2014 PRS Custom 24 Floyd Core Series Routing

michMike

I recently purchased a 2014 custom24 Floyd (core series) on the used market (not sure on rules if I can say how). The guitar has all original paperwork, has a serial number that appears to match one built to exact specs and by all account, I believe is a true custom24. I was going to do some small "upgrades" while doing some paint touchup and rebuffing and noticed that the back routed area under the springs and the trem claw was "tiered" and not one level flat surface. I also noticed a single hole in the center of the lower tier which I assumed was from machining but now I am questioning authenticity. If I want to install a drop d tuna and a trem stablilizer, I will need to put a wood shim in the lower "tier" to create a level surface for the stabilizer. Does anyone else have a 2014 floyd? Is the trem cavity tiered? I can take pictures to show in case of questions. Just want to make sure this wasn't a sign of a fake. Still paid quite an amount for this and want to keep it in my collection. Just like to install the drop d tuna and stabilizer and switch out to silent springs. Want to insure I didn't make an expensive mistake. Thanks

Found a forum posting regarding "blocking a prs tremolo". In that posting, there is a pic of a Custom 22 showing the trem cavity with a step down or tier. Further down the posting is a pic from a CU and the trem cavity is flat. I guess I will simply put a spacer below the stabilizer. Just like to confirm to anyone that has a core custom 24 floyd from around the 2014 timeframe, that the trem cavity is tiered, and not a flat surface. Here is the link to the forum post from back in 2018 with the embedded pictures.

Must say, confused by response. The thread started with a member showing front and back of a custom 22. Later in the thread others posted pics too. Not sure which guitar/pic the last referred to. DIdnt want to copy pics but this is the start of the thread and the cavity is similar to mine except different color and larger floyd block. Image from start of PRS thread above

Must say, confused by response. The thread started with a member showing front and back of a custom 22. Later in the thread others posted pics too. Not sure which guitar/pic the last referred to. DIdnt want to copy pics but this is the start of the thread and the cavity is similar to mine except different color and larger floyd block. Image from start of PRS thread above
Post number 11 isn't a PRS as far as I can tell. I might be wrong though.

OK.. So after a little fun, it seems a tiered trem routing is normal. I will either add a little thick "Washer" under each screw in the lower section or take out my chisels and craft a nice complete level surface and fill with a wood layer, paint black and poly to make as seemless as possible. Glad you all had some fun. Guitar is currently getting some StewMac love with black colored superglue prior to blade scraping, sanding and buffing on the chips in the back. Trem area and "upgrades" are next. Thanks

Hey Mike, sorry to de-rail your thread. We tend to make our own amusement, no offence intended.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you get it all sorted.

Congratulations on your new guitar and we’d love to see some pics when it’s ready.

Best of luck.

Back