2014 Zach Myers upgrades

I'd probably go USA nut, locking tuners cause I like the convenience and 5909's. Might consider graphtech piezo.

I'd probably go USA nut, locking tuners cause I like the convenience and 5909's. Might consider graphtech piezo.
i just spec'd the price on graptech parts for a piezo mod and price alone would be close to the price of the guitar. chrome/nickel bridge pickup bridge $250, advanced acousti-phonic kit $150. still cheaper than getting a used core hollowbody.

Maybe i do this mod

graphtech piezo system
ME pickups--coil tapped
locking tuners

Last edited:
i just spec'd the price on graptech parts for a piezo mod and price alone would be close to the price of the guitar. chrome/nickel bridge pickup bridge $250, advanced acousti-phonic kit $150. still cheaper than getting a used core hollowbody.

Maybe i do this mod

graphtech piezo system
ME pickups--coil tapped
locking tuners

I've seen the graphtech parts go on sale fairly often. It seems you can regularly get everything for about 40% off.

That would be a cool addition to this guitar.

This is something I'm seriously considering. I went on graphtech web sits looking at them. Are any of them a direct replacement without any mods?

Thanks,

Chris

I've seen the graphtech parts go on sale fairly often. It seems you can regularly get everything for about 40% off.

+1

I looked at finding an SE and doing this to it a while back. It looks like they sell a wrap-around tailpiece that's compatible, but you're inevitably going to have to mod the guitar, at least as far as I can tell, there needs to at least be a hole somewhere in the top for the piezo wiring to get into the control cavity. Plus a switch and volume control, and battery that will probably need to be soldered in somehow. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a sweet mod and totally worth it! Just can't decide if I want to add so much fluff to an already intensely cool axe!

Just check evil-bay and yes there are some listed with better prices than the graph tech site.

This is something I'm seriously considering. I went on graphtech web sits looking at them. Are any of them a direct replacement without any mods?

Thanks,

Chris
The specs are listed on their site for the wrap around bridge I guess we will need to wait to measure once we get this gem in our hands

The PRS parts store sells the piezo jack plate/battery compartment, which is a very classy wat to deal with that part (although it requires a large hole where the jack is). It's a great option for easy battery access.

I bet it would kick ass with a set of Fralin P-92s. I bet it will kick ass regardless.
It must be fate or something. My wife and I watched a movie Friday night and afterward she said, oh hey I found this video of us on Youtube of After Any Accident (our old band from 1999-2004, which reunited in 2009 for a few shows). All those songs had been written on a Jazzmaster and I needed a noiseless single coil guitar for the reunion, so during the 2009 stint I was playing an Epi Sheraton with P-92 installed. Anyway, I was digging the sound of the semi-hollow with P-92s. I'd had those pickups in at least three other solid body guitars prior to this and always thought the pickups were great but deserving of something a little different. When I heard them in the semi-hollow I knew that was where they belonged.

However, with our current band it's solid body/humbuckers all the way, so the guitar and pickups are sold. Can't help but wonder though, if something like that might have a place in the lineup.

That's the plan, then I will mod first to try out the ME pickups in it.

I have the SE245 pickups in my new Santana SE and they sound very excellent to me. I have a JB bridge in my SE Standard and I like the SE245's better. The JB is definitely nice though and hot; it hits the tube preamp hard and drives the amp into overdrive just by digging into the strings, without turning the gain up on my Marshall.

I need to compare these two bridge pickups and see what I think. They are both right at arms length and I will check this out to see what I think. Maybe the SE245 pushes the preamp just as hard.

Last edited:
Honestly, the SE 245 pickups in my Akesson sounded really nice, and I had no plans to change them, the only reason I did was because I had wanted a set of 57/08's so bad for so long, and I just thought they would sound best in that guitar. They also made it look really spiffy with the scuffed chrome covers. I wouldn't mind just putting covers on the stock pickups when I get my ZM, but it doesn't sound like they're easy to find in the right size, plus I'm a little concerned that if they aren't wax potted inside I could get some vibration problems. I just think the scuffed covers will look really good on that trampas green finish.

Last edited:
I have the SE245 pickups in my new Santana SE and they sound very excellent to me. I have a JB bridge in my SE Standard and I like the SE245's better. The JB is definitely nice though and hot; it hits the tube preamp hard and drives the amp into overdrive just by digging into the strings, without turning the gain up on my Marshall.

I need to compare these two bridge pickups and see what I think. They are both right at arms length and I will check this out to see what I think. Maybe the SE245 pushes the preamp just as hard.

+1
I am really liking the SE245 pickups. I'd expected to change out the PuPs when I got my SE245, but I have been very pleasantly surprised at just how good the stock pickups are. They have the creamy, round and smooth sound that I want out of this style of guitar and they respond really really well to picking dynamics. I find that I can really control the amount of grit and the attack just by digging in or laying off. Great pickups and now I am thinking I may not change them out after all.

Agreed. I took those same SE245's out of my Tremonti to install the USA Tremonti pups, but will certainly find a use for them in something else. If/when I pick up the Zach Meyers, I will absolutely leave it stock (except maybe the nut)--the SE245's sound great to me! In fact, the neck pup is one of the best I've ever heard (very subjective of course, but def like it better than the USA Tremonti neck and it KILLS my Les Paul studio neck pup IMO).

Here's what I'm thinking:
SEZMTG-xlargeblackknobsandpups_zps683fdaab.jpg

Fret12.com has the first I've seen in stock. Neck looks awesome, but I'll be waiting for a lighter more faded top.

Back