2004- 2006 513 Rosewood: Were all international ones Brazilian?

Jazzedout

More Guitars than Time...
Is it possible that some original 513s for the European market were not brw but Indian rosewood?
Is there a way to tell?

I have seen 2 513 that state IRW as the neck and fretboard wood, but they both are in Europe, so it could be that export ones were IRW.
Could someone from the US see if their BRW 513 has an IRW modcat?

Mine (2005 - US dealer) sure was. I saw many others, and they all said IRW, (including Dancing Frog's).

Yes, I have 3 US, one from each year from 2005-2007; and they are all IRW MODCAT's, FTM2FTRFIBT.... They also do not have a "10" stamped on the back of the headstock.

As far as the one on ebay, it looks like the genuine article. From the color of the wood and figure, I would probably guess it's a 2005, maybe, a 2006. As the 513 rosewood hit the end of the run, there were more knots followed by lighter colored rosewood, sometimes as light as sand.

DSC_0002.jpg
The 2006 is on the left, and the 2005 is on the right.
DSC_0167.jpg

It's serial number is also between my 2005 and my 2006, so it checks out.

As far as the international ones being IRW, some were and some weren't. The earlier ones were Brazzy. It wasn't until the big bust in Brazil in Dec 2006-Jan 2007 if I recall correctly where a couple of guys got busted slipping illegally harvested logs into the stump wood shipments that people started getting really cautious. The original ones were from a supply of wood bought from Martin I believe, left over legally harvested scraps that couldn't be used for backs or sides.

Last edited:
I have seen 2 513 that state IRW as the neck and fretboard wood, but they both are in Europe, so it could be that export ones were IRW.
Could someone from the US see if their BRW 513 has an IRW modcat?

My USA model (2005) is BRW, but does indeed have an IRW modcat.

Back