maybe glued in?

LOL, i don't think they are glued! Anyway, i've saw this page on the Graphtech site:
http://www.graphtech.com/products/p...hrome?id=06eef684-d221-4fbb-8fea-0c0f97cb8f29
take a look on the "specs" link...
A stupid idea: it's possible swap only the saddles with Graphtech Ghost piezo saddles, and leave the original bridge from factory?
In this way you should have a really good piezo option without change of radius at bridge and fretboard...

Last edited:
Ok, so once i got time to really look at the studs, they are flush with the body, no lip. My luthier friend had me do an old trick. I got a 3 in bolt from hardware store matching the post (M8-1.25) I placed it in the hole and screwed it down till it came out, every easy.

New discovery. The post hole is 1/4 inch shorter than the studs for the ghost bridge. So it will require some routing to use them, unless I can get metric posts from graphtech. Since I will have to route holes for the pickup leads from the saddles, no issue if it is the option I go with.

Edit; Nice idea, but the slots on the bottom of the stock bridge are not wide enough for the end caps on the piezo leads to pass thru. I would have to drill the bridge--stock bridge is sweet and I will leave it alone. Plus, the stock bridge is not the quality of the graphtech-- more like the light bridge of a prs core guitar, very light compared to the stock bridge.

Last edited:
OK, I am getting one of these, just spoke with my dealer.
Not a fan of the wide/fat neck though, so I may end up giving it to my son since he already has a 2012 SE Semi-Hollow guitar.

Undecided between the Planet Waves Autotrim tuners we have on all of our SEs, or the drop in Grover 406C tuners.
The latter of course require no drilling, but how does the string lock if there is no knob to turn like on my Autotrims and my Phase III tuners on my 408?
You just slip the string through, or do you have to do a fancy wrap first?

OK, I am getting one of these, just spoke with my dealer.
Not a fan of the wide/fat neck though, so I may end up giving it to my son since he already has a 2012 SE Semi-Hollow guitar.

Undecided between the Planet Waves Autotrim tuners we have on all of our SEs, or the drop in Grover 406C tuners.
The latter of course require no drilling, but how does the string lock if there is no knob to turn like on my Autotrims and my Phase III tuners on my 408?
You just slip the string through, or do you have to do a fancy wrap first?
It has vintage tuners on it. the 406c will not work without drilling. get you some kluson locking tuners (vintage style). Should be a drop in. I have some on a epiphone crestwood 62 reissue. Place in hole and turn to tone, pin in tuner goes up and drives into string. Just keep turning to bring string to desired pitch.

Thanks!
Which are the correct ones?
How do these lock, like the Grover 406C?

$53.00

Gotoh Kluson-Type Locking Tuners Nickel (3 per side)

41Mvh4Gy9WL.jpg

$90.00

GOTOH VINTAGE STYLE LOCKING TUNER 3+3 NICKEL

31VMe7HL2uL.jpg

I have the gotoh. there is a pin in the center of the shaft that moved up/down as you turn the tuner button. tuning will move it up into the string locking it to the inside top of the shaft. as you continue to turn and tune to pitch the string wraps around the tuner shaft. very nice. I am still on the fence about this mod, since the bridge is a stop-tail and not a trem. It would make for easier string changes.

Thanks, both of those examples above are Gotoh's though, just a big price difference between the two.

Yeah, the only reason I like lockers is because you do not have to do the fancy wrap around the shaft.
Had to many slip on me as a youth, I prefer the newer tech of it locking it for me.

Are the Gotoh tuners pretty high quality? I assume that they are better than the ones that come standard on models like the Marsden, but maybe they are about the same, just locking versions. I would like to get the Grover's, but I don't want to perform any surgery on a brand new guitar!

I've actually never had a problem with the stock SE tuners, I think the hype about needing locking tuners on SE's is a myth, at least on stoptail models. I think it was started because people didn't realize the nut is the culprit of tuning problems. Granted, I've not tried these vintage type SE tuners, but I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Ok, so once i got time to really look at the studs, they are flush with the body, no lip. My luthier friend had me do an old trick. I got a 3 in bolt from hardware store matching the post (M8-1.25) I placed it in the hole and screwed it down till it came out, every easy.

New discovery. The post hole is 1/4 inch shorter than the studs for the ghost bridge. So it will require some routing to use them, unless I can get metric posts from graphtech. Since I will have to route holes for the pickup leads from the saddles, no issue if it is the option I go with.

Edit; Nice idea, but the slots on the bottom of the stock bridge are not wide enough for the end caps on the piezo leads to pass thru. I would have to drill the bridge--stock bridge is sweet and I will leave it alone. Plus, the stock bridge is not the quality of the graphtech-- more like the light bridge of a prs core guitar, very light compared to the stock bridge.

pics of that naked, ripped open beauty!!!

PD: why is this thread on the General Discussion forum and not in the Electric Instruments one? is because is a SE?

Last edited:
I've actually never had a problem with the stock SE tuners, I think the hype about needing locking tuners on SE's is a myth, at least on stoptail models. I think it was started because people didn't realize the nut is the culprit of tuning problems. Granted, I've not tried these vintage type SE tuners, but I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Yeah, mine have stayed in tune pretty well, so I don't think that they actually NEED replaced or anything. I kind of liken the urge to "upgrade" or expirement with new stuff to the mountain biking world, where no matter what you spend on a new bike, the first thing you do is start replacing things! People will spend hundreds of dollars to save a few grams or install something because it is supposedly "better" than what they have. It is a sickness really.

Hot diggity dog!
I stopped off at my dealer during lunch a bit ago and told him I guess I better give him a down payment to hold the Zach Myers for me.
He is expecting just one for now, and several other SEs.

They stock the Gotoh/Kluson Vintage lockers, and they showed me how they work.
They look just like the stock ones on the ZM guitar, the nice light green color, and that is what I am going with plus my Ernie Ball Cobalts in 9 to 42s.

On my way back to work he called me, and I called back after I parked, and he had some good news.
They just shipped the ZM to him today, so it should land at their place next Friday, and I would be able to pick it up Saturday after they get the tuners installed and do a setup on it.
Yes, my dealer sets up all guitars, even if they have been setup already.
They go the extra mile there.

So if any luck I will have a NGD thread next weekend.

Oh boy, I better order a set of Schaller Strap Locks from Amazon :D
No spares at home...

Hot diggity dog!
I stopped off at my dealer during lunch a bit ago and told him I guess I better give him a down payment to hold the Zach Myers for me.

They look just like the stock ones on the ZM guitar, the nice light green color, and that is what I am going with plus my Ernie Ball Cobalts in 9 to 42s.

On my way back to work he called me, and I called back after I parked, and he had some good news.
They just shipped the ZM to him today, so it should land at their place next Friday, and I would be able to pick it up Saturday after they get the tuners installed and do a setup on it.

No spares at home...

Sweet!!!

Yeah, I am pretty excited.
Have not had a new guitar day since last May when I got my 408.
I was going to get perhaps a US Tremonti, or maybe Artist Package SC250, but I am very impressed with the SEs.
I mainly only play my 408 and the 2012 SE Tremonti Custom now.

You simply cannot go wrong with the SE line, they are fantastic guitars for the price.
I think anyone who owns a Maryland built PRS and has never played an SE should head into their nearest PRS dealer and try out some of them.

Got a few Schaller Strap Locks ordered, and also some more Hercules wall hangers.
Only problem is my custom guitar case cabinet is only built to hold five cases, and the ZM will make my herd grow to seven guitars.
The little Fernandes guitar does not have a case, it stays hanging up on the wall full time.

LOL, i don't think they are glued! Anyway, i've saw this page on the Graphtech site:
http://www.graphtech.com/products/p...hrome?id=06eef684-d221-4fbb-8fea-0c0f97cb8f29
take a look on the "specs" link...
A stupid idea: it's possible swap only the saddles with Graphtech Ghost piezo saddles, and leave the original bridge from factory?
In this way you should have a really good piezo option without change of radius at bridge and fretboard...
The wonderful folks at graph tech are sending me metric post free of charge!!!!!!

The wonderful folks at graph tech are sending me metric post free of charge!!!!!!

Wow! I'm glad to hear this news, if my suggestion was right you could simply screw the new posts in the studs easily... crossed fingers!
CoreyT: if your cabinet is not enough big for the new ZM, you could send me the guitar, i have an empty room! Lol
Nice guitars, congrats!

Hot diggity dog!

No spares at home...
Congrats Corey! I have those Gotoh's on a few guitars and really like them. Good quality.

Back