2007 McCarty for Silver Sky (fair trade?)

Guitarzan5150

Recently I've been gasing for an S-type guitar (a Silver Sky would be at the top of the list) so I listed my '07 McCarty on kijiji (Canadian Craig's list basically) . I've been offered a bunch of other guitars, an '88 1962 AVRI, an EJ strat a '91 Jeff Beck and a Nash S63. None of them appealed me enough to pull the trigger, they didn't want to add enough cash, or any in some cases.

I then saw an ad for a Silver Sky in which he was open to trades. I messaged and the guy is interested. both our guitars are in near mint shape. I bought the McCarty used, so I have no idea what they went for retail in 2007. I know today's McCarty is 4900$ CAD vs the Silver Sky at 2900$ CAD but I know retail doesn't always equate to the used market. My question is, do you think it's a fair straight up trade?

Older used McCarties are around 18-2K (+/-), and recent used SS (Still in Honeymoon phase???) are around the same, maybe a little less... I'd think you should get a little cash to make it "fair"...
But, it also depends on what you have into the used McCarty (did you get a really good deal when you bought it used??) , and would you play the SS more???

I didn't buy it new. I got what I think is a great deal. i paid 1800$ CAD (~1400$ USD) about 2 years ago, so I'm a little more comfortable value-wise overall because of what I paid. I don't think i'll lose money if I decide to flip it down the road (at least relative to what I paid) I think the market may be a little different here too.

I've had it listed for 2500$ CAD (~1900$USD) and have gotten no interest whatsoever on a cash deal. Just a bunch of low ball trade offers. I would almost certainly use the SS more. Right now, the McCarty gets used very little because I always reach for my Les Paul when I want to play a humbucker guitar. I don't currently have an S-style guitar, only a Tele, so it would fill a gap.

Also, I am a big fan of PRS guitars in general and I think I would much more enjoy a SS than any other S-style guitar (at least that in my price range, which is what I'd be able to get for the McCarty)

A good trade is getting something you really want for something you don't. Both could be valued around the same figure - depending on condition etc but whether the value in say 10yrs is worth it, I don't know. Silver Sky's seem to be holding a decent used market price and PRS can't make them quick enough but in 10yrs, who knows. The McCarty could be more desirable...

At the end of the day, you have to decide whether the trade is it worth it to you. Can you get (up to) $2900 CAD for it now? Can you get enough to buy a used SS? Are you playing your McCarty or is it basically 'dead money' - money tied up in something you don't use? Will the Silver Sky bring you joy and make you want to play it everyday? I would trade a McCarty for a Silver Sky IF I thought the Silver Sky would bring me a lot more joy, make me want to play it all the time etc - especially if the McCarty is just sat there. Maybe I would try selling first but if the market isn't there or not willing to pay enough to buy a used or new SS, then why not trade. Financial value of these things is only what people are willing to spend - hence it fluctuates based on supply and demand.

I can't tell you what to do or whether its a fair trade. Financially, it doesn't seem too unfair despite the obvious price difference a 'new' version of either model costs. There is at least a 10yr difference in the age of the guitars - not that it matters to much (unless that's also affected the condition) but ultimately, there are factors that only you can answer. If you don't 'plan' to sell the SS, what difference does its 'value' make? If you enjoy playing it a LOT more, use it a lot more, what 'value' is that to you - worth maybe losing a bit financially to have something you actually want? If you don't think its 'financially' worth it, try selling the McCarty and use that money to buy a used or even new Silver Sky (if that's what you want) but if you aren't getting the offers, the interest etc, then why not trade?

I've always said that a trade value is worth what you think it is worth. If you value the SS more than the McCarty then it is worth more than the McCarty...to you. Don't worry about anything else. $100 either way isn't enough to change your satisfaction level if you prefer the SS.

I didn't buy it new. I got what I think is a great deal. i paid 1800$ CAD (~1400$ USD) about 2 years ago, so I'm a little more comfortable value-wise overall because of what I paid. I don't think i'll lose money if I decide to flip it down the road (at least relative to what I paid) I think the market may be a little different here too.

I've had it listed for 2500$ CAD (~1900$USD) and have gotten no interest whatsoever on a cash deal. Just a bunch of low ball trade offers. I would almost certainly use the SS more. Right now, the McCarty gets used very little because I always reach for my Les Paul when I want to play a humbucker guitar. I don't currently have an S-style guitar, only a Tele, so it would fill a gap.

As you posted this just before my post above, that tells me you won't get enough to buy a new Silver Sky. I don't know what 'used' prices are in Canada for SS, but I would be surprised if you would break even if you priced and sold your McCarty to sell. Obviously $2.5k is not attracting the attention you wanted so you may not get the price of a good used SS or at best, break even so a trade seems fair - assuming the condition is great too.

It seems like you will get a great deal - a guitar you actually want and will play...

A good trade is getting something you really want for something you don't. Both could be valued around the same figure - depending on condition etc but whether the value in say 10yrs is worth it, I don't know. Silver Sky's seem to be holding a decent used market price and PRS can't make them quick enough but in 10yrs, who knows. The McCarty could be more desirable...

At the end of the day, you have to decide whether the trade is it worth it to you. Can you get (up to) $2900 CAD for it now? Can you get enough to buy a used SS? Are you playing your McCarty or is it basically 'dead money' - money tied up in something you don't use? Will the Silver Sky bring you joy and make you want to play it everyday? I would trade a McCarty for a Silver Sky IF I thought the Silver Sky would bring me a lot more joy, make me want to play it all the time etc - especially if the McCarty is just sat there. Maybe I would try selling first but if the market isn't there or not willing to pay enough to buy a used or new SS, then why not trade. Financial value of these things is only what people are willing to spend - hence it fluctuates based on supply and demand.

I can't tell you what to do or whether its a fair trade. Financially, it doesn't seem too unfair despite the obvious price difference a 'new' version of either model costs. There is at least a 10yr difference in the age of the guitars - not that it matters to much (unless that's also affected the condition) but ultimately, there are factors that only you can answer. If you don't 'plan' to sell the SS, what difference does its 'value' make? If you enjoy playing it a LOT more, use it a lot more, what 'value' is that to you - worth maybe losing a bit financially to have something you actually want? If you don't think its 'financially' worth it, try selling the McCarty and use that money to buy a used or even new Silver Sky (if that's what you want) but if you aren't getting the offers, the interest etc, then why not trade?
A lot of this resonates with me. I think the alternative would be to sell the McCarty and then go the cheaper route, like an American standard and pocket the rest of the cash (or buy other gear that I don't need of course). I'll then probably be not completely satisfied and wonder and end up looking for something else. I think if it's 100$ difference give or take, I'm willing to pay that premium to stop looking for the right guitar. I've been through 5 different strat and can't find one I end up keeping. I of course need to play the SS first, but it seems to be everything I find I don't like in a strat to be addressed and as it should.
As you posted this just before my post above, that tells me you won't get enough to buy a new Silver Sky. I don't know what 'used' prices are in Canada for SS, but I would be surprised if you would break even if you priced and sold your McCarty to sell. Obviously $2.5k is not attracting the attention you wanted so you may not get the price of a good used SS or at best, break even so a trade seems fair - assuming the condition is great too.

It seems like you will get a great deal - a guitar you actually want and will play...
Yeah, that's my problem. I think the alternative is to wait it out, sell and then be on the lookout for the right guitar. If I end up wanting the SS in the end, and can't find one used, I'll have to dish out the extra money to buy new. I'm not a big fan of buying new, I don't think it's the best value. I just wanted to make sure I'm not loosing my shirt here. But from the sounds of it, right now it's pretty close. If i'm "overpaying" a little to get exactly what I want, I think I'm OK with that. As long as it's not that big of a gap.

Also, I am a big fan of PRS guitars in general and I think I would much more enjoy a SS than any other S-style guitar (at least that in my price range, which is what I'd be able to get for the McCarty)
I mean, sounds like you already know what you want to do.

Just curious, what makes you grab your LP instead of your McCarty?

As far as trade goes, it's not a bad deal but if you didn't like the SS you might take a beating trying to sell it. Used guitar market is crap right now.

Just curious, what makes you grab your LP instead of your McCarty?

As far as trade goes, it's not a bad deal but if you didn't like the SS you might take a beating trying to sell it. Used guitar market is crap right now.
Tone and feel. I'm OK with the big neck on the McCarty, I obviously liked it when I bought it, I just prefer the Les Paul. I like the tone I get out of it a little bit more. I've tried a pickup swap in the McCarty as well (and ended up putting the stock McCarty PUPs back in) and it was a little different, but not enough to prefer it over the Les Paul.

Tone and feel. I'm OK with the big neck on the McCarty, I obviously liked it when I bought it, I just prefer the Les Paul. I like the tone I get out of it a little bit more. I've tried a pickup swap in the McCarty as well (and ended up putting the stock McCarty PUPs back in) and it was a little different, but not enough to prefer it over the Les Paul.
What pickup did you try in your McCarty?

I didn't bond with the bridge McCarty pickup. 5909s in my McCarty cured me of wanting another LP.

I never could gel with the LP layout. I had a 594 sc that I didn't keep.

It obviously works for you and that A OK.

What pickup did you try in your McCarty?

I didn't bond with the bridge McCarty pickup. 5909s in my McCarty cured me of wanting another LP.

I never could gel with the LP layout. I had a 594 sc that I didn't keep.

It obviously works for you and that A OK.
I tried a seymour duncan custom (supposed to be similar to PRS Tremonti treble) and it was OK for higher gain stuff, but maybe a bit too much gain. I like Tremonti's tone when I listen to it, it jsut doesn't translate to my playing as well. I also tried a duncan custom 5 (same pickup but with an alnico 5 instead of ceramic magnet), which is what I currently have in my Les Paul, and it was good as well, but still not quite as good as it works with the Les Paul. This is just my opinion of course. I had a Studio for many years, so maybe it's familiarity. I think if I do go through with the trade, I may look for another PRS in the future, but this time I think i'd go for a custom 22 or 24 (or something with a trem) for a little more variety from a Les Paul.

I’m in the process of trading off guitars to get what I want, and on occasion that’s meant losing or gaining a little. I figure that, by the time I’m through, I’ll have as much as 20% fewer guitars, but a greater percentage of guitars I really like and play. That’s a win for me, because it’s more about making music than it is dollars and numbers.

You want a SS, you have a guitar you don’t play that’ll put it in your hands. Do it! No one knows what the future value of anything is going to be. I’d rather have a guitar I played the strings off of for 20 years that’s now worth half of its original price than a case queen that’s gained some marginal value.

That’s just one point of view from a non-collector who loves playing. YMMV

I’m in the process of trading off guitars to get what I want, and on occasion that’s meant losing or gaining a little. I figure that, by the time I’m through, I’ll have as much as 20% fewer guitars, but a greater percentage of guitars I really like and play. That’s a win for me, because it’s more about making music than it is dollars and numbers.

You want a SS, you have a guitar you don’t play that’ll put it in your hands. Do it! No one knows what the future value of anything is going to be. I’d rather have a guitar I played the strings off of for 20 years that’s now worth half of its original price than a case queen that’s gained some marginal value.

That’s just one point of view from a non-collector who loves playing. YMMV
Makes sense. I don't think either will become collector's pieces (at least not for another 50 year), so at the end of the day, I don't think it'll matter very much. I was a bit hung up on the retail price gap at first, but seeing as I didn't pay retail, that shouldn't really factor in to it. I'm going for it. I'm just working out the details because it's out of town, and I'm not heading his way for a couple weeks. Unless someone comes out and offers me full price of what I've listed it, I'll make the trade. If that happens, i'll still get it at his cash asking price and pocket a couple hundred in the process.

I think I'll get a lot more use out of the SS. When I get some extra cash, I'll probably be on the lookout for a custom 22 or 24. Or maybe even a CE24.

Back