2002 Standard 24.

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by No Not Now, Jul 20, 2018.

1. No Not Now

No Not Now New Member

I'm looking for promotional information on my 2002 Standard 24 natural mahogany w/moon inlays. I've had it for about six years and have only seen one since on ebay. Nothing found in web and image searches and no PRS catalog pictures. Was it a popular model? How many were made? Has anyone got a catalog/magazine in which this model is featured? Thanks for your time!

2. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

I recommend emailing PRS customer service with the serial number. They are generally happy to tell you everything about their guitars.

3. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Was it a popular model? In comparison to it's sister, the Cu24, no it wasn't. Still there may have been a few hundred made that year. My 2004 is wonderful. Paul has said that early on he thought the standards would sell as well as the Customs. It was a surprise to him that they did not. I guess everyone wants that maple top.

How many were made? To my knowledge the number made is not available.

Has anyone got a catalog/magazine in which this model is featured? I became a PRS addict in 2006 so the first catalog I have is 2007. There may be others in here who have what you ate looking for.

dogrocketp and Collywobbles like this.
  4. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

I agree with AP.

PRS had a big model lineup at the time, so the Standards probably got outshined. They were definitely popular in earlier years, though.

I have a couple of price lists and catalogs from around that time. I even have a promotional DVD. I'll check to see what years I have.

dogrocketp likes this.
  5. No Not Now

No Not Now New Member

Thanks for your replies so far, already shedding some light on the subject for me, I appreciate it!

6. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 New Member

Congrats on the standard 24, I have a standard 22 from 2001. I have a price list and catalog from 2001 (will upload pics as soon as I get chance) the list price for the standard's in 2001 were $2,400

here's a couple of pages from the 2006 catalog to tide you over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my 2001 Standard 22 (looks black but is actually Tranlucent Purple)
    [​IMG]

7. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 New Member

Pages from 2001 catalog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what I can gather the standard 24 evolved from the original all mahogany guitar circa 1985, finaly named as the "Standard" in 1987. Pickups were originally Standard Treble and Standard Bass but changed to to HFS Treble and Vintage Bass by November '91. Gloss finish phased out in 2006, Satin standards from 2007 - 2008.

Full 2001 catalog here =
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157696140717662/with/41749128840/

JJJ, dogrocketp, Collywobbles and 2 others like this.
  8. No Not Now

No Not Now New Member

Well that's what I wanted to know! Thanks very much, Fullmoon'. Excellent work, Sir!
    I couldn't afford to buy old catalogs in the hope of the getting the right one, so that link you provided is just the ticket.
    That's a nice '22 you've got there, too.
    Thanks again, keep it greasy!

9. Collywobbles

Collywobbles New Member

And the relevant bits from the 1985 catalogue, which as Fullmoon noted features your guitar's ancestor, which was originally just called the PRS Guitar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Collywobbles

Collywobbles New Member

I'd estimate/guestimate 2 Customs to every one PRS guitar for 1985 (first year of factory production) and then a LOT less going forward as it wasn't popular in comparison to the Custom.

#10 Collywobbles, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  11. garrett

I have catalogs from 2001 and 2003. I have the price list from 2002. Here is the Standard page. Prices went up vs. 2001.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dogrocketp and Fullmoon 1971 like this.
  12. No Not Now

No Not Now New Member

Thanks, Collywobbles. Thanks, garrett.
    Good info. I've never understood the desire for bird inlays, I'll take moons every time.

13. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

Aside from being less $$$$, the Standards also have a voice all their own...some like it, some don't, but most definitely different than on a maple topped guitar!!!
    Congrats, and Enjoy!!!! (Most LOVE solid HOG!!!)

dogrocketp and AP515 like this.
  14. garrett

I'm with you on the moons. I resisted birdies until PRS dragged me kicking and screaming into the land where birds are the only inlay on most guitars.

dogrocketp likes this.
  15. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I don't understand the fight either way. Some won't consider a PRS unless it has birds. Others won't consider one that does. I like birds on a bling'd out PRS and I like moons on a workhorse. There are also the dots on some models. I'm ok with those too, but I prefer the moons. Nice touch to make a PRS unique. I wish they would go back to them.

dogrocketp likes this.
  16. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I’ll take birds, I’ll take moons!

As one wise gent on here recently said: “I like mooning birds”:D

17. KevinK

KevinK New Member

I've always loved the simplicity of a standard with moons..

Collywobbles likes this.
  18. JJJ

JJJ asleep

All mahogany guitars are pretty awesome. Yeah maple tops sound pretty nice but owning both - something about a really resonant one piece body that tightens the pants.

Fullmoon 1971 and Collywobbles like this.
  19. JJJ

JJJ asleep

And to OP, as far as I can see this is another case of an odd older model becoming popular once it's gone. I have seen a few of these floating around for sale and they seem to move pretty quick. Just like the old CEs have a pretty decent s/h market, largely thanks to the fact the new ones aren't quite the same I think

Collywobbles and Fullmoon 1971 like this.