2008 Sc245 neck pickup

Wiebuschk

Man it's too dark for me. It is the 245 pickup. I like the bridge pickup just fine. I have it set almost level with the ring. Have any of you tried a magnet swap? Any idea what magnet is in it? I am not a high gain player. Just after a good crisp Duane Allman tone.

I have a pair of 245’s in a Santana SE… And I have a tone similar to Duane’s :)…..You could raise the polepieces on the neck pickup a lot and lower the pickup some and it will be clearer sounding with more treble.
. One thing I’ve noticed with PRS pickups (and they’re in all my guitars including Les Pauls) is that you can really change the tone easily by raising or lowering the pickup screws and/or pickups……
You could always set your amp a bit brighter to where you like it’s sound on the neck pickup, then turn your tone control down a bit on your bridge pickup if it’s a little bright. Dickey Betts sets his amp up this way

Last edited:
Thanks Rod. I lowered the pup to be level with the ring and raised the pole pieces a couple of turns. That helped. It it a bit more open and clear now. It was mud before. I will try it like this for a while. I guess prs pickup recipes are a secret.

Thanks Rod. I lowered the pup to be level with the ring and raised the pole pieces a couple of turns. That helped. It it a bit more open and clear now. It was mud before. I will try it like this for a while. I guess prs pickup recipes are a secret.
Happy to help. You could raise them another full 360 degree turn, might even sound better…

Last edited:
Yes, Paul and the gang keep their pickup research close to the vest you might say. And frankly, I don’t blame them. So many pickup and pedal copiers these days ripping off original ideas. Look at what happened to Bill Finnegan who invented the Klon pedal and AnalogMike who came up with the King of Tone… Everyone’s copying them….

With the neck pickup in my 22 fret PRS that I found dark, I raised pole pieces for the high E, B, G and D strings but actually ended up sinking the pole pieces for the low E and A strings into the pickup about a 1/16" ish and raising that end of the pickup back up towards the strings. Still maintaining roughly the same distance to the bottom of the string for each adjustable pole piece. More distance on the bass side, less on treble. It worked well for me.

If this is not allowed, just delete.

With the neck pickup in my 22 fret PRS that I found dark, I raised pole pieces for the high E, B, G and D strings but actually ended up sinking the pole pieces for the low E and A strings into the pickup about a 1/16" ish and raising that end of the pickup back up towards the strings. Still maintaining roughly the same distance to the bottom of the string for each adjustable pole piece. More distance on the bass side, less on treble. It worked well for me.
That’s awesome. They truly are great pickups…..

Back