2013 Santana SE quilted sunburst bridge help????

AICD99

I purchased a beautiful quilted sunburst santana SE just before christmas that was hanging in the Guitar Center Vintage vault. I am sure that it was a display or leftover model not previously sold. I have never owned a PRS or really played around with one much but took a chance on this model as it is unique and a plce to start. It seems to me that the bridge, which is the PRS tremolo, is very tight. It even creaks when using it. I opened the back and removed 1 spring, so now there are 3 evenly spaced. I then set up the guitar again but it still seems very stiff as compared to my Strat. or Kramer. I looked through the PRS support and decided not to attempt any adjustment to the 6 point screws but did apply a small amount of lube to each. This helped some but it still is quit ridged and as I mentioned makes a creaking sound.

Can anyone help or suggest what to do next before I spend $60 to have it looked at?:mad::wave:

3 springs should be good, try loosening the 2 screws that hold the spring claw. That will release some tension, but make sure the back of the trem stays flat on the body.

The tremolo is parallel to the body, floating. I adjusted the claws after removing the 4th spring. UGH! Man its tight!

This may be a stupid question, but have you checked the six screws that hold the front edge of the bridge to the body? I don't know about PRS SE's, but a lot of Far East-made guitars with Strat-type trems ship with those screwed all the way down, rendering the trem inoperable. A good rule of thumb is to raise the outside screws just enough for the bridge to rock, and raise the middle four up a bit higher so the bridge doesn't bind, and pivots on the two outside screws only. The base of the bridge should be parallel with the guitar top, but you'll use your springs and the claw adjustment to set that.

Something is obviously wrong. The PRS trem, adjusted corretly, is butter. A different league than a Strat. I don't know about Kramer.

Be careful. A $60 professional fix may be better than a free ill-adjusted or damaged guitar.

Santana with a back plate?

Well I took it in on Tuesday to my local shop. He thought the springs could be rubbing across the body but it turned out to not be the case. He could not find a cause other than the metal of the bridge grinding the 6 screws. I wonder if usa PRS use the same bridge? If not, would a USA PRS fit?
Anyway he is setting it up with 10-46 for me and working the nut to accomidate them. He also is doing some other nut work.

Back