2008 DGT tuner button issue

Intentionally Blank

[oops - wrong forum - already requested mods to move it for me]

Well, my three day old new-to-me 2008 DGT high E tuner button just stopped working. I went to tune it and the string just started detuning. I thought maybe I hadn't tightened the string locking mechanism when I did my string change a couple days ago so I detuned it and checked the lock screw, which was properly tightened. When I went to tune back up to pitch the tuning peg just spun, feels like it stripped. I tried tightening the tuner button and sure enough, it just seems to be stripped.

From what I've learned in a few minutes of searching this is a common problem on 08 DGTs. Sucks, have been really playing the crap out of this thing and now it's dead in the water.

Is it just a matter of buying a replacement tuner, or is there some remedy I can try?

This was a very common problem in the first year or two of the DGT. Back then it was rough because you couldn't get the buttons from PRS. They received a lot of calls and emails about these. I think they started making the newer buttons available once they had a new version. You may want to call or email them to see about getting a newer version of the buttons.

Wrong forum or not, does a source exist where I can buy phase 2 tuner replacement buttons in the original cream color that came on my guitar? In doing some searches I’m gathering that these are no longer available. I have an email in to PRS support, waiting for their response.

FYI, heard back from PRS support. They’re recommending Schaller M6 Mini buttons as replacement. Problem is, there’s apparently no cream colored replacement available to match the 08 DGT. Not the end of the world but it would have been cool to retain the original look. Hoping I can still find an alternative.

Update: PRS said "We currently do not offer suitable parts for these tuners." So there you have it - apparently none of their phase III buttons will fit these. If you have an early DGT it appears that the Schaller M6 Mini buttons are the only available replacements, and they're not available in the original cream color. Metallics, ebony, and pearloid only. I ended up going with ebony.

Last edited:
FYI, heard back from PRS support. They’re recommending Schaller M6 Mini buttons as replacement. Problem is, there’s apparently no cream colored replacement available to match the 08 DGT. Not the end of the world but it would have been cool to retain the original look. Hoping I can still find an alternative.

Update: PRS said "We currently do not offer suitable parts for these tuners." So there you have it - apparently none of their phase III buttons will fit these. If you have an early DGT it appears that the Schaller M6 Mini buttons are the only available replacements, and they're not available in the original cream color. Metallics, ebony, and pearloid only. I ended up going with ebony.
Would it be possible to post some pics of what the problem is? I don't quite understand. Thanks.

That is a bummer. I was going to mention the Schaller M6 buttons earlier but I knew they didn't have them in the look that the DGT uses. I put a set of the pearloid buttons on my CU22 so I knew they fit. The ebony buttons will look pretty good on there too though.

Back