2011 Ted McCarty SC245 questions

guitarjb44

Hello all.

I recently acquired a used 2011 Ted McCarty SC245. It has the “Santana” headstock with maple overlay, 57/08 engraved pickups, moon inlays, and each tone knob has a push/pull coil tap.

I thought the “Ted” SC245 model was a limited run in 2009-2010, and it did NOT have the coil tap option. Was the my guitar not one of the limited run with nitro finish? There’s no hang tag in the case to indicate any further details. The finish doesn’t seem like nitro to me- but again, I thought all the “Ted” guitars (with Santana headstock) were nitro.

It plays and sounds beautifully, and is in almost new condition (only a few minor “dings”). I received it in a trade deal, and I might have to wind up selling it soon anyway- but I’d still like to find out more about this guitar. I’ve searched all over Google and haven’t seen another quite live it; all the others I have seen have Bird inlays.

Do any of you have any more info. about this guitar? Below is the only photo I currently have.

Thank you in advance.

PRS Ted McCarty SC245 by Guitarjb, on Flickr

Joe

Last edited:
I’ve never seen one with moons either. I know the Ted DC has a split/tap. Well.. mine does but it’s from 2015 so idk if it’s different. I doubt it.

I’ll eagerly await pics.

Wow that's really a first. What does it say on the back of the headstock? more pics please! haha

Based on your earlier description, I was worried you had a fake. I've seen a lot of Teds but never one with dots.

This thing looks very legit. Everything looks right. Really wondering how yours got dots and what year it is.

I’ll have to wait until tomorrow or Tuesday get more photos.

It is definitely a 2011 serial
number, and it is also designated a “10 Top” in the back of the headstock.

-Joe

Based on your earlier description, I was worried you had a fake. I've seen a lot of Teds but never one with dots.

This thing looks very legit. Everything looks right. Really wondering how yours got dots and what year it is.

It’s definitely the “real” thing and it plays and sounds killer- love the 57/08 pickups and the fact that they can be coil tapped.

-Joe

It’s definitely the “real” thing and it plays and sounds killer- love the 57/08 pickups and the fact that they can be coil tapped.

-Joe

Yeah I agree. Looks great. Definitely the only one I've seen with dots. That's pretty cool.

I've seen 2009-2013 and 2015(only DC's from 2015). I've not seen any Teds from 2014 but I bet they're out there.

Yeah I agree. Looks great. Definitely the only one I've seen with dots. That's pretty cool.

I've seen 2009-2013 and 2015(only DC's from 2015). I've not seen any Teds from 2014 but I bet they're out there.

I thought the "Ted" SC and DC guitars were a limited run? I guess not??

Joe

I thought the "Ted" SC and DC guitars were a limited run? I guess not??

Joe

I think it was still considered a limited run/release. They didn’t make a ton. I could only find any info about 1 single other Ted from 2015, other than mine. Not many were made in 2012/2013 either. I think it was mostly “wood library” runs at that time.

Does anyone know if all the "Ted" model McCarty guitars are nitro finished, or was it just in 2009-2010?

There were a handful of Wood Library runs that dealers did. These would usually be about 10 pieces at a time. I think Wilcutt did amWL run in 2015. Those were V12 finishes, not nitro. I believe only the original release was nitro. As for the splits, that could be indicative of a WL run as dealer would spec them a little differently.

There were a handful of Wood Library runs that dealers did. These would usually be about 10 pieces at a time. I think Wilcutt did amWL run in 2015. Those were V12 finishes, not nitro. I believe only the original release was nitro. As for the splits, that could be indicative of a WL run as dealer would spec them a little differently.

I don't think Wilcutt did any in 2015. I may be mistaken but I think their WL runs didn't go past 2014.

Mine has a nitro top coat from 2015. Shawn didn't really specify to me if it has a different undercoat though.

I don't think Wilcutt did any in 2015. I may be mistaken but I think their WL runs didn't go past 2014.

Mine has a nitro top coat from 2015. Shawn didn't really specify to me if it has a different undercoat though.

Yeah, I think you're right about the year. Not sure why I was thinking '15

More details...

I emailed PRS and received the following from Sean Littleton:

Your SC245 TM featured a wide fat carve one piece mahogany set neck with a Indian rosewood fretboard and moon inlays. A Figured maple 10 top. A Santana style headstock and vintage tuners. A solid mahogany body with a stoptail bridge and nickel hardware. 57/08 humbuckers with a 3 way toggle switch. Finished is Sunset Burst using our V12 finish.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Littleton
Paul Reed Smith Guitars, Ltd.
Customer and Technical Support
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, Md. 21666-2166
(410)643-9970

More details...

I emailed PRS and received the following from Sean Littleton:

Your SC245 TM featured a wide fat carve one piece mahogany set neck with a Indian rosewood fretboard and moon inlays. A Figured maple 10 top. A Santana style headstock and vintage tuners. A solid mahogany body with a stoptail bridge and nickel hardware. 57/08 humbuckers with a 3 way toggle switch. Finished is Sunset Burst using our V12 finish.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Littleton
Paul Reed Smith Guitars, Ltd.
Customer and Technical Support
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, Md. 21666-2166
(410)643-9970

I still really want to know more about the dots. It boggles my mind. Decisions like that make PRS very unique. I love it.

Back