2001 - An Amp Odyssey

Beer?.....

No man, in the south they drink Retsina.

FxtOJJn.jpg

Damnit, now I want a guy-ro for lunch :D

One thing I will share from my explorations, "POWER SCALING" is the real deal. The Suhr amp I tested had it as a feature and it sounded 100 times better than the attenuator I owned.
You should try 3rd Power then. Hard to find in the wild though to demo...

You should try 3rd Power then. Hard to find in the wild though to demo...

Funny you mention that, I was at a shop testing out an Engl Gigmaster and one of the guys there mentioned it and that they had one but it was being re-tubed due to power failure. I've heard good things about the "Hybridmaster" technology and that it works as well, if not better than the power scaling on the Suhr amps, but at $3000 new..... ............................................outta my league.:p

My “experience” with the Citizen Gain Reverb (conspicuously left out the K-word) prompted me to keep an eye out for one of those or the Kitchen Sink, which replaces it. The price tag is right there with PRS CAD amps of yesteryear, so it doesn’t shock me as much now. But like you mention, the used market doesn’t exist - again, like the PRS CAD amps.

“Les, there’s a mysterious monolith in your studio in the basement...”

“Thanks for the heads-up! Hmmm...yes...yes, I understand now. It’s...well...it’s singing somethin, and seem to intuitively understand it, even though I’ve never heard this language before.”

“What’s it singing?”

“It sounds.like...well...it’s saying, ‘Build more tube amps’.”

Funny you mention that, I was at a shop testing out an Engl Gigmaster and one of the guys there mentioned it and that they had one but it was being re-tubed due to power failure. I've heard good things about the "Hybridmaster" technology and that it works as well, if not better than the power scaling on the Suhr amps, but at $3000 new..... ............................................outta my league.:p

My “experience” with the Citizen Gain Reverb (conspicuously left out the K-word) prompted me to keep an eye out for one of those or the Kitchen Sink, which replaces it. The price tag is right there with PRS CAD amps of yesteryear, so it doesn’t shock me as much now. But like you mention, the used market doesn’t exist - again, like the PRS CAD amps.

You might be able to find some Dream Plexi heads out there for about half the price used. Those are single channel with the Hybrid master control. Hand wired in the USA tube amps are expensive! Typically worth it though

“Les, there’s a mysterious monolith in your studio in the basement...”

“Thanks for the heads-up! Hmmm...yes...yes, I understand now. It’s...well...it’s singing somethin, and seem to intuitively understand it, even though I’ve never heard this language before.”

“What’s it singing?”

“It sounds.like...well...it’s saying, ‘Build more tube amps’.”

Also Sprach Sewell? ;)

Les, if you post stuff like this Bodia is going to send you a t-shirt with it printed on the front. He's already asking around what size you might wear.

Hah!

You’ll be greatly relieved to know that I don’t ever wear t-shirts with printing on them. Just saved Bodia a few bucks!

Plus, I have plenty of digital recording stuff, and two digital effects pedals.

I prefer tube amps. That’s merely personal choice.

Of course, the reason it’s my personal choice is because my ears work. ;)

This may not be “the” solution @HuggyB is looking for, but here goes...

Based on what Huggy has already written, I’m not sure of what is required...a quality 6L6 or EL34 based single channel amp that produces amazing and tone-inspiring cleans from which effects can be added (hence keeping base MSRP to the single channel amp), or another type of 2 or 3 channel amp (which adds extra gain stages, electronics, cost, weight, etc).

If it were me, I think I’d consider what alternatives exist, do as much YT research as humanly possible, and search for retailers (both new and used sellers) that would allow me to receive the highest quality and most cost-effective amp (with power attenuation onboard, if possible) within my budget.

Many people nowadays place a high value on getting what they expect from life, and material goods and services are just 2 aspects of what people desire..

If it were me, I’d wisely invest in a quality single channel clean amp that can push some air. Then, build around that an effects array that covers my needs adequately. Why? Because effects are much easier to downsize if perhaps they don’t meet your expectations, they can be as versatile as the extra features on a much more expensive 2 or 3 channel amp, and lastly, trying to sell an amp includes factors like weight, shipping costs, and additional fees. Case in point, effects cost less, are widely available, and are much more shipment-friendly than amps.

All said and done, my suggestion to @HuggyB is to locate a high quality clean platform on which to build his tone. If perhaps you must know, my Brunetti Singleman 35W 1x12 Combo may not be well-recognized in the US, but has made in-roads in Europe, and provides vintage blackface cleans (with a full, half, and quarter power switching capability). Only 1 channel....but it’s beautifully designed and suits my needs quite well...

If perhaps you must know, my Brunetti Singleman 35W 1x12 Combo may not be well-recognized in the US, but has made in-roads in Europe, and provides vintage blackface cleans (with a full, half, and quarter power switching capability). Only 1 channel....but it’s beautifully designed and suits my needs quite well...

It’s a very cool amp! Has a sweet Blackface tone and breaks up beautifully! I did some web listening.

Back