2014 PRS SE Marty Friedman pickups?

Max Headroom

The jacka$$ formerly known as AceRimmer
Probably best to start a new thread for this question than have it buried in one of my other threads.
So just received the new to me 2014 Marty Friedman yesterday and while i like the feel and weight the sound is definitely a bit meh!
Now seller stated that the neck pup was original PRS but the bridge was a "Gibson humbucker" with no further information.
This model was only made for 2 years and all I have seen so far is that original pups were PRS T & B.
What did it have from new and do you think I should search for the matching bridge or do you have suggestions for a complete different pair?
Thank you!

Well...no takers...lol.
So lets ask another question.
While looking at this axe a little more I saw that I could probably drive a bus between the strings and the pickups so that might explain a lot but then also raises more questions.
Gap between strings and pups seems to be all over the place for suggestions with a lot of varied information out there.
What does the PRS forum experts recommend?

Didn’t those come with “tone furnace” pickups?

I dunno.. never tried ‘em. I’d assume your money would be well spent on whatever pickups you’re into rather than hunting done some SE pups.

Didn’t those come with “tone furnace” pickups?

I dunno.. never tried ‘em. I’d assume your money would be well spent on whatever pickups you’re into rather than hunting done some SE pups.
I have no idea what they came with originally, hard to find any decent info on them and none for sale right now on eBay or Reverb.
However after having raised the bridge "Gibson?" pickup to something a little more serviceable (should have checked that at the beginning..doh!) it has a fair bit more bite and right now at least will do.
But yes I think it might not be a bad idea to change both out to something better.

The Price list shows “SE Humbucking pickups”
This is for the wayback machine

vIdlmZV.png

Has anyone here tried the SD P Rails or Hot Rails?
I was toying with the idea of a Rail in the neck and a Hot Rail at the bridge.

Has anyone here tried the SD P Rails or Hot Rails?
I was toying with the idea of a Rail in the neck and a Hot Rail at the bridge.

I had a set in an old Mira X, they were actually pretty cool.

Krne5gO.jpg

I had a set in an old Mira X, they were actually pretty cool.

Krne5gO.jpg
It's going to be them or a used set of Dragon 2's.
58/07 are kind of priced out of the budget for this axe costing way more than I paid for the bloody guitar itself!

Probably best to start a new thread for this question than have it buried in one of my other threads.
So just received the new to me 2014 Marty Friedman yesterday and while i like the feel and weight the sound is definitely a bit meh!
Now seller stated that the neck pup was original PRS but the bridge was a "Gibson humbucker" with no further information.
This model was only made for 2 years and all I have seen so far is that original pups were PRS T & B.
What did it have from new and do you think I should search for the matching bridge or do you have suggestions for a complete different pair?
Thank you!

Ithe Marty had 2 different sets of pickups 2014 were T&B and 2015 had the pickups called "Tone Furnace". They featured a low output neck pickup 7k with a 14k bridge unit, both puckups were 4 wire so could be split. They also featured in the SE custom 22

I used to own a Marty Friedman with th "TF" pickups, I swapped them for more PAF style. I only wanted the guitar for the star inlays.

check out this thread more info

My original "TF" pickups should be landing with their new owner @Louguitar sometime in the next few days.

Last edited:
Ithe Marty had 2 different sets of pickups 2014 were T&B and 2015 had the pickups called "Tone Furnace". They featured a low output neck pickup 7k with a 14k bridge unit, both puckups were 4 wire so could be split. They also featured in the SE custom 22

I used to own a Marty Friedman with th "TF" pickups, I swapped them for more PAF style. I only wanted the guitar for the star inlays.

check out this thread more info

My original "TF" pickups should be landing with their new owner @Louguitar sometime in the next few days.

As it only has one PRS pup left in it , with a chrome cover and the "Gibson" bridge pup in black it looks like sh!t right now so something needs to be done..lol.

I did find a pair of 85/15S on fleabay at a fair price so thinking on those too.

Back