2001 - An Amp Odyssey

It’s a very cool amp! Has a sweet Blackface tone and breaks up beautifully! I did some web listening.

Les,

If perhaps you have not had an opportunity to listen to a really good guitarist from Spain (Alberto Barrero) do justice to this amp, here's your chance...FTR, this is what inspired me towards a purchase...the combo seems better than the head/cab, the 35W 6L6 slightly warmer than the 6V6 powered 15W...

Granted, Alberto uses an obscure overdrive in front of the amp, but there are comparable overdrives on the market that will provide the tones you desire...

And the 15W Singleman...

Last edited:
Les, if you post stuff like this Bodia is going to send you a t-shirt with it printed on the front. He's already asking around what size you might wear.

Hah!

You’ll be greatly relieved to know that I don’t ever wear t-shirts with printing on them. Just saved Bodia a few bucks!

Plus, I have plenty of digital recording stuff, and two digital effects pedals.

I prefer tube amps. That’s merely personal choice.

Of course, the reason it’s my personal choice is because my ears work. ;)

See, I already knew Les doesn't do t-shirts with printing on them. That's why I rented a Cessna with a "Les Does Digital" banner to fly around the Detriot metro area this week.

A couple more amp heads I got a chance to test out recently.

Engl Gigmaster 15 - Sounded great in the lead channel, easy to control with the power soak feature, 15w clean channel wouldn't cut the mustard for a jazz gig, only had one gain tone so could be a one trick pony. (I guess I was spoiled on Mesa's voice switching) Still waiting to run across an Ironball.

Friedman PT20 - This was a surprise letdown, I had heard so many good things about this amp and I just did not connect with it. One channel and the gain tone was just not as fabulous as all the reviews I've read about it. It was mint/almost brand new on consignment so maybe that was a hint that maybe folks buy that amp for the wrong reasons or it's just not what is advertised. Very surprising considering the stellar reviews I've read.

Friedman PT20 - This was a surprise letdown, I had heard so many good things about this amp and I just did not connect with it. One channel and the gain tone was just not as fabulous as all the reviews I've read about it. It was mint/almost brand new on consignment so maybe that was a hint that maybe folks buy that amp for the wrong reasons or it's just not what is advertised. Very surprising considering the stellar reviews I've read.

I watched a video demo of the amp. It reminded me of the old Epiphone Valve Jr. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s also not necessarily a good thing.

I watched a video demo of the amp. It reminded me of the old Epiphone Valve Jr. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s also not necessarily a good thing.

I found it to be more like a souped up Marshall but the texture of the gain was what threw me, grainy is the best term I can find. Maybe I'm just so used to the smoothness of Mesa gain, not sure but I just didn't connect with it.

I found it to be more like a souped up Marshall but the texture of the gain was what threw me, grainy is the best term I can find. Maybe I'm just so used to the smoothness of Mesa gain, not sure but I just didn't connect with it.

Have you tried Mesa’s Fillmore 25?

I'm almost Boogie born & bred, I know the whole line. If I were to go back it'd most likely be a Mark series head but I'm still on that journey and who knows where I'll end up with this.

I get it!

I was more or less reacting to your post stating that you like the Mesa type of overdrive texture. Like you, distortion has to be the right texture for me, or I’m turned off.

I’ve usually had at least one Mesa amp around for 25 years or so. When you need that Mesa thing, it’s hard to find other amps having that texture/tone/whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

I’m big on amps with strong personality, as opposed to “one size fits all” amps. The PRS amps, and most Mesa amps, have that. As do any number of other boutique amp makers. I guess the trick is finding stuff that whispers in your ear, “You can’t live without me. Take me home now. I’ll make you all warm inside.”

It’s sad that I’ve reached the point in life where only amps say that to me, not women. :(

It’s sad that I’ve reached the point in life where only amps say that to me, not women. :(

....... buy some "Just For Men", a Porche, and get a face lift.
Problem solved:).

rc3dhvb.gif

Back