2013 SE cu 24 tuning problem?

Hunterfz6

Hi all. I recently aquired above named guitar a week ago. The guy I got it from said he used 9.5 guage strings. I was having to retune a lot, until I read up and found out these are set up and strung with 9s. Last night I removed the 9.5s, cleaned the fretboard and polished the frets. I then set about putting on a fresh set of 9-42 d'addario EXP strings. One note on removing the old strings, the ball ends were stuck inside the bridge and I nearly panicked. I used a eye glass screw driver to loosen the ball up then they came right out. After stretching the strings and retuning a few times, I played some open chord progressions, turned on my metronome and spend a good half hour on major, minor, and chromatic scales. I did not need to retune. I noticed when I removed the 9.5s, the G string was stuck in the slot pretty good. Short of the long here, if your buying a SE guitar, as long as you use the same string size as it left the factory and you are happy with 9s there is no functional reason to change the Nutt. Happy holidays all.

Hi there, I had tuning issues with my SE CU 24 initially, however after a proper set up including having the nut cut correctly tuning stability is spot on, even with regular trem use.

To add, I started using D'addario NYXL's (10's) and tuning stability is even better, re the strings sticking in the bridge this happens to me but I would say its nothing to worry about.

Going forward I am planning to have a tusq nut fitted and maybe some locking tuners but they are not really essential.

hope that helps.

J :)

You can have the nut sized for 10's by a good tech. SE leave the factory with nut cut for 9's and use of gauges outside of that will cause tuning and intonation issues. hence the g string being stuck in the nut slot.

I'm happy with 9s so I'll leave her alone. I am thinking about graph tech saddles though.

I've had the ball ends of the strings stick in the block when removing too. When I remove my strings I usually loosen them up and cut them in half, half way down the fretboard and remove the two pieces. I usually remove the bass "E" string first and I have found that using a cut end of the bass "E" string works very well to push thru the bridge string hole, down into the block to loosen a sticking ball end.

Back