2002 McSoapy

Glenn Gross

Another Old Guy
My local shop (formerly carried PRS) bought out a small local collection. Just about all the guitars have remained virtually unplaced since new. While most were Gibsons, there is a 2002 (maybe 2004) mint 10 top McSoapy. It’s Matteo Blue, with a Indian Rosewood neck and gold hardware. There’s a guy with dibs on it and I’m number two if he doesn’t take it. The hang tag is still on it and all the paperwork is in the plastic bag like it was just delivered. In case I get a shot at it I’d be interested in any opinions on its value. Since we can’t discuss prices here, feel free to message me. I haven’t seen anything just like this recently, but I’ll look for past Reverb sales in the meantime.

I have no idea about value, but I had a 2005 or 2006 McSoapy with a RW neck, and it was a superb instrument, as with so many PRSes, one I should have hung onto.

It's why I bought my 594 Soapy. PRS does nice things with their soapbar guitars.

Love my mcsoapy. Totally different wood specs, but for all intends a s purposes a truly wonderful guitar. PUs are indeed a little hot. Replaced mine wit a set wolfetone Mean and mean-10%. Sounded great before, sounds even better now.

Good luck! Hope you can grab it

Thanks Les. Some have complained about the pickups and replaced them. I take it you had no issues?

No issues for me. I dug 'em. They sounded incredibly good with the Two-Rocks I played at the time. So that may be part of it.

The P-90s PRS used during that era are definitely brighter/glassier than the ones on my recent 594 Soapbar. I liked having that brightness. I simply used the tone and volume controls for a more vintage sound when I wanted it.

If you hate using the tone control, and you're not into a brighter sound, by all means swap 'em out.

For comparison purposes, the P-90s on my 594 - Also Duncans, but their Antiquity version - sound like the P-90s on my 1965 SG Special. But for the maple top on the 594, I think I'd have a hard time telling them apart.

However, I got a very similar vintage sound just by turning the volume and tone controls down a bit with my McSoapy, and I ALSO had the option of getting more gain out of the front end of the amp just by turning 'em up. To me, that's a nice tradeoff.

Lots of people swear by ten zillion specialty pickup makers. I like the Duncans. But we're all different - I'd never tell anyone what they oughta like. Gotta go with your gut.

Last edited:
I may not even end up with it, but I’ve got some vintage P90 guitars to compare it with. It’s the rosewood neck that could send me over the edge.

The RW neck is really nice with the Soapbar pickups. Not that the mahogany neck isn't...but I thought the neck and pickups complimented each other well.

If only I could find a pic of the guitar to add to its droolsomeness. Violin Amber Burst, Artist Package, was the NAMM show McSoapy that year.

"But how did it sound, Les?"

"Well, they pick the NAMM stuff both for looks and tone. I thought it sounded magnificent."
Love my 594 soapy, and would be over the moon with a RW neck... or maybe roasted maple. Anyway, killer combo!

Thanks Les. Some have complained about the pickups and replaced them. I take it you had no issues?

PIckups are very subjective, but I have no problems with the stock P90 pickups in my 2009 Korina McCarty (McSoaporina). Replacing them has never crossed my mind.

Back