2 x volume with 2 x tone vs 1 x volume and 1 x tone?

Mixstar

Just too tired . . .
Does anyone have any idea why some models only have one volume and one tone? I personally would only go for a guitar with two of each, it seems to me that only having one of each cuts down on set up options.

It's a good question, from my perspective it is historical, (that is how PRSh first did it). Now as to why he first did it, maybe someone else can answer. He didn't finally agree to a 4 control layout until he was building the first SC's in 2000. While it is true that it cuts down on options, it also cuts down on complexity. It's pretty simple to operate the 1-1 controls and I don't think you loose much in terms of tone. Evidently DG and BM did think it was worth adding one more volume knob, and I can see the point, but I still don't use two different volumes in songs much (maybe others do).

Paul used master volume and tone from the start. I think they went with the four knob layout on the Singlecut to better appeal to LP users.

I've always liked the master controls for their simplicity, but have recently taken a liking to separate volumes to tweak the middle position sound. There was a long time when I would reject a guitar outright if it had a four knob layout.

Back