2012 Inlay Material

ElrytNamrogo

My name be scrambled
Was looking at my 2012 Custom 24 last night and wondered what the inlay material was. Anybody know what was being used back then?

msYsdue.jpg

936coFL.jpg
V795e4Z.jpg

Yes! Affectionately known as "dirty birds."

I don't know what they're made of, but I kind of like them with the right corresponding guitar-body color--they have a cool bronze/copper sheen to them, rather elegant.

I agree 100%. They look great with my Cu24 faded blue burst with gold hardware. I wouldn't want any other birds. They work perfect with the finish undertones and hardware.

Screenshot_20211021-133018_Gallery03ae3f945fb54ab2.jpg

OP- I have also always wondered what material there are?

Last edited:
I agree 100%. They look great with my Cu24 faded blue burst with hybrid hardware. I wouldn't want any other birds. They work perfect with the finish undertones and hardware.

Screenshot_20211021-133018_Gallery03ae3f945fb54ab2.jpg

OP- I have also always wondered what material there are?

Beautiful guitar! And I agree, those birds look great with that one! I really like them too, feel like they stand out well on the fretboard....and whatever that bronze-y material is, I like the look of it.

They look great with the Burnt Maple Leaf finish, as well....
TUI36tw.jpg

I wonder how many years they used them....what year is yours?

Just joined the dirty bird club this week and they look awesome with, appropriately for dirt, earth tones like this Santana Yellow from 2011.

They're also shiny/reflective at specific angles so they could have some bronze colored metal in them, that "cool bronze/copper sheen to them" that @Going Modal referred to.

Screenshot-2023-05-19-at-8-11-28-AM.png

BPD38354.jpg
BPD38353.jpg

Last edited:
The dirty birds are honestly my second least favorite version of the birds. I dislike the brushstroke birds more than the dirty birds but these are definitely the two lowest ranking sets for me. I don't have any guitars with the brushstroke birds but I do have two or three with the dirty birds. I would change them if I could.

As I understood it, the birds were Corian outlines with Mother of Pearl filler.

I like them, had several with that inlay. I thought the brushstroke birds were very cool, too.

I have a McCarty Singleuct with Mammoth Ivory inlays. I like them for the 'Oh gee, 10,000+ year old stuff' factor, but they're really no more interesting to look at than Corian. They're just cream colored material. I still love the guitar.

Everyone's got an opinion on this stuff, but it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Much like how I whine about the current CE24 having plastic birds.
Fenders used to have clay dots. They just drilled holes and glommed the clay dots right in. I think the only cheaper material Leo could've used would have been boogers. He wouldn't even spring for plastic.

Clay is just dirt, so..dirt dots! Now Fenders use Micarta dots on most of their not-cheap Custom Shop instruments, and plain ole plastic on the standard fare.

"What's Micarta, Les?"

"A plastic mixed with fabric. So yeah, plastic. Oh wait, you want the old-school clay dots now? You can get them if you order a Custom Made instrument. You pay extra-extra to get the dirt!"

"Well, what does Gibson use on Les Pauls?"

"Cellulose Nitrate, i.e., plastic, same stuff that celluloid picks are made of, but only on some models to be 1950s-correct. Historics, etc. The rest are just acrylic plastic."

"Even on their expensive USA Les Pauls?"

"You betcha, except maybe the most custom ones similar to Private Stock. You'd have to ask 11Top."

People complain about plastic inlays on a non-Core PRS...?? We're so spoiled.

Last edited:
Wow, some fantastic information in here! Thank you everyone for your input (and pictures)!

Since we’re kinda talking about favorites (or least-favorites) I guess I’ll chime in, too.

Honestly, I like them all…even the plastics. Some of my favorites though have been some of the signature inlays dealers have done. Jack Gretz of Northeast Music Center has an excellent design for his Wood Library guitars with Green Ripple Abalone and Paua. Also, I REALLY love what Brian’s Guitars does on theirs, Sparkle Mother of Pearl Centers and Paua outlines…absolutely classy stuff.

I’ve really liked a lot of the resins being done, too, along with the stained maple birds on Private Stocks.

I suppose if I had a “least favorite” it’d be “hollow birds” but only because I feel the disappear into the fretboard sometimes. However, that can work for some folks who might want that type of “understated, stealth” look to their inlays.

Beautiful guitar! And I agree, those birds look great with that one! I really like them too, feel like they stand out well on the fretboard....and whatever that bronze-y material is, I like the look of it.

TUI36tw.jpg

Smokin! They look killer with your hot guitar.

TUI36tw.jpg

That's a great finish!

I suppose if I had a “least favorite” it’d be “hollow birds” but only because I feel the disappear into the fretboard sometimes. However, that can work for some folks who might want that type of “understated, stealth” look to their inlays.
I ordered the hollow birds on my Private Stock acoustic. Even with their relative subtlety, the guitar's bling is almost too much.

3mVz6f7.jpg

I ordered the hollow birds on my Private Stock acoustic. Even with their relative subtlety, the guitar's bling is almost too much.

3mVz6f7.jpg
Les, those hollow birds look PERFECT on that guitar. They perfectly mimic the corresponding outline of the inlay material on the body itself. Yes, the guitar is "blingy," but it's a balanced amount of bling overall. Two thumbs up!

Les, those hollow birds look PERFECT on that guitar. They perfectly mimic the corresponding outline of the inlay material on the body itself. Yes, the guitar is "blingy," but it's a balanced amount of bling overall. Two thumbs up!
Thanks! The guitar is an absolute cannon! It sounds wonderful in the room, and records like a champ.

Oddly enough, the purfling was standard on the PS version, but I think there was the option to delete it, which I didn't think I should do in case I wanted to sell the guitar down the road. But it's nearly ten years later, so I doubt that'll happen!

This one has the piezo option they offered at the time. That and the wood selections were the only optional items I picked. As with most piezos, I tried it, figured I'd never use it, took the batteries out and never reinstalled them.

Last edited:
Back