2 recently acquired Marks.

grayn

Over the last few weeks I have acquired 2 signature, SE range guitars. A Mark Tremonti and a Mark Holcomb.
I got the Tremonti preowned, about 3 weeks ago. It's the charcoal signature model and the previous owner had already added PRS
locking tuners. It looks darker in person and overall has a great charisma. It plays very smoothly, with the usual PRS superb
trem system. The only thing I wasn't so keen on was the pickups. A little bland and lifeless, IMO. I will be using it for metal and
hard rock, so have had a Seymour Duncan Nazgul fitted at the bridge. I was worried I may have gone too far with a Nazgul but
it sounds perfect for this guitar. Strong, very clear but still with some warmth, sparkle and character. High output but not crazily so.
A.jpg

Then a couple of days ago I picked up a Mark Holcomb, in Holcomb burst. It was on special offer and was all I was hoping it
would be. This guitar was designed to be in Drop-C tuning, something I've been itching to try for some time. It's 25.5 inch
scale and 10-52 strings make this work and very well. I really like the Seymour Duncan Alpha - Omega pickups too. They
are similar to to active EMGs, to my ears and work with this guitar and it's tuning perfectly. Loads of definition and great
articulation in both clean and heavy distortion set ups. It is a solid yet light guitar and the 24 fret, 20 inch radius fretboard took
a few minutes to get used to but once I did, I love playing this guitar. The lower tuning works so well and inspires all sorts of
riffage.
A.jpg

Nice pair! Congrats.
First time I’ve seen the word “charisma” used to describe a guitar. Usually that’s used to try and lure someone into dating a…um…less than desirable person.:p:D
I have a GREAT charisma, for instance. ;)

Congrats! The Holcomb is a steal, especially when you consider the value of the pickups. I like the pickups a lot as well - I ended up putting a set in my SE7, and then ended up buying the Holcomb 7 as well when it was released. Pretty much every demo I saw Mark do, he made a special point of emphasizing how much he liked the middle position w/the pickups split. Clean, it's just gorgeous.

Congrats! The Holcomb is a steal, especially when you consider the value of the pickups. I like the pickups a lot as well - I ended up putting a set in my SE7, and then ended up buying the Holcomb 7 as well when it was released. Pretty much every demo I saw Mark do, he made a special point of emphasizing how much he liked the middle position w/the pickups split. Clean, it's just gorgeous.
Agreed and I also love the bridge HB pickup clean.
Distortion wise, the pedal I am using with the Holcomb is a Blackstar Dept 10 Dual Distortion. It seems a match made in heaven, or hell in Metal terms. With the quality and power of the pickups, the best metal sound comes with the gain dialled down to just past the 9 o'clock position. it sounds awesome.
dept-10-dual-distortion-hd-182026.jpg

Sweet pair. Besides the Nazgûl, what’s in the neck? I’ve thought about putting the Nazgûl and. Sentient in the neck of my LP, for heavier stuff. But I’ve heard they are very musically sounding pickups, or maybe versatile is a better word. More than just for metal if thats a compliment.

Sweet pair. Besides the Nazgûl, what’s in the neck? I’ve thought about putting the Nazgûl and. Sentient in the neck of my LP, for heavier stuff. But I’ve heard they are very musically sounding pickups, or maybe versatile is a better word. More than just for metal if thats a compliment.
I still have the original Tremonti pickup in the neck but am thinking of replacing it with a Sentient. I agree that the Nazgul isn't just a power pickup, it has plenty of warmth and sparkle too. Yes, a musical pickup.

Awesome haul! I also have a Holcomb, and love it. It feels like it's a bit under-the-radar around here, but I think it's a really great guitar, even more so considering the price too

The Sentient pickup is an outstanding pickup. I have it in a few guitars and have some other sets with that as a neck pickup that I am about to install in several other guitars. The Alpha & Omega are outstanding pickups and the Black Winter set is a very versatile set that does everything well. The Pegasus and Sentient work well together also as does the Nazgul and Sentient. A lot of it depends on desired outcome and the guitar you are putting them in, etc. If I can help further I am happy to do so. I have been around this block MANY TIMES so I do have some applicable understanding and experience. :)

Back