2012 Swamp ash studio metal foil

Igotsoul4u

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php...rs_2012_swamp_ash_studio_multi_foil_limited_r

I have a lead on one of these guitars. I don’t know much about the swamp ash studios. Are they the low end of the PRS range? Also, are the finishes that unique. It says there are only 40. I love my McCarty Korina that has a wide fat neck. This sas also has a wide fat neck which I dig. Just trying to figure out if it’s a decent investment. I paid $1700 for my korina and feel like that was a good price. Any ball park figures for what this one would cost new? Are 10 tops better investments?

The swamp ash studio is a more strat type guitar. Very nice, not low end. I've been shopping for one. They come with either paint, foil or maple caps. Slightly different from the swamp ash special.

Hi,

They arent low end and yeah those multi-foil colors were unique to that PRS Experience year. There were probably 8 or so made in every color and 40 total.

Are you sure its a wide fat neck?

I paid about $1750 for a used one in like new condition. Sold it because I didnt like the 57/08 in bridge overshadowing the narrowfields.

Do you like the 57/08 pup?

I might have mixed up the wide fat neck with another PRS I was checking out. I have limited experience with the pickups other then playing with a guy who has one. Usually I dig his guitar sound. I am basically looking to compliment my McCarty korina which has the mcarty pickups. I also really like maple necks so that appeals to me as well. Did you find the narrowfields to have a noticeable volume change from the bridge humbucker?

I might have mixed up the wide fat neck with another PRS I was checking out. I have limited experience with the pickups other then playing with a guy who has one. Usually I dig his guitar sound. I am basically looking to compliment my McCarty korina which has the mcarty pickups. I also really like maple necks so that appeals to me as well. Did you find the narrowfields to have a noticeable volume change from the bridge humbucker?

If I recall correctly, there wasnt a major volume change between the NF and the 57/08 but the 57/08 was more powerful. One thing that influenced my decision to sell it was that I also had a SAS NF (with 3 NFs instead of 2 NFs and a 57/08). I love the in between sounds on the SAS NF so I was looking for that in the Studio but couldnt find it. With the Studio, I mainly played the 57/08 in the bridge but I just flat out prefered the SAS NF.

I also have a Korina McCarty and for some reason, I found it to have a similar boominess / fullness as my Swamp Ash multifoil studio. I did put a set of 57/08s in one of my Korina McCartys and I found them to have more character than the McCarty pups in that model. I would have kept the multifoil studio for the uniqueness of the multi-foil model (to hold and sell later due to the scarceness of them) but I like for my guitars to sound different from each other so I chose to get a different guitar that was more 'stratty' with good single coils to be different from the McCarty. I ended up with a DC3 (maple neck), a 408, and a Custom 24 (maple neck). Each of those are tonally very different from my McCartys.

Is there any way for you to get your ear on a 57/08 pickup?

Yeah, I'd verify the neck on the multifoil studio. I'm pretty sure mine had a Pattern Regular, but maybe there were different neck options to choose from in 2012.

By complement, do you mean you want similar tonality, or do you want something that has its own sound and fills the gaps that the McCarty leaves?

If the latter, a swamp ash guitar will definitely have tonality that a mahogany would not. I am personally a huge fan of ash, and half my guitars are ash or alder. I think the PRS pickups would work well with ash, but have not had the chance to try that combination.

I want a swamp ash bod maple neck studio.

As to price, we aren't really supposed to discuss that here, but considering it's out of print and they don't have anything else in the lineup even close, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That said, price is largely a function of condition and how stock it is, so couldn't tell you. Purple ones should be cheaper. And if it is purple, I will likely take it off your hands if you don't want it. ;)

Last edited:
I want a swamp ash maple necked studio.

As to price, we aren't really supposed to discuss that here, but considering it's out of print and they don't have anything else in the lineup even close, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That said, price is largely a function of condition and how stock it is, so couldn't tell you. Purple ones should be cheaper. And if it is purple, I will likely take it off your hands if you don't want it. ;)
☔☔

Sorry about the price talk. Didn't realize. Thanks for all the info. I am mulling it over and obsessing as usual. I like it when guitars have a bit of exclusivity to them even though it doesn't mean much playing wise. Here's to bad financial decisions!

Back