2014 Winter Olympic Opening Ceremony Comments

watelessness

I thought the visuals were outstanding. The music, however, was horrible, stress-inducing, and pretty for much caused me to hit the mute button. Overall, had to fast forward because it didn't seem "fun".

Missed the opening... Heard a ring failed to open... May have left Putin with mixed feelings!

It's on during the day here so I'm missing much of it, though I did see some of the figure skating. No idea why I like that, but I do!

Just waiting for the bobsleigh and skeleton events. Doesn't capture my attention as much as the summer games though.

Had to fight a lot of glitching on DirecTV (I suspect it was my DVR), and for the most part I enjoyed it. NBC still hasn't figured out how to either shut the hell up or provide useful information. There was one part where they actually said to Google who the person was. When the Olympic flag came in, it looked like they only identified Slava Fetisov (former Red Army/Devils/Red Wings defenseman). No idea who the other five were. Even worse, when they revealed that Vladislav Tretiak was one of the people lighting the flame, they really only mentioned the 1980 Miracle On Ice game - nothing about what an all-time great he is, and that he's the first non-North American player elected to the Hockey Hall Of Fame. Several times, it came across like they were being kind of dismissive about Russian history, which is a shame - it was a rare opportunity to be both entertaining and educational, and they didn't deliver. They did a much more respectful job with the London games.

Back