2013 SC245 - Considering some mods - advice needed!

intothevoid

Hey guys,

So I have a beautiful 2013 SC245 in Charcoal Burst - great guitar and very versatile, but there's a few things that I feel it could benefit from and suit my playing and style even further.

1. The Pattern Neck while comfortable, still feels a little chunky to my small hands. Also i'm used to a slim 60s style Les Paul neck. Could this be shaved down to a Pattern Thin profile without a drastic effect in the fat, mid heavy tone of the guitar? I assume a lot of that tone has to do with the phenomenal 57/08 pickups, but of course the thickness of the neck will surely have some impact on the sound.

2. Getting coil split/tapping electronics installed as push/pull on the tone knobs.

3. Replacing the frets with DGT jumbo frets, as I find those easier to play.

Apart from that I'd probably go for a rosewood neck treatment, some cosmetic touch up (small chip on the headstock) and a fresh setup.
Really need some advice on the neck carve though - the other things I feel won't present any issues!

Thanks in advance.

I just had an SC245 into the PTC for a refret with DGT frets. Odd that when I got it back they are smaller than I remember DGT frets to be to the point I even emailed to them asking to confirm they used the DGT wire and not the stock wire. I expected jumbo frets and they feel like standard wire. They insisted they did, but it feels exactly the same as my other guitars to me. Even appear to be the exact same frets on my SCHollowbody II and on my Modern Eagle 1.

Fret size aside side they do an impeccable job on the refret but be sure what you ask for and are getting.

Interesting - thanks for that! Makes me a little nervous now! My DC3 i'm pretty sure has the DGT frets, and they are noticeable larger and easier to bend on.

i'm in the exact same position, literally same guitar. same everything. I am thinking about going for pattern thin. I don't think it is going to take away to much of the chunkyness. Think about it, these single cuts get alot of that tone from having so much wood on the body, obviously yes the neck does make a huge difference, but its not like they are taking off a ton of that rosewood by making it pattern thin.
Just my thoughts.
Please let me know if you decide to send yours in i would love to know how much of a difference there really is, that is just my educated guess.

Back