2007 PRS experience Paul Jackson JR performence.

Tag

Do you hear him making any mistakes in this? (As in hitting wrong notes) Yes or no. Just had this discussion with a friend, and wondering how others hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
At :29-:30 seconds, I thought I heard a clam. And again at 2:06. But my ADD kicked in shortly afterwards…

But really, are there really any wrong notes in jazz?

I wish I could play wrong notes like that!

Really though, it sounds right on to me, though I admit to knowing nothing about jazz. His playing had a nice melodic aspect woven through it, whereas some of the more snooty jazz seems to aimlessly wander through notes and keys, and to be honest, sounds like a musical version of someone with speech apraxia.

Hey guys,
Thanks for playing along!! ! Jamie...see, you have given me life long scars from TGP. I saw your name pop in in my email notification, and my first reaction was .."Oh no, what did I do wrong this time" :iamconfused: Ha!...............

Yes, there are plenty of wrong notes in jazz. Want to hear my attempt "Giant steps" at more than a snails pace tempo wise? You will hear LOTS of them. :redface: I will post the conversation I had with my friend and what each of us heard or didnt hear after some more people listen and comment. Anyone?

If you ever play a wrong note in Jazz, just play that note a second time and move on. Everyone will think you meant to play that note.

I love this clip, and I love PJJ! The chord progression is obviously just a slow Rhythm changes (I-VI-II-V...in this song Dmaj7/B-7/E-7/A7) I was plying this sound clip, ( I have it on CD as well) and my buddy said he kept making mistakes, so I asked him where. One example of what he was hearing was at 2:27....over the II chord, PJ plays the major 3rd of the VI chord (B-7) making it a B7#9 or the "Hendrix chord", which makes it a V chord of the upcoming E-7 chord, and then plays altered lines in to the E-7 . He does the same thing on the E-7 chord at other places, as well as playing altered lines over the A7 chord. This changes the function of B and E-7 chords, and if you ear is used to hearing only the key center, can really sound "out". I tried explaining this to him, and even played him examples on my guitar. He said.."see, they are wrong notes, just like I said". That put a quick end to the conversation. No one mentioned those parts here, so I take it everyone hears it as Paul did. VERY GOOD! Damn metal players!!!!

But really, are there really any wrong notes in jazz?

HA! Exactly correct!

Yeah, the old metalhead in me is cringing and "Breezin" is soooo ingrained in my mind that anything slightly "out" draws my attention but... PJJ is so bangin' that I figure he meant to play those notes.

In the summer of 1970, I saw Rahsaan Roland Kirk at the Village Vanguard in NYC. Dude played two saxophones and something he called a "nose flute" (yes, by blowing it with his nostril...gross, right? but I digress..) at the same time.

Never hit a wrong note! But if he did, who'd have known? Bet he never worried about it.

That was some righteous noise!

Jazz, baby. Badass jazz.

RIP Rahsaan.

Last edited:
In the summer of 1970, I saw Rahsaan Roland Kirk at the Village Vanguard in NYC. Dude played two saxophones and something he called a "nose flute" (yes, by blowing it with his nostril...gross, right? but I digress..) at the same time.

Never hit a wrong note! But if he did, who'd have known? Bet he never worried about it.

That was some righteous noise!

Jazz, baby. Badass jazz.

RIP Rahsaan.

les,
Thats super cool you got to see him, and trust me, if he hit a wrong note, he would CARE. I was working at a record store in a different life (around 30 plus years ago) and jazz was on the radio. The manager there was a huge jazz fan. This song came on that was really pretty, and not to out there. I could easily follow it even with my "heavy metal" harmonic sense at the time. I asked the manager who the two sax players were, and he said Rahsaan Roland Kirk. I said cool, who was the other guy? He said that was Rahsaan as well. I said was it overdubbed afterwards or something? They were playing in harmony. He said, nope, he does it at the same time. :eek: I am not a huge fan of all of his stuff, but he was a SERIOUS talent, no doubt about it. It was not done for show or gimmick. He could simply hear in his head, and play both parts at the same time, like piano players do, but on sax.

I was lucky enough to see Jackie McClean at the same place way back when. It was the most intense, unreal performance I have ever seen. It was LOUD, and McClean was on FIRE. Almost everyone in the room had their eyes closed and were bopping and swaying to the music. My wife at the time, who was not even a jazz fan, was totally blown away. (As was I) Walking out, no one was even saying much. It was like you took a trip off the planet, and time disappeared for 2 plus hours. Everyone was trying to regain their senses. I imagine that is how a lot of Coltranes concerts were, but Jackie is one of the all time greatest jazz musicians, and he took everyone there, jazz fan or not, on a ride into the cosmos. I will never forget it, and have never experienced anything even close to that in my life.

Go Jackie:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back