2012 PRS Studio Wiring Mod

gaustin

I have a 2012 PRS Studio and would like to change the coil tapping switch to instead activate the neck pickup when pulled up. Can anyone offer any guidance on that?

Howdy. This is a common Strat mod, and should be easy on the PRS as well.

Run a wire from the neck hot lug of the blade to the push/pull as shown below. The PRS switch may look different, but regardless, you run the second wire from the middle lug of the push/pull to a common/output lug on the switch.

What you're doing is creating a connection from the neck pickup directly to the output of the switch. When the push/pull is down, this connection is broken, but when it is up, the neck pickup is connected in every position so you get:

Neck
Neck/Middle
Neck/Middle
Neck/Middle/Bridge
Neck/Bridge

I've done this on my Strats for a long time. Only difference is I like to make the bridge pickup always on instead of the neck, so the switching goes like:

Neck/Bridge
Neck/Middle/Bridge
Middle/Bridge
Middle/Bridge
Bridge

Either way works fine, it just depends on how you would prefer it.

Sep13_PG_FEAT_Power-Play-4-Mods_7-sound_WEB.jpg

http://www.premierguitar.com/articl...-for-your-strat-tele-les-paul-and-super-strat

Last edited:
Thanks. That's simpler than I expected.

Do I need to modify the wiring at all on that pot so that the coil split on the bridge pickup no longer activates?

I have a strat with a Sigler 920D kit in it. I think the "coil wires" are just taped to each other instead of hooked to the push/pull pot.

Both the always-on mod and the coil split each use just one side of the push/pull switch, so both effects could work in tandem. Therefore, if you leave the coil split, and do the above wiring on the other set of lugs on the push/pull, you'd get the same positions, but with the bridge split. That would actually be pretty cool with the bridge always on. You'd have 9 different sounds.

Push/Pull Down:
Neck
Neck/Middle
Middle
Middle/Bridge HB
Bridge HB

Push/Pull Up:
Neck/Bridge SC
Neck/Middle/Bridge SC
Middle/Bridge SC
Middle/Bridge SC
Bridge SC

Hey guys im trying to mod my studio also but a little different. I want to make the middle position on the selector switch be bridge and neck insted of just the middle pickup. Can anyone explain how i might go about this?

Back