2014 Zach Myers upgrades

Chris528

Preordered the 2014 ZM SE and already figuring out what upgrades I want. Ordered a Duncan Distortion zebra set. Replacing the ZM TRC with a regular SE TRC. Also setting it up in Drop C so new nut and strings are definite. Don't care for the clear knobs so replacing them as well. Not sure if I want the black or amber knobs. Any thoight?

Sounds nice...

I will add that the ZM I buy off of CL in a few years will be spray painted white, have three Charlie Christian type pups, and a Bigsby.

Yikes, tough choice... I want to say amber might accent the natural back? But black could look good with the zebra pickups too. Rosewood knobs would be REALLY cool on the trampas green, if you could find ones that fit. I think you might be able to pick them up on eBay. I really want to throw some brushed chrome cover pu's in when I get mine, I think that'll look great. Though the zebras look good too, guess it just depends on how I like the stock tone.

I think amber knobs would look great, and tie into the natural sides and back.

I actually like the clear knobs, but the amber will look great too.

Got to play one at NAMM all but briefly. Guitar is very light compared to say the Bernie Marsden SE. The chambered body gives the guitar a great acoustic quality which I liked alot. Didn't get to plug it in even though an Archon was just sitting there a few feet away. The neck felt great with the natural finish. Overall If I didn't know better I would've assumed it was a US made model and not a Korean import. Fit, finish and fretwork were all top notch. Best SE I've seen and played. I think brush chrome pickups would look amazing on this guitar. SC245 pups if you can still get them. Wondering if super hot pups might be problematic due to the semi hollow nature of the guitar. Time will tell.

I plan to put in a set of ME pickups I scored on eBay. I love locking tuners on every guitar, so I have an eye on a few sets off vintage style on eBay as well. I have amber knobs waiting in case I like them more than clear knobs, after the mods. The only thing I am on the fence with is the bridge. Do I get a Schroeder bridge with brass inserts notched for a 10 radius like I did for my SC SE? It will go great with the hybrid ME pickups. But not sure how it will work on the tone of a semi-hollow. Anyone with a core line with brass bridge saddles on a semi or hollow body care to comment.

Great to read a first hand impression on the ZM. Thanks

I love the actual look of the guitar. I also preorder one thanks to Chris info. If I make any mods it would be after playing the guitar in the specs I think could be improved.

I wonder how it would sound with a set of 53/10 pickups in it. I just happen to have a set of these pickups waiting for the right project guitar for them.

Everyone knows that clear knobs let the tone come through unfiltered.
Perhaps the pickups that come with it sound good. Just a thought…

I wonder how it would sound with a set of 53/10 pickups in it. I just happen to have a set of these pickups waiting for the right project guitar for them.

I too would like to know... I think about that every time I see a set pop up. I think 57/08's would sound great too, but the thought of it makes me guilty, since I already have a guitar with them. But it could add a different dimension with the semi hollow body. Either way, the brushed covers would look killer against the subdued color of the trampas green!

Everyone knows that clear knobs let the tone come through unfiltered.
Perhaps the pickups that come with it sound good. Just a thought…

Of course! I kind of like the clear knobs on this one. I'm sure the stock pickups will sound good too, I've played them before and they're really nice, but the 53/10's and 57/08's are just SOOOOO good.

mmm now you guys got me gasing for putting that brushed covers to the pu.... any brand would fit? how do you put those? I´ve never do it

Could you post a link to where you "pre-bought" this guitar? I haven't seen ANYWHERE listing them for sale yet. Thanks.

Could you post a link to where you "pre-bought" this guitar? I haven't seen ANYWHERE listing them for sale yet. Thanks.

You need to chat with a dealer. If you don't have a local pusher, there are some great dealers that participate here.

Back